+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If England win this world cup...

If England win this world cup...

\should we have a sweep to predict how many knighthoods, MBEs and OBEs are given to Southgate and his merry men?
    The team winning SPOTY is nailed on.

Re: If England win this world cup...

I wonder if Piss Morgan will wade in if they have an open bus thing after going out in the semi's or final ??

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I wonder if Piss Morgan will wade in if they have an open bus thing after going out in the semi's or final ??
    Was thinking about this myself, he'll be saying how well England did to get this far (assuming they don't go any further)

Arise Sir Gareth. A few more honours will be dished out but the knighthoods for others will have to wait for a few more years.

I've got to say, Southgate has done an incredible job mind.
    I'm sure he was watching us 2 years ago thinking "If we can cultivate the team spirit they have we'll have half a chance" and he probably also thought "If Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Italy and Holland are all shite we'll have even more of a chance!"

England will not win this World Cup......at least, I hope not !

Would like to see Belgium win it.

We will never hear the end of it, especially next season as all those who never went to one game sing about it......

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    We will never hear the end of it, especially next season as all those who never went to one game sing about it......
    The funny thing is that we probably have more English players in our first team than every other side in the league.

I must say, although it pains me to admit it, Gareth Southgate does seem like a genuinely decent bloke. Makes it harder to hate the England team.

Here's a question - at the start of last season, if someone guaranteed you Cardiff would be promoted BUT it meant England would win the World Cup, would you let our neighbours have their five minutes of fun in the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by celticknight View Post
    I must say, although it pains me to admit it, Gareth Southgate does seem like a genuinely decent bloke. Makes it harder to hate the England team.

Here's a question - at the start of last season, if someone guaranteed you Cardiff would be promoted BUT it meant England would win the World Cup, would you let our neighbours have their five minutes of fun in the sun?
    Yeah I'd say so.

Definitely. Spare a thought for Welsh patriotic Swansea fans, how must they be feeling!

Cardiff up, Swansea down, England potential world cup winners!!!!

They've been going on about the last one for 5 decades. What makes you think this one would be any different.

I reckon Southgate's already got an OBE in the bag for reaching the semis

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I've got to say, Southgate has done an incredible job mind.
    I'm sure he was watching us 2 years ago thinking "If we can cultivate the team spirit they have we'll have half a chance" and he probably also thought "If Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Italy and Holland are all shite we'll have even more of a chance!"
    Yup, timing is everything, and so far, it couldn't have worked out better. I think that this world cup has been pretty low on quality, there was nothing from Africa, usually Ivory Coast, Ghana and Cameroon produce some great players, then there's the cage rattlers like the USA or an underated Central American country. I can't believe how shit most teams have been, England shouldn't be anywhere near a semi final with this team and the way they play. Seems like International football is on the decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Yup, timing is everything, and so far, it couldn't have worked out better. I think that this world cup has been pretty low on quality, there was nothing from Africa, usually Ivory Coast, Ghana and Cameroon produce some great players, then there's the cage rattlers like the USA or an underated Central American country. I can't believe how shit most teams have been, England shouldn't be anywhere near a semi final with this team and the way they play. Seems like International football is on the decline.
    Other than Saudi Arabia's first game and Panama against England, is there such a thing as an easy international game anymore?
    Tactics are more prevalent now than they've ever been, look at Russia Vs Spain for example.

But it would not just be 5mins,they are still bragging about 1966!

Totally agree

Southgate is nice decent well mannered person, working In an arena full of egos, arrogrance and bullies ,good luck to him ,deserves every accolade he gets,

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Southgate is nice decent well mannered person, working In an arena full of egos, arrogrance and bullies ,good luck to him ,deserves every accolade he gets,
    He also wears a waist-coat. Hee Hee Hee. The waist-coat, the waist-coat. BBC. Waist-coat.

No, city promotion is not worth having another England world cup shoved down my throat for the rest of my life.

Like asking would you take a tenner on the scratch cards for having your nob cut in half.

Given this is a young side and that they are the World Champions at Under 17 and Under 20 levels (they've also won the last two Toulon tournaments), the chances are that England will be winning the World Cup again fairly soon, even if they don't so it this time.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Given this is a young side and that they are the World Champions at Under 17 and Under 20 levels (they've also won the last two Toulon tournaments), the chances are that England will be winning the World Cup again fairly soon, even if they don't so it this time.
    Given the huge investment in the St George's Park project and a far more scientific approach to youth development English football has now matched the work that the European powerhouses had been doing for decades.
    The results over the last few years , at age levels, have been truly outstanding by anyone's measure.
    The trick though will to see if the youngsters winning the youth titles can progress into the adult game and establish themselves.
    On this I am not so sure. The Premiership could not give a hoot about the national team and the pressure on managers will be to buy established names, as it is now, rather than invest in time for the kids to kick on. Yes, some will break through like the lad at Man City ( but he is truly outstanding and is likely to be a world class player) but most will get limited game time and not reach their potential.
    Whilst, to the dismay of many on here, the outlook for English players is hugely improved I think that the club game will continue to suffocate the international one .
    On the plus side ,for the majority of posters ,a lot of Welsh youngsters may well benefit from being involved in the youth set up across the border and therefore bolster the national side.

For Honors the rugby world cup has kind of set a precedent and with football being a far bigger sport I would expect the same.

On another note I do expect England to get to the final and they have deservedly won all their knockout games. However I was looking back at world cups from last 40 years in 90 minutes they have only won 3 games in knockout games Paraguay Ecuador and Denmark. I think their other 2 wins came in ET over Cameroon and Belgium. Have England ever won a game they haven't been favourites for?

Southgate seems a nice guy but it seems funny that they all want this fluid playing football but are now happy with only scoring from set plays. They are a bit like a city Wales hybrid the way they play. Sean morrison would probably be on for golden boot if he was in the team

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He will probably get the Nobel Prize, an Oscar, a full set of Panini stickers, a Blue Peter badge and a place in the next season of Love Island. There will be a new national holiday (The Gareth Southgate Day) on the Monday closest to the World Cup Final day. He will play himself in the Sky Atlantic dramatisation of England's race to the title. It will be amazing...... !

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    He’s going to become a Baron.