+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Family Tree

Family Tree

How do you go about finding stuff out?

I have very little info even on my grandparents