+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Watching the England team losing on penalties in 1990 just now

Watching the England team losing on penalties in 1990 just now

The present England could well go on to win it this yr, but imo, the 90’s side was easily a better 11.

Re: Watching the England team losing on penalties in 1990 just now

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The present England could well go on to win it this yr, but imo, the 90’s side was easily a better 11.
    I was saying this the other day. The 90 team had some world class players. They started slowly at that World Cup but could have won it if they had beaten Germany. Paul Gascoigne was outstanding towards the end. They were man for man more talented than the current crop Peter Shilton aside. I felt Shilton was past it and a liability for them. He didn't get near a penalty plus he just fell over for that Brehme free kick.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I was saying this the other day. The 90 team had some world class players. They started slowly at that World Cup but could have won it if they had beaten Germany. Paul Gascoigne was outstanding towards the end. They were man for man more talented than the current crop Peter Shilton aside. I felt Shilton was past it and a liability for them. He didn't get near a penalty plus he just fell over for that Brehme free kick.
    I watched a documentary the other day. The title was along the lines of "The Day Gazza Cried".

One of the old players (I can't remember who, possibly Terry Butcher) said that he'd never seen Shilton to save a pen.

Watching it on iplayer getting myself up for tomorrow. Good times.

Some observations -

Loads less pressing in those days. Players had loads more time on the ball and the pitch looks huuuge.

High pants.

More butcher’s aprons than george crosses.

Announcenents only in Italiano.

No back-pass rule.

One camera angle for pretty much the whole game.

If it wasn’t for the colour TV and mullets it’d feel like the dawn of football. Really interesting to see how voetbal has evolved in the space of 20 years to the game that we know now.

England looked much the better side.

Beardsley is the most troll-like footballer ever. Imagine a Ribery/Beardsley love child.

Pearce had a very long throw.

The only thing that hasn’t changed is that england fans are still boozey vermin.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    I watched a documentary the other day. The title was along the lines of "The Day Gazza Cried".

One of the old players (I can't remember who, possibly Terry Butcher) said that he'd never seen Shilton to save a pen.
    Shilton was a good goalie in his time and must have been a reassuring presence at the back. I seem to remember him making a good reflex save in that game from a header. Butcher is right about his penalty saving exploits though. He didn't get anywhere near any of them. They were all pretty good pens though. Maybe I'm being a bit hard on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

One camera angle for pretty much the whole game..
    From about 2 miles away as well.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    I loved Italia 90 , the lovely Robson, the sublime talent of Gazza.

If they had won that I think they may well have won the cup ,who would have bet against Pearce and Waddle missing penalties, painful .

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Yes do agree Shilton was on borrowed time, looked out of shape ,and not agile enough, who was the back up in them days , Seamen and Beasant I think , which says a lot

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes do agree Shilton was on borrowed time, looked out of shape ,and not agile enough, who was the back up in them days , Seamen and Beasant I think , which says a lot

Chris Woods. Decent keeper. Shilton was calm and a fixture though wasn't he. Maybe in hindsight for them they should have gone with Woods.

Parker second yellow!?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Watching it on iplayer getting myself up for tomorrow. Good times.

Some observations -

Loads less pressing in those days. Players had loads more time on the ball and the pitch looks huuuge.

High pants.

More butcher’s aprons than george crosses.

Announcenents only in Italiano.

No back-pass rule.

One camera angle for pretty much the whole game.

If it wasn’t for the colour TV and mullets it’d feel like the dawn of football. Really interesting to see how voetbal has evolved in the space of 20 years to the game that we know now.

England looked much the better side.

Beardsley is the most troll-like footballer ever. Imagine a Ribery/Beardsley love child.

Pearce had a very long throw.

The only thing that hasn’t changed is that england fans are still boozey vermin.

Watching the pens show how much the ball has changed, the ball moves a hell of alot faster, watching the England Germany pens, you can hear a thud as they kick the ball and it just moves really slow, todays ball just pings

England team were a lot whiter in 1990 than today.

I loved Italia 90 , the lovely Robson, the sublime talent of Gazza.

If they had won that I think they may well have won the cup ,who would have bet against Pearce and Waddle missing penalties, painful .
    Bobby Robson. What a lovely, genuine man he was. No international manager imo has ever deserved to win a World Cup more than him. He almost did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    They were whiter than Calum Patterson, who is surley the whitest City player ever ?

Bobby Robson, although I admire and like him, referred to Bryan Robson as "our best player". That always stuck with me. Bryan Robson was a trier. He worked hard. And was somewhat talented. He was also a pisshead and thick as shit. And what kind of manager says "our best player"?

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    You're right, the kit designs have changed. And England have played in red shirts quite often in this world cup but I'm sure it was white all the way in Italia 90.

They were whiter than Calum Patterson, who is surley the whitest City player ever ?
    Chris Burke.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Chris Burke.
    John Buchanan as well , all very northern hemisphere chaps , I still think Patterson is the whitest Celtic warrior ever to play for us , he's so white if he were to appear in a remake of Braveheart , he would only need to apply the blue part to his enormous chalky white face .