+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff short break

Cardiff short break

We came home for a short break last year and stayed at the Premier Inn in Churchill Way, we spent our money on the stay rather than on a upmarket hotel. We travelled down by train.
    We want to come back for three days starting August Bank Holiday Monday (27th) bringing our son and his girlfriend but not by train.
    I know parking for three days will be costly at best, so...
    Anyone have ideas for safe parking near the Premier Inn or perhaps an alternative hotel?
    The revues for the PI in whitchurch seem iffy at best.
    As always, thanks in advance...

Re: Cardiff short break

This is not what you asked but I regularly stay in Cardiff and having tried many of the hotels - basic and upmarket - my favourite, based on location only, is the Travelodge in Cardiff Bay. Free parking and very convenient for buses into town from the Millenium Centre and MountStuart Square. The hotel itself is basic but as I use the place mainly for sleeping realised that staying anywhere more upmarket is a waste of money. If you want to stay centrally then I use the Park Hotel; initially expensive but parking (expensive elsewhere) is free if you can get a place.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    This is not what you asked but I regularly stay in Cardiff and having tried many of the hotels - basic and upmarket - my favourite, based on location only, is the Travelodge in Cardiff Bay. Free parking and very convenient for buses into town from the Millenium Centre and MountStuart Square. The hotel itself is basic but as I use the place mainly for sleeping realised that staying anywhere more upmarket is a waste of money. If you want to stay centrally then I use the Park Hotel; initially expensive but parking (expensive elsewhere) is free if you can get a place.
    Thanks for that, it looks like what we need, not far from the railway station either, useful as we have no idea about the buses these days with my knowledge ranging from trolley buses to those lovely orange buses. Thanks again

You can even get a boat up the river from the Bay to the Castle.

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    Thanks for that, it looks like what we need, not far from the railway station either, useful as we have no idea about the buses these days with my knowledge ranging from trolley buses to those lovely orange buses. Thanks again
    If you have no idea about the buses Cardiff Bus have a very useful ap which I use frequently when in Cardiff. The boat from Sophia Gardens to Cardiff Bay as previously mentioned - a short walk from the Travelodge - is also very useful and pleasant on a nice day.

Try this new hotel, central (no taxi's, buses, or boats), on site parking and 5 minutes from town (walking)

http://www.pontcannainn.com/rooms/

We came home for a short break last year and stayed at the Premier Inn in Churchill Way, we spent our money on the stay rather than on a upmarket hotel. We travelled down by train.
    We want to come back for three days starting August Bank Holiday Monday (27th) bringing our son and his girlfriend but not by train.
    I know parking for three days will be costly at best, so...
    Anyone have ideas for safe parking near the Premier Inn or perhaps an alternative hotel?
    The revues for the PI in whitchurch seem iffy at best.
    As always, thanks in advance...
    You've timed that well arriving on Churchill Way the Monday so you should just about miss the closure of certain sections of Churchill Way and the noise that hits the hotel from the Pulse Street Party that takes place every August Bank Holiday weekend (Pride related).

Personally I'd avoid the increased footfall, noise etc. and get somewhere on Cathedral Road - if you can.

Village hotel is reasonable in Whitchurch. Free parking, regular bus and train service to city centre

Cathedral rd is close to town, you can park, just about

(Belated) thanks for the replies, due to son forgetting daughters' hospital appointment, we are awaiting him getting a different few days off work.
    Just near where the water taxi stops in Bute park is I believe a tea shop just behind the entrance gates to the park. My mother lived in there for many years and even got an article in the South Wales Echo. I will visit that for sure for the first time in over forty years.
    Thanks again...

(Belated) thanks for the replies, due to son forgetting daughters' hospital appointment, we are awaiting him getting a different few days off work.
    Just near where the water taxi stops in Bute park is I believe a tea shop just behind the entrance gates to the park. My mother lived in there for many years and even got an article in the South Wales Echo. I will visit that for sure for the first time in over forty years.
    Thanks again...
    Pettigrew Tea Rooms.

https://gourmetgorro.blogspot.com/search?q=pettigrew

Thanks for that

While the Prem Inn could never be classed as a high end hotel, any Travelodge makes the Prem inn look 5 star, the budget hotel market really changed when the Prem Inn came around, it raised the bar considerably

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    While the Prem Inn could never be classed as a high end hotel, any Travelodge makes the Prem inn look 5 star, the budget hotel market really changed when the Prem Inn came around, it raised the bar considerably
    While I agree with that in terms of quality, for me it's more about location and car parking than the hotel. If you want to spend a lot of time in the hotel then it has to be the Premier Inn but otherwise location location location is the name of the game for me. After all is taken into account the Premier Inn in Churchill Way is fine but parking can be difficult, inconvenient and expensive. The alternative for me is the Travelodge in Cardiff Bay, even at around £100 a night, is fantastically located for public transport, the amenities of the Bay and free car parking. That place in Cathedral Road looks good. Perhaps I will give it a try.