+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nathan Blake 3-5-2

Nathan Blake 3-5-2

Listend to Nathan Blakes podcast and he has suggested the way to go is a 3-5-2 formation next year, with Bennet and Paterson the wingbacks. This makes no sense to me whatsoever when we have wingers like Hoilet, Mendez-Laing, Murphy, Reid ? etc.

Warnock has stated his love for wingers in the past and I just can't see him ditching them in the premier league.

I think we could play a 3-4-3 at times, which would become a 5-4-1 when defending. I watched Swansea play Southampton last year and Southampton looked decent, had plenty of options and space using that formation.

Re: Nathan Blake 3-5-2

I stopped listening to that podcast when he started talking about our tactics next season. Clueless. Why would we employ multiple wingers if we're not going to use them? We will play pretty much the same system as we did last year I reckon, with some tweaks here and there.

I thought the same when I listened to it. It’s all dependent on where NW intends to play Reid, Paterson, Murphy, Tomlin. This morning he referred to Murphy and Reid as strikers but they could all play on the wing or no 10. Will we play the same as we did early last season? Given the players we’ve bought so far I suspect we will. But those same players offer us the opportunity to play different formations dependent on opposition and how well the systems work for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    I stopped listening to that podcast when he started talking about our tactics next season. Clueless. Why would we employ multiple wingers if we're not going to use them? We will play pretty much the same system as we did last year I reckon, with some tweaks here and there.
    yeah thats my take on it. Think I will ditch it too. It just winds me up at how he is a supposed expert.

5-3-2 only works for me when you defend high enough and have enough possession to bring the wingbacks into attack.
    We defend deep and are happy to concede possession and use fast transitions to be dangerous on a turnover.
    I'm not aware of anyone playing like that making a 5-3-2 formation work - although I'm quite prepared to stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    5-3-2 only works for me when you defend high enough and have enough possession to bring the wingbacks into attack.
    We defend deep and are happy to concede possession and use fast transitions to be dangerous on a turnover.
    I'm not aware of anyone playing like that making a 5-3-2 formation work - although I'm quite prepared to stand corrected.
    Aren’t England playing 5-3-2 at the World Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Aren’t England playing 5-3-2 at the World Cup?
    Yes and England are playing a very high line, and in most cases have the lion's share of possession.

Thinking about it, the 5-3-2 that Wales used to play was quite deep defensively and got it forward quickly, so theres an example.

If I had to make a list of least likely managers to try a 3-5-2, Warnock would be one of the first names on it.

If we're being honest with ourselves we all know what the tactics will be next year - the same as last season. 4-5-1 without the ball (Which will be the majority of the game) and hope to hit teams on the counter and set pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    I thought the same when I listened to it. It’s all dependent on where NW intends to play Reid, Paterson, Murphy, Tomlin. This morning he referred to Murphy and Reid as strikers but they could all play on the wing or no 10. Will we play the same as we did early last season? Given the players we’ve bought so far I suspect we will. But those same players offer us the opportunity to play different formations dependent on opposition and how well the systems work for us.

I think the best advise too offer on this one is to listen and trust our own proven manager .

Recently I've read on CCMB derogatory remarks towards pundits , who don't seem to grasp the game, never mind actually having managed in it , so let's place young Blake in that same zone,as his comments don't fit the tactics of last year and reference to our recent signings .