+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craig Bryson signing

Re: Craig Bryson signing

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Not sure why I included your post sorry.

I was alluding to the fact that we would need to get someone in with a Gunnarsson type long throw as it seems to be one of our most popular ways of getting the ball in the box.

Of course Morrisson was very effective deputising but I'd rather see him on the end of them.
    How many goals have we scored from Gunnarsson's long throws in the last few seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    How many goals have we scored from Gunnarsson's long throws in the last few seasons?
    Dunno

It is a question I have heard on quite a few occasions and TBH I have found it frustrating to watch along with many others, particularly those who do not like the "Warnock style" of play.

I suspect though that we have benefitted greatly by getting the ball in the penalty box as many times as we have since Warnock took over.

After all, we are on the attack and the oppostion are defending deep.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Dunno

It is a question I have heard on quite a few occasions and TBH I have found it frustrating to watch along with many others, particularly those who do not like the "Warnock style" of play.

I suspect though that we have benefitted greatly by getting the ball in the penalty box as many times as we have since Warnock took over.

After all, we are on the attack and the oppostion are defending deep.
    I don't recall us scoring from a long throw in last season, though I am probably wrong. I don't particularly rate Gunnarsson's long throw-ins since he resumed them. Andy Legg and Tony Capaldi were far better.

Quote Originally Posted by I'll give you the Malky!! View Post
    29 inc Bryson at the mo

Definite leavers Camp, Gunnar, O'keefe, Healy, Bogle
    Possible leavers Connelly, Madine, Tomlin, Pilkington

Gunnar has already gone. He may come back, but he is now out of contract.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Gunnar has already gone. He may come back, but he is now out of contract.
    Thank you Mr Pedantic

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Is this official ? Can’t see it anywhere.
    He hasn't signed yet - if you believe the press reports. They all say a fee has been agreed between the clubs (£1.75m is the favourite number) and that Bryson has been away with Derby on their pre-season camp. Some also say that no permission yet for Cardiff to discuss personal terms but both clubs expect the deal to go through.

the72.co.uk/107864/derby-midfielder-set-premier-league-move/

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...derby-14867615

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/spo...-agree-1749762

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/footbal...on_329852.html

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Thank you Mr Pedantic
    My pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by I'll give you the Malky!! View Post
    29 inc Bryson at the mo

Definite leavers Camp, Gunnar, O'keefe, Healy, Bogle
    Possible leavers Connelly, Madine, Tomlin, Pilkington
    Interesting that the club website also has 29 first team players listed - although they still include Gunnar (but not Bryson).

All the loanees and out of contract players (except Gunnar) have been removed. The implication is that Gunnar will re-sign.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Interesting that the club website also has 29 first team players listed - although they still include Gunnar (but not Bryson).

All the loanees and out of contract players (except Gunnar) have been removed. The implication is that Gunnar will re-sign.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/teams/first-team/
    Could just be an oversight?
    I expect Gunnar to re-sign. I think we will know next few days.

Maybe, but all the other out of contract players (Halford, Kennedy, Guonongbe, Meite) have been deleted from the squad page.

Just noticed that Brian Murphy is also still there. I also expect him to re-sign, but as of 1 July he too is out of contract.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    We need 25 players how many have we got so far ?
    Based on that article a few days back where we had a a severe lack of players compared to other premier league teams, is 1.5m for Bryson that big a gamble?

I'm disappointed by the resigning of Bryson. As you say, he arrives seconds too late, the opposition just pass it easily around him, he doesn't even have a sense as to where the ball might be played next, so as to try to cut off that option.
    His passing and ball retention not great either - actually, it's a bit unfair to criticise his ball retention as he seldom gets hold of the ball in the first place!
    I can only hope he comes on in the last 10 minutes of games to hussle the opposition, that's all he's good for.

Underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I'm disappointed by the resigning of Bryson. As you say, he arrives seconds too late, the opposition just pass it easily around him, he doesn't even have a sense as to where the ball might be played next, so as to try to cut off that option.
    His passing and ball retention not great either - actually, it's a bit unfair to criticise his ball retention as he seldom gets hold of the ball in the first place!
    I can only hope he comes on in the last 10 minutes of games to hussle the opposition, that's all he's good for.

Underwhelming.
    I agree with virtually every word of that. I would say that Bryson did improve a bit towards the end of the season, but I don't get why we should be interested in a box to box midfielder who will be 32 during the coming season and has never played in the Premier League in his life. However, although I'm sure our manager will not lose one second's sleep about this if he finds out, it's just more proof that Neil Warnock's idea of what makes a good central midfield player would appear to be vary an awful lot from mine!
    I thought central midfield was the weakest part of the team last season, but by, apparently, putting this offer in for Bryson, having talks with Liverpool about Grujic coming here for a second loan spell and offering Gunnar what we are told is a very good deal, our manager has to be saying that he was satisfied with how things went in that part of the team doesn't he?
    All things considered, I'm pretty satisfied with our signings up to now and, having expressed my bafflement at some of his selections before the start of matches we ended up winning last season, I accept that he may just know more about the game than me, but I fear that good work in other positions could be undermined if we go into the Premier League season with a central midfield that, too often. struggled to impose itself in the Championship.

Personally I feel we need to improve our central midfield options not go back to what we had. I realise Ryan Woods is most probably too small for Warnock but I was impressed whenever I saw him play last season and wondered whether we would look at 1or2 players from Brentford like Canos?

I'd be shocked if Warnock has finished his business In midfield, he's no fool ,Bryson is a filler if he actual does come ??? perhaps this story is an agent generated story to push Derby, as the contract chatter at Derby has stalled ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Back filling for year after next perhaps, solid performer ,not premiership quality ,but will be able to come off the bench with energy and commitement to close out a games , and cover for potential departure of Gunnerson , at that price he's cheap buy.
    Even if he's only on £20k/wk for, shall we say, a 2 yr contract that's £2m wages plus the £1.75m fee plus agents' fees. That's £4m spent on the transfer. That's hardly cheap for someone who was peripheral in the Championship.

StT.
    <><

Could the club have leaked this story to force Gunners hand in contract neogiations?

We don’t need gunners, he’s not good enough

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    There's unreliable newspapers and then there's the Express.

I wouldn't be shocked if we went in for him, but can't see it being before we have some definitive movement with Grujic/Gunnarsson etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfcwelshlad View Post
    There's unreliable newspapers and then there's the Express.

I wouldn't be shocked if we went in for him, but can't see it being before we have some definitive movement with Grujic/Gunnarsson etc.
    I am expecting definite news on those two next few days.

It's all posturing and probably some truth in the views put forward regarding forcing ones hand.
    Bryson never really impressed me either but my guess is that NW is struggling to get the man he wants for whatever reason and perhaps he has gone for the devil (dog) he knows.
    Yes, Bryson may be an underwhelming signing, but Warnock has a finite amount of £s available for transfers/wages.

Others will be jostling for position regarding their targets for the season so hopefully when they get who they want, that will free up someone who could do a job for us.
    IMO, we could do a lot worse than Gruyic who has more to come.

Generally I'm pleased with who we've brought in and it will be interesting to see whether Warnock significantly changes his approach if he does get who he wants. That will more than likely depend on who he does get in, especially in M/F, but I hope he doesn't tinker too much.

Whoever we get, it's gonna be a challenge!

Chris Wathan has tweeted in the last hour that he is "Led to believe a return for Craig Bryson not on the agenda".

If he's not signing (and hopefully he isn't) even if Gunnar signs I still think we need 2 good midfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    The fee is peanuts for someone who knows us, won't have a problem integrating and can do a decent job. He's a better passer of the ball than Gunnarsson and works his ass off. I'll be happy if he does join.
    That's the point some people are missing. He knows how to survive and fight back, not give up. He proved that. So welcome.