+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: FT: SWEDEN 0 - 2 ENGLAND. Match thread

Re: FT: SWEDEN 0 - 2 ENGLAND. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    It felt like you were claiming it meant something more.....the fact that they were group leaders I mean. As if the fact they were leaders of the group, as opposed to runners-up, meant it was some kind of achievement.

It just feels a bit redundant if all you were doing was relaying fact. Surely you had some point ?
    During the last twelve months, Colombia, who finished top of their group, have drawn with Brazil and beaten a strong French side containing the likes of Mbappe, Griezmann and Giroud. Meanwhile, Sweden, who also finished top of their group, have beaten France, Italy and Mexico in competitive matches.

Doesn't matter, though. Apparently, they're both rubbish teams and England haven't played anyone with any pedigree yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    During the last twelve months, Colombia, who finished top of their group, have drawn with Brazil and beaten a strong French side containing the likes of Mbappe, Griezmann and Giroud. Meanwhile, Sweden, who also finished top of their group, have beaten France, Italy and Mexico in competitive matches.

Doesn't matter, though. Apparently, they're both rubbish teams and England haven't played anyone with any pedigree yet.
    Colombia are much better side with Rodriguez playing. That was a hammer blow for them. Had he played I think it would have been a very different outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Colombia are much better side with Rodriguez playing. That was a hammer blow for them. Had he played I think it would have been a very different outcome.
    We may never care.

Fair play TLG has this annoying knack to piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Fair play TLG has this annoying knack to piss you off
    It’s just that most of his posts feel confrontational (not that that’s important by the way).

In this thread I completely agree with his perspective on how England have done - confrontational or not

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Oh ok. So it wasn’t JUST stating a fact.

Here are some more “facts”....

Sweden put in one of the worst performances seen at this world cup.

England didn’t beat Colombia in a football match, they beat them on penalties.

Oh ok. So it wasn’t JUST stating a fact.

Here are some more “facts”....

Sweden put in one of the worst performances seen at this world cup.

England didn’t beat Colombia in a football match, they beat them on penalties.
    You’re looking foolish now. Your anti-England sentiment is getting in your way.

England outclassed Sweden, completely negated their style and picked them off. They could have easily won by 4 and Sweden didn’t know how to deal with them. It was a very comfortable win against a side who are resolute and tough to beat - their record backs that up - check it out over the last 2 years

Columbia were a horrible team who grabbed a 93rd minute equalizer that they didn’t deserve. Fortunately the better side won on penalties

It’s ok to be objective.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    You’re looking foolish now. Your anti-England sentiment is getting in your way.

England outclassed Sweden, completely negated their style and picked them off. They could have easily won by 4 and Sweden didn’t know how to deal with them. It was a very comfortable win against a side who are resolute and tough to beat - their record backs that up - check it out over the last 2 years

Columbia were a horrible team who grabbed a 93rd minute equalizer that they didn’t deserve. Fortunately the better side won on penalties

It’s ok to be objective.
    ...when it suits you.

You’re right. I do ****in hate england.

Listen to the “totally football podcast”. They are the only people who I’ve heard talk about the world cup in an objective way.

If you can’t admit that they have played poor opposition, had a lucky draw and haven’t played brilliantly, then I’d suggest you are also blinded by your fondness of them.

...when it suits you.

Listen to the “totally football podcast”. They are the only people who I’ve heard talk about the world cup in an objective way.

If you can’t admit that they have played poor opposition, had a lucky draw and haven’t played brilliantly, then I’d suggest you are also blinded by your fondness of them.
    Oh dear!

So now we’ve established your hatred, what sets Croatia apart from England? They haven’t won a game since winning a very poor group. Do you share a similar perspective on the merits of their achievements?

I think they have been fortunate and probably unlikely they would’ve got this far if they was in the other group but hey ho they’ve done what they needed to do now come on you Croats

...when it suits you.

If I were you i'd find a dark room Wednesday and just chill. You're going to make yourself ill at this rate.

Oh dear!

So now we’ve established your hatred, what sets Croatia apart from England? They haven’t won a game since winning a very poor group. Do you share a similar perspective on the merits of their achievements?
    Yes.

They’ve been average since beating Argentina.

I still think Russia was a tougher tie than Sweden.

