+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: SWEDEN 0 - 2 ENGLAND. Match thread

Re: SWEDEN v ENGLAND. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Shut up ! You pair of f***** tits ! This pair of idiots are really getting on my nerves!! “ I have to keep checking the scoreboard” , “dare to dream ,, England in the semis” yes I get it !! Well done England but I would expect them to win these games I know you can only play the teams you are drawn against but let’s be fair England”s route isn’t the hardest
    'Only one team has tried to play football today'

Can't just win without being arrogant ***** about it for some reason.

Re: FT: SWEDEN 0 - 2 ENGLAND. Match thread

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Hopefully modric and Rakatic should dominate against england
    Agreed. Just need to steer clear of injury.

They completely dominated that game. Really started to turn it on when they went 2 up. They won at a canter

Good team spirit - unfortunately they’re going to come up against France if they do get to the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    How the feck have Sweden got this far in the tournament, ****ing crap!
    They beat South Korea, Mexico and Switzerland. They only got beaten by Germany thanks to a 95th minute goal.

Today they appeared to run out of steam, as happened to Wales at Euro 2016. This game was one too many for them. England were easily the better team.

I have this recurring thought of Henderson kissing a World Cup Winners medal.
    It"s making me feel quite nauseous.

Could have been a different game if that dodgy first half 'offside' had been correctly allowed to run...1-0 Sweden (He was in his own half. ffs!)

It's hard to see them not getting to the final. Then anything can happen. Gulp.

Come on Football gods. You know you hate England. Make it happen. Make it extra heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Croatia have been the team I've supported all tournament. Tonight will be like supporting Cardiff or Wales.
    Problem is that should Russia "fluke" it, which is not beyond the realms of possibility, England will not have played anyone with any pedigree, apart from the Belgian second team when it mattered not one iota. Credit them for that though and they all owe Martinez a sizeable pay-off!

That is what bugs me about those who say, and I've heard it many times, things like "well you will have to play "insert Top team of choice" at some point to get to the final.
    England are proving that this is bollocks!

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Problem is that should Russia "fluke" it, which is not beyond the realms of possibility, England will not have played anyone with any pedigree, apart from the Belgian second team when it mattered not one iota. Credit them for that though and they all owe Martinez a sizeable pay-off!

That is what bugs me about those who say, and I've heard it many times, things like "well you will have to play "insert Top team of choice" at some point to get to the final.
    England are proving that this is bollocks!
    Don't say that just yet. Croatia are a wonderful footballing side on their day and can beat anyone. They will beat Russia tonight and will give England one hell of a shock to the system.

Modric, Rakitic and Brozovic in midfield are a wonderful combo. Mandzukic will bully the **** out of Maguire and Stones. Perisic and Rebic will be the first players they come up against with some actual pace. They have a solid backline and a great goalkeeper. They will beat that Russian side tonight, and hopefully beat England on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Problem is that should Russia "fluke" it, which is not beyond the realms of possibility, England will not have played anyone with any pedigree.....
    England have beaten two of the group winners in their last two games.

Germany, Spain and Argentina have World Cup pedigree, but they simply weren't anywhere near good enough to win this tournament. Pedigree counts for little when your players aren't up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Could have been a different game if that dodgy first half 'offside' had been correctly allowed to run...1-0 Sweden (He was in his own half. ffs!)
    How the fcuk was that given

England could and should have won by more.

Sterling due to score a hat trick at some stage 😂

Good for them 👍

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    England have beaten two of the group winners in their last two games.

Germany, Spain and Argentina have World Cup pedigree, but they simply weren't anywhere near good enough to win this tournament. Pedigree counts for little when your players aren't up to it.
    Did Sweden look like group winners to you ? Did Colombia ?

They also lost to group leaders, who went on to beat the group leaders of group whatever-it-was, Brazil. Now that deserves plaudits. England have got lucky.

You are right though in saying that Germany, Argentina and Spain were , for whatever reason, totally underwhelming. I still think any on of those sides could and probably would beat england in a quarter or semi.

So, ye. They can be "world-cup finalists" england or even "2018 world cup winners" england, it still won't make them the best team in the world. Far from it.

England will win the World Cup in my lifetime and this is a likeable team. But....

It's not our success. I absolutely hate the presumption/demand that Welsh people should support England and how BBC Wales and other institutions that our meant to represent our country are doing more to shine a light on England's success this summer than they often do to shine a light on Wales. I am baffled why so many Welsh people have bought into it: we have pubs here that would ban Welsh football fans from wearing football shirts and seem now happy to engage with football and it's not right. We can be quietly pleased that our English friend's are happy but that's about it.

