+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prince Of Wales Bridge

Prince Of Wales Bridge

The Second Severn Crossing was today officially named the 'Prince Of Wales Bridge' in a ceremony that very few people knew about.

It's almost like they didn't want people to know that it was going ahead.

Wales Online reports

A ceremony was staged on Monday to mark the renaming of the Second Severn Crossing after the Prince of Wales.

Prince Charles attended at the start of his annual week-long visit to Wales and Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns and First Minister Carwyn Jones both said a few words.

But there were very few media representatives in attendance to cover the momentous renaming which is widely disliked by the Welsh public .

Last week, WalesOnline was given an embargoed royal itinerary for Prince Charles' week in Wales and invited to bid for a small number of reporting slots to cover the events over the week.

The itinerary had no mention of a ceremony. It only described "a visit to the toll plaza office at the Second Severn Crossing, which is being renamed The Prince of Wales Bridge to mark His Royal Highness's 70th birthday".

There was no mention of a public ceremony only a visit to an office that is all but inaccessible without permission.

Despite requesting a place on the rota, we were told there was no space.

We even contacted the Wales Office last week and asked for full details of the arrangements, stressing our wish to cover the renaming.

Yet in contrast to how keen the Wales Office usually is to promote events it is holding in Wales, there was no press release or other official communication from the Government about the renaming ceremony.

Instead it was left to the Wales Office and the small number of reporters and a wire photographer allocated rota passes to the "toll plaza office visit" to cover the historic moment.

Re: Prince Of Wales Bridge

Ridiculous businesses. I wish they would hurry up and scrap the unavoidable tolls we have to pay to keep up the maintenance for that freeloader.
    Also.i hope they scrap the bridge charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Ridiculous businesses. I wish they would hurry up and scrap the unavoidable tolls we have to pay to keep up the maintenance for that freeloader.
    Also.i hope they scrap the bridge charges.
    Bet we'd have a new lagoon if we agreed to name it after him mind.

Is Alun "don't rock the boat" Cairns more interested in his position than Wales? Or is it Tories being more interested in England than Wales? Or Westminster simply more interested in Westminster than Wales?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Cairns should be shot for his unbounded arrogance when he referred to the silent majority who supported the new name as opposed to the tens of thousands who loudly signed the petition against it

Carey’s is washed up and should have fkd off years ago

And yet these are the people who are make by decisions that affect the running of the lives of he hardworking citizens

A clear lesson about the kind of democracy that we deserve

The second Severn Crossing will always be the 'new bridge' and the original will always be the 'old bridge'

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

Is Alun "don't rock the boat" Cairns more interested in his position than Wales? Or is it Tories being more interested in England than Wales? Or Westminster simply more interested in Westminster than Wales?
    Yes to all 3. Alun Cairns is a muppet.

Cairns cares more about getting a spot on the New Years Honours list than he does about Wales, hence the bootlicking. He's a c*nt of the highest degree

Who pays for the bridge when it becomes free.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The second Severn Crossing will always be the 'new bridge' and the original will always be the 'old bridge'
    Unfortunately the new Millennials will start using the new name.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    It will be similar to The Mill Stad and Sophia Gardens: young people will call it what they hear/read so if events are advertised under the new name or media push it then it might change. That doesn't mean the internet cannot "re-name" it though by giving it a popular name in the same way Caroline Street is rarely called Caroline Street. Surely the media referring to the POW name controversy only that the POW name is less likely to come off, so by refusing media attention Alun Cairns has got it wrong.

It will be similar to The Mill Stad and Sophia Gardens: young people will call it what they hear/read so if events are advertised under the new name or media push it then it might change. That doesn't mean the internet cannot "re-name" it though by giving it a popular name in the same way Caroline Street is rarely called Caroline Street. Surely the media referring to the POW name controversy only that the POW name is less likely to come off, so by refusing media attention Alun Cairns has got it wrong.
    To me it's the Severn Bridge. And the old one is the Old Severn Bridge.

The Second Severn Crossing was today officially named the 'Prince Of Wales Bridge' in a ceremony that very few people knew about.

It's almost like they didn't want people to know that it was going ahead.

Wales Online reports

A ceremony was staged on Monday to mark the renaming of the Second Severn Crossing after the Prince of Wales.

Prince Charles attended at the start of his annual week-long visit to Wales and Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns and First Minister Carwyn Jones both said a few words.

But there were very few media representatives in attendance to cover the momentous renaming which is widely disliked by the Welsh public .

Last week, WalesOnline was given an embargoed royal itinerary for Prince Charles' week in Wales and invited to bid for a small number of reporting slots to cover the events over the week.

The itinerary had no mention of a ceremony. It only described "a visit to the toll plaza office at the Second Severn Crossing, which is being renamed The Prince of Wales Bridge to mark His Royal Highness's 70th birthday".

There was no mention of a public ceremony only a visit to an office that is all but inaccessible without permission.

Despite requesting a place on the rota, we were told there was no space.

We even contacted the Wales Office last week and asked for full details of the arrangements, stressing our wish to cover the renaming.

Yet in contrast to how keen the Wales Office usually is to promote events it is holding in Wales, there was no press release or other official communication from the Government about the renaming ceremony.

Instead it was left to the Wales Office and the small number of reporters and a wire photographer allocated rota passes to the "toll plaza office visit" to cover the historic moment.

A political post Mr Morris��

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Nope it's Royality , and they are politically neutral .

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Topical I thought.

Millennials are in there 20s and 30s now so I doubt it.

Perhaps we need a politics board

Oh hang on ..........

Is this really politics though? It’s just interesting news isn’t it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    To me it's the Severn Bridge. And the old one is the Old Severn Bridge.
    This

You have my deepest sympathy.

I'm fecking furious. In this year of all years it should have been called the Aneurin Bevan Bridge.
    C unts the lot of them and I include Carwyn.

I havent got a problem with the new name, could have been worse and called the Queen Elizabeth bridge or similar. At least its got Wales in the title 😉. I'll still refer to it as the 2nd or new bridge

I can see a problem where the bridge confusingly gets several names. At least we'll always have one name for Chippy Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    I'm fecking furious. In this year of all years it should have been called the Aneurin Bevan Bridge.
    C unts the lot of them and I include Carwyn.

Perhaps they should have asked the people of Bristol what it should be called. They might have chosen the Colston Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Perhaps they should have asked the people of Bristol what it should be called. They might have chosen the Colston Bridge.
    To be honest I would prefer that to the frigging Prince of Wales Bridge.