+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gunnar signs new deal

Re: Gunnar signs new deal

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The club would keep someone with a year on their deal so they can play in matches for that year.

Why would the player care what fee the club gets? Other than the "loyalty bonus" cut they get off it, and why should they care?

Why is running down a contract seen as a bad thing? The club and player have agreed to that length of contract, surely there is nothing "disloyal" about honouring that contract.
    Do you not see anything wrong then if Bobby Reid had stayed another year at Bristol then ****ed off next summer on a free?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think most people are of the opinion that a 12 month deal is the best outcome for both parties - it's not about loyalty. Tying him down for longer than a year may not be ideal (given his recent injuries and his relative age) but should we wish to, we will always have the option to offer him a new contract down the line - should we deem him worth it.

Plus, should he feel like he's had enough of the UK after another bash at the PL and wants to ply his trade abroad after 12 months - he won't have to worry about transfer fees etc playing a part - possibly giving him greater options.

I think a 1 year deal is sensible.
    Yeah, that's fair enough. It was the quotes and club promoting the loyalty in him signing that made me laugh a bit. I'm not sure he'll get in the team week in week out next season anyway so maybe you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Do you not see anything wrong then if Bobby Reid had stayed another year at Bristol then ****ed off next summer on a free?
    No that's exactly how a contract works, he's not done anything wrong by honouring the length of a contract.

Bristol City would probably be annoyed but that would be their fault either for not offerring a new one or trying to sell them. You can't blame a player for running down a contract and getting themself the best deal, they'd have to be a ****ing idiot to do any different.

If Gunnarsson/Zohore/Ralls had moved on last season for 3-5m I wouldn't have had an issue and I'd wish them well. But to run down your contract, wait for better offers through the WC, wait a further couple of weeks once out then sign for just a year when no decent teams came in, before being quoted as saying "never in doubt, I love this place, representing the capital of Wales" etc is poor imo but we'll agree to disagree.

Reid had a year left on his contract and let the club receive a very good fee. So he's shown ambition and ensured they receive a decent fee. Why would any club keep someone who's got a year on their deal, it offers the club absolutely nothing. That's why you see clubs shifting players on who have a year left on their contract unless they're worth very little like Greg Halford.
    You don't seem to grasp this but here goes:

Gunnarsson doesn't want to play in the Championship. That's fair enough, it's a tough slog and he's done it for 9 seasons. He can go abroad for an easier life, less games and for presumably more money.

He verbally agreed on a deal 6 weeks ago. Warnock said so. He's been to the world cup, had his holiday and signed the new deal in Iceland.

He has turned down offers before to stay. His agent could have been fielding calls for 6 months, so he'll have known how the land lies.

We're not going to get a decent fee for a 30 year old midfielder anyway, which is how old Gunnar will be next summer.

None of this is in the unreasonable at all. It's a good deal for both us and Gunnar.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    No that's exactly how a contract works, he's not done anything wrong by honouring the length of a contract.

Bristol City would probably be annoyed but that would be their fault either for not offerring a new one or trying to sell them. You can't blame a player for running down a contract and getting themself the best deal, they'd have to be a ****ing idiot to do any different.
    Think you're in the minority for that then. Good job Ramsey didn't run his deal down and piss off for free when we were fighting administration every season though, eh.

Yeah it was great, completely unrelated really but great.

If I’m in the minority it’s because I’m thinking about it logically. A contract is signed and it being honoured by both parties is about as “loyal” as you can be.

In exceptional cases I can see why some people would sign another contract and then leave anyway to make money for a struggling club. But in normal situations why would anyone lose themselves a huge signing on fee in order to put money into the pocket of an organisation and it’s owner?

Think you're in the minority for that then. Good job Ramsey didn't run his deal down and piss off for free when we were fighting administration every season though, eh.
    How is Gunnar doing out of a transfer fee if you said he has no offers so he's come crawling back?

If anything, he's saving us money so we don't have to pay his wages next year.