Saw a tweet earlier looking at Scotland that suggested it all comes down to how you see the union. If you see it as a union between four nations then England's success is simply not ours (quietly pleased etc. as far as you can go) but if you see it as four regions and the UK as your country then it makes sense to support England as the only representative here. Of course the way the English and Welsh cricket team is represented as England shows that many in England confuse (deliberately or not) the UK as England and there are numerous examples where this remains true politically/culturally and on a sporting basis.

At this time it's so much more important to support Wales than it is to be happy for/overstepping the mark and being spiteful towards England. Our country has taken several knock backs already this year but there is also so much to be excited by with the Women's football team potential success too - have you got your ticket yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Did Sweden look like group winners to you ? Did Colombia ?

They also lost to group leaders, who went on to beat the group leaders of group whatever-it-was, Brazil. Now that deserves plaudits. England have got lucky.

You are right though in saying that Germany, Argentina and Spain were , for whatever reason, totally underwhelming. I still think any on of those sides could and probably would beat england in a quarter or semi.

So, ye. They can be "world-cup finalists" england or even "2018 world cup winners" england, it still won't make them the best team in the world. Far from it.
    You do realise the World Cup is a knockout competition, right?

We weren’t one of the 4 best teams at the Euro’s but we got as far as England have now

I don't think for one minute that Southgate or the English squad could have hoped for or even dreamed of the teams they have played so far. No matter who wins tonight between Russia and Croatia, i think England will finally have a match on their hands at long last.

Alright, lads?

Well done England not many have beaten Sweden over the last few years, not a classy side, but have done well.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    You do realise the World Cup is a knockout competition, right?

We weren’t one of the 4 best teams at the Euro’s but we got as far as England (the home of football) have now
    Ye, I was responding to TLG's claim that england (the home of football) have beaten two group leaders as if it actually means anything.

In fact, they only beat one come to think of it. The other team was ****ing atrocious.

They've been jammy. And even if they win it, they won't be world No.1. Sorry Lads.

Ye, I was responding to TLG's claim that england (the home of football) have beaten two group leaders as if it actually means anything.

In fact, they only beat one come to think of it. The other team was ****ing atrocious.

They've been jammy. And even if they win it, they won't be world No.1. Sorry Lads.
    But the winners of the World Cup are World Champions. Ask any player in any sport if they want to win a title or be classed as world number 1 and I’m pretty sure it’s a rhetorical question.

After Wales, it’s them for me. Imagine how we’d have felt if this were ROI’s useless bunch doing this in Russia

Sweden are the sort of side that never get you purring about the quality of their football, but they have a habit of getting the job done. It's all very well saying England won because Sweden are crap, but that's the first time I've seen them as comprehensively outplayed as that in a long time - England should be credited for beating a side that is so hard to play against as comfortably as they did.
    I still think that if England go out to take on any of the three remaining teams in a proper game of football they will lose and I won't be surprised to see Henderson given more help in the middle of the field at the expense of one of the more attacking players, but they are very dangerous from set pieces and will have had a relatively easy time of it physically in the quarter final compared to Croatia who now have been taken to penalties in their past two matches - i wouldn't rule out an England win on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    But the winners of the World Cup are World Champions. Ask any player in any sport if they want to win a title or be classed as world number 1 and I’m pretty sure it’s a rhetorical question.

After Wales, it’s them for me. Imagine how we’d have felt if this were ROI’s useless bunch doing this in Russia
    Hey, if you get pleasure from winning something having done half the work and having half the talent of those around you, then who am I to argue. Make the most of it. I'm sure the english will if they manage it.

I'd be infinitely happier to see Ireland in the semi's than I would england....obviously. But I guess we are coming at it from different places.

It wasn't a claim. It was a fact. Colombia finished top of Group H. Sweden finished top of Group F.

It means England are in the World Cup semi-finals as opposed to Colombia or Sweden.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It wasn't a claim. It was a fact. Colombia finished top of Group H. Sweden finished top of Group F.

It means England are in the World Cup semi-finals as opposed to Colombia or Sweden.

It felt like you were claiming it meant something more.....the fact that they were group leaders I mean. As if the fact they were leaders of the group, as opposed to runners-up, meant it was some kind of achievement.

It just feels a bit redundant if all you were doing was relaying fact. Surely you had some point ?