Whilst it might be a bit much to declare “hate” for england, it’s a bit suspect to take pride in their achievements from our point of view , isn’t it? Do you have english family by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    If I were you i'd find a dark room Wednesday and just chill. You're going to make yourself ill at this rate.
    It has crossed my mind. Probably best to go on holidays till after the weekend.

Yes.

They’ve been average since beating Argentina.

I still think Russia was a tougher tie than Sweden.

Whilst it might be a bit much to declare “hate” for england, it’s a bit suspect to take pride in their achievements from our point of view , isn’t it? Do you have english family by any chance?
    6th generation 100% Welsh. Not sure why that should make me want England to lose at this World Cup though?

6th generation 100% Welsh. Not sure why that should make me want England to lose at this World Cup though?
    Because a lot of things that surround english sporting success are irritating, I suppose. You'll have to put up with them milking it for the next decade.

I'm being a bit obtuse. I hope they lose, as I do the Jacks. Nothing more.

That said, if you think they haven't had the easiest run to the semi's , you are being one-eyed. Wishing them best is one thing but ignoring the obvious because they are "a decent bunch of lads" is silly.

It's quite interesting why Welsh people are urging England to win. There's an article on the BBC website about national pride being regained; are the Welsh looking for a toot of that? We can feel better about ourselves through vicarious means? Maybe it's a case of any opportunity to feel good about ourselves and if we have to wear the British hat to do then so be it.

We seem to want to be a nation or a region of Britain when it suits us and come across like the Richard Hammond of the UK, hobbling to keep up with the bigger lads. Would those supporting England be okay with us merging with them internationally?

Because a lot of things that surround english sporting success are irritating, I suppose. You'll have to put up with them milking it for the next decade.

I'm being a bit obtuse. I hope they lose, as I do the Jacks. Nothing more.

That said, if you think they haven't had the easiest run to the semi's , you are being one-eyed. Wishing them best is one thing but ignoring the obvious because they are "a decent bunch of lads" is silly.
    I didn’t say they have had n easy run. On paper their half of the draw was the easier - anyone could see that, but that doesn’t take way from the fact that they’ve played quite well in my opinion. Good enough to beat 2 very competent teams

I was at the Euros and we only really played well in 2 games (Russia and Belgium) and we did have the easier side of the draw as well if you remember. If Joe Ralls was playing in centre midfield and Morrison at centre half would you want them to lose? I’m guessing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    It's quite interesting why Welsh people are urging England to win. There's an article on the BBC website about national pride being regained; are the Welsh looking for a toot of that? We can feel better about ourselves through vicarious means? Maybe it's a case of any opportunity to feel good about ourselves and if we have to wear the British hat to do then so be it.

We seem to want to be a nation or a region of Britain when it suits us and come across like the Richard Hammond of the UK, hobbling to keep up with the bigger lads. Would those supporting England be okay with us merging with them internationally?
    100% not, but if it had always been a GB team and I’d known no different I don’t think I’d be screaming for separation because I’d be a GB fan (as I am in the Olympics - although I do cheer more when there’s Welsh representation)

I didn’t say they have had n easy run. On paper their half of the draw was the easier - anyone could see that, but that doesn’t take way from the fact that they’ve played quite well in my opinion. Good enough to beat 2 very competent teams

I was at the Euros and we only really played well in 2 games (Russia and Belgium) and we did have the easier side of the draw as well if you remember. If Joe Ralls was playing in centre midfield and Morrison at centre half would you want them to lose? I’m guessing so.
    They are a country of 50 million people, where football is the main sport. I could go on but I think the relevance of comparisons can end there.

Technically, they didn’t beat Colombia. Did you honestly think Sweden looked competent?

Have you ever wanted the Jacks to lose in a game that didn’t involve Cardiff City?

They are a country of 50 million people, where football is the main sport. I could go on but I think the relevance of comparisons can end there.

Technically, they didn’t beat Colombia. Did you honestly think Sweden looked competent?

Have you ever wanted the Jacks to lose in a game that didn’t involve Cardiff City?
    Every game

I like how we technically didn't beat Colombia

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Every game
    I suppose it's pretty normal to feel that way on occaision about your rival. I think that's what having a rival is kind of about.

But hey, go tell that to our resident second coming of Jesus Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    I like how we technically didn't beat Colombia
    I liked it too.

Heisenberg

If they were chosen for England in a World Cup game, I'd want Ralls to get sent off and Morrison to score 8 own goals.