+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: WPL in europe

WPL in europe

What has to be done to improve their performances? European football is such a good opportunity to earn good money for them.

Cefn Druids had a very good point away but Bala had a shocking result against the lowest seeded team in the competition, they lost 3-0 in San Marino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqofJwgvkzY

Take a look at these goals, unlucky deflection on the third goal but the first two were among the worst goals I've seen a team given away.

Re: WPL in europe

I'm not sure what can be done. We are a small country and losing 5 clubs out if it makes it so much more weaker.
    The standard is way below conference level and any promising player is going to disapear.

I mean you could make the league regional and hope that would make it stronger but that's nit fair to the current club or fans.
    Even then the benefits are only going to be small .

I don't even think the 5 clubs in the English league could do much by adding clubs in as a reserve league because they are getting better opposition in the reserve leagues.

I think it's just accepting that Cardiff City and Swansea being successful makes the league even more weaker. Unless each club can get a new billionaire invester

Worst thing Merthyr can do is join that tinpot league

Feedback

Having watched the first 2 goals, knowing how to defend would be a good start

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    The standard is way below conference level and any promising player is going to disapear.
    At best WPL is at the same level as Tier 7 in England (Southern Prem / Northern Prem) = Merthyr's level and therefore as you've said, players within an hours drive of the border end up playing in England (for more cash & stronger competition), sad but true.

The only thing that will change the quality is having enormous investment for each club - better facilities, stadium upgrades etc. If every club had say at least a £1m transfer budget each season (higher end League Two budget) you would hope the quality of the league would improve greatly.

Likewise if this was the case, you would think the best coaches graduating through the FAW would then have first pick at jobs in Wales rather than going elsewhere as a first bit of managerial experience. At the moment this isn't the case for the bigger names who are coming down for the courses. Not saying they're better than some lad from Porthmadog but working under a bigger name would be (I should think) more of an incentive for players around conference/league two level.

Now and again you will get a very good player come through but they are always going to be poached, that is just fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    The only thing that will change the quality is having enormous investment for each club - better facilities, stadium upgrades etc. If every club had say at least a £1m transfer budget each season (higher end League Two budget) you would hope the quality of the league would improve greatly.

Likewise if this was the case, you would think the best coaches graduating through the FAW would then have first pick at jobs in Wales rather than going elsewhere as a first bit of managerial experience. At the moment this isn't the case for the bigger names who are coming down for the courses. Not saying they're better than some lad from Porthmadog but working under a bigger name would be (I should think) more of an incentive for players around conference/league two level.

Now and again you will get a very good player come through but they are always going to be poached, that is just fact.
    I think Cardiff, Swansea and Newport should be allowed to use the WPL as a reserve league, in the same way big Spanish teams field second XI in a competitive league.

I understand there may be legalities but I'm sure there could be a workable solution....

Tan acquires Barry Town for £4.30. We send a shed load our youth and dev squad on loan there every season. Allow Barry to use our training, medical and coaching facilities.

Effectively turning Barry into Cardiff Reserves, but giving more meaningful competitive matches to our youth and reserve team and potentially European experience.

Due to Barry being in a different country to Cardiff (sic) I don't think any conflict of ownership laws would be broken.

There's no reason Swansea couldn't do something similar with a team like Carmarthen Town, and Newport with TNS.