+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Spain let Iniesta down...

Spain let Iniesta down...

Can't believe Iniesta is the one retiring from that side - they looked lost without him

Re: Spain let Iniesta down...

With Xavi gone, and now Iniesta retiring, they should retire the snoozefest that is tiki taka.

They won one game in four this World Cup, against Iran, so no great loss for me that they’ve gone out.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    With Xavi gone, and now Iniesta retiring, they should retire the snoozefest that is tiki taka.

They won one game in four this World Cup, against Iran, so no great loss for me that they’ve gone out.
    I feel exactly the same. Don't like watching Spain play.
    The commentators waxing lyrical about the fact that they have played 35 passes as they approach the half way line, only to pass back to Ramos, who then promptly passes back to DeGea.
    Snooze football

Our Neil would have them all shot.

Analysts put the clock on them. 1'49" 41 passes (no challenge) - not one player making a forward run. Possession for possession sake

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Didn't deserve to win that game either.

Xavi and Iniesta are the best midfield partnership I have ever seen.

Fabregas made the point that tika-taka today was defensive tika-taka rather than the offensive version Spain used with Xavi and Iniesta in their prime.

Should Spain play like Barcelona if their team is made up of Real Madrid, Atleti Madrid and premier league players? Or is it that Pep no longer coaches in Spain and therefore they're not as good as it as a nation any longer?

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Fabregas made the point that tika-taka today was defensive tika-taka rather than the offensive version Spain used with Xavi and Iniesta in their prime.

Should Spain play like Barcelona if their team is made up of Real Madrid, Atleti Madrid and premier league players? Or is it that Pep no longer coaches in Spain and therefore they're not as good as it as a nation any longer?
    Fabregas is right as well. I want major football tournaments to be won by teams that try to impose their positive attitude on to their opponents and do not sit back too scared to have the ball as they prey off opposition mistakes. Sides which play without fear should win major tournaments and around a decade ago, a version of tika taka started being played that was brave and positive and, as a result, the trophies start rolling in for Spain and Barcelona.

Spain weren't brave yesterday, they were arrogant in the way they believed one, soft, goal was enough for them and cowardly as nearly all of their players continuously looked to pass on the responsibility of doing something which may have lost them the ball, but also may have opened up the Russian defence.

I prefer to see sides playing a passing game that has a purpose over the version of the game a team like City plays, but how anyone can think the version of tika taka that Spain played yesterday is playing football "the right way" is beyond me.

Your right, Bob, nobody prepared to take the responsibility of trying to beat an opponent. One of the commentators mentioned the fact that Wales beat Russia in the Euros by running at them, how many of Spain's players tried that yesterday. Spain didn't deserve to go through after that performance.

Glad they're out. So boring to watch.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

One of the commentators noted that wales had beaten Russia 3-0 by playing more direct football and running at defenders
    I think it was clear from the game Spain were playing that approach was not in their playbook

The game
    In Spain
    Has gone mainly
    Down the drain

The general consensus on social media at the moment is that Messi is shit cos he's been carried by the Spain players and is overrated, then the Spain players are shit cos they play sideways and backwards and don't create anything yet Barcelona and Real Madrid have pretty much dominated European football the last 10 years and Barcelona have completely dominated Spain!

Hmmmmmmm

Technically brilliant team but look without direction.

All about risk for me, even at 1-1 they rarely try that risky pass or shot that could win the game. That's the difference in how man City play or how Barca used to. Pass pass pass and then as you get closer to goal speed it up and create something.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    The general consensus on social media at the moment is that Messi is shit cos he's been carried by the Spain players and is overrated, then the Spain players are shit cos they play sideways and backwards and don't create anything yet Barcelona and Real Madrid have pretty much dominated European football the last 10 years and Barcelona have completely dominated Spain!

Hmmmmmmm
    Dodgy refs and gamesmanship?

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

Hmmmmmmm
    Couldn't make it up mate, Spain struggle in the final third and Costa is probably the worst type of striker they actually need, a was surprised they didn't take fabregas or morata

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Dodgy refs and gamesmanship?
    For 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Couldn't make it up mate, Spain struggle in the final third and Costa is probably the worst type of striker they actually need, a was surprised they didn't take fabregas or morata
    To be honest mate I was disgusted by Hierro's tactics on Sunday and throughout the whole competition.

Silva, Iniesta, Thiago and Isco are all fabulous footballers but none of them are known for their goal scoring instinct so playing them all together without asking them to play further up the field was madness.

I suppose that's why he brought in Asensio but he has become a shadow of his former self this season and like Bale he needs to escape Real Madrid if Ronaldo stays there.

I actually felt for Costa. All three strikers, Costa, Aspas and Rodrigo have played in 4-4-2 systems all season with Athletico, Celta and Valencia and then Hierro isolates them with no midfielders even trying to join in.

Don't get me started on Koke! What was he doing on Sunday? Surely he wasn't instructed to play so deep! A double pivot against Russia ffs!

Absolutely bizarre. I hope heads roll as a result of this. Guardiola and Cruyff's school of thought is a wonderful way to play football but it is only effective if you play through the lines. Spain didn't even attempt to do this Sunday and deserved to go out.