+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: UK -A Third World Country

UK -A Third World Country

When it comes to broadband

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...gascar-3504857

According to the survey, compiled by Cable.co.uk on the basis of data collected by M-Lab, Singapore was the world’s fastest broadband country for the second year running, with average speeds of 60.39Mbps. Yemen came last with an average speed of 0.31Mbps.

Global broadband average speed rose from 7.4Mbps to 9.1Mbps in the 12 months to the end of May, up 23%.

The UK scored an average of 18.57Mbps, putting it 35th in the overall ranking and 26th among European countries. The UK was in the bottom third of EU member states.

Re: UK -A Third World Country

Not a third world country then

The term "Third World Country" is not an economic measurement as such, it refers to any country that is not a member of NATO or the old Warsaw Pact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Not a third world country then
    Ok a 4th then.

If it wasn’t for Virgin Media, god knows what the broadband would be like in this country.

Interesting and not only ridiculous but typical!
    I would have replied earlier but only just got your message.

Heisenberg

Are we getting clickbait on CCMB now?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Are we getting clickbait on CCMB now?
    I find it interesting since we are continually told that we have the best of everything.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I find it interesting since we are continually told that we have the best of everything.
    You've missed the point, as usual. The title of the post should have been 'UK - A Third World Country When It Comes To Broadband'. Leaving out the guts of the point (that we apparently have shit broadband) is clickbaity as f**k and misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    You've missed the point, as usual. The title of the post should have been 'UK - A Third World Country When It Comes To Broadband'. Leaving out the guts of the point (that we apparently have shit broadband) is clickbaity as f**k and misleading.
    Even then we are in the top 35 countries, third world for broadband is over egging it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Even then we are in the top 35 countries, third world for broadband is over egging it a bit.
    It's not all bad news, we are number one for pound shops, charity shops & coffee shops

I predict we'll move out of being ranked in the lower 3rd of EU Countries very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    I predict we'll move out of being ranked in the lower 3rd of EU Countries very soon.
    Maybe they could put it to a vote ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Maybe they could put it to a vote ?
    They wouldn't know how to deal with the result. Broadband CEO's will be resigning en masse.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It's not all bad news, we are number one for pound shops, charity shops & coffee shops
    That's true.

That report is quite misleading too, doing a Speedtest is one small test of downloading/uploading a file from/to a single server to a single device.

There are so many variables in play when it comes to your broadband speed. Whether you use Wi-fi or are hard-wired to your router, contention ratio on your connection to the exchange, speed of your backhaul connections, distance from your exchange (for adsl/vdsl), the time of day etc. etc.

I don’t imagine they are comparing like for like.