+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What to make of World Cup 2018?

What to make of World Cup 2018?

Re: What to make of World Cup 2018?

I definitely agree that it is very difficult to gauge whether a competition is stronger or weaker than another year, not without a large helping of circular logic.

This world cup had been brilliant entertainment, but I don't think it has been strong at the top end, but almost all of the teams have been competitive.

High, aggressive pressing is very much de rigeur at the moment with the top sides, when done correctly it is very effective as you dominate shot creation, but it is very difficult to do effectively with a national side.
    Different club sides have slightly different systems and pressing triggers, and these things have to be an instinctual reaction, if you have to think about it it is too late.
    Many of the big nations were trying to play in that way, but on average pressing teams at the world cup were giving up significantly bigger quality chances than in the top leagues in Europe. I suspect this is because the teams aren't together long enough to get it to function correctly.

As such we have seen several of the top sides falter to weaker on paper opposition.

England are fortunate in that many of their top sides are all playing an aggressive pressing game, Liverpool, spurs and man city especially.

A major part of the excitement is because there has been no great side in the competition and it's been pretty even all round - and I can't imagine people remembering any of the teams in a way that some of us do in respect of Brazil in 1970, for example. Or even the great German, Dutch and Spanish teams of the past. Many of the world's best players have already gone home, of course.
    VAR has added to the drama and the competition has been thoroughly entertaining whilst probably not being that memorable in the longer term.

I’ve probably enjoyed this one as much as any other one I’ve seen (first in 1994). I agree there hasn’t been a team you’d say were one of the strongest ever but I also don’t think that makes that much difference. Most matches have been exciting and there have been a few upsets.

France and Belgium on paper are 2 great sides and Croatia have 2 of the best centre midfielders around but I fancy england to do it.

One of the biggest talking points of the WC is Neymar's antics. He has totally embarrassed himself.

Another incident was Henderson falling to the floor with Maguire demanding VAR

There have been some great games, but the cheating and diving ruins the game.

Roll on Aug 18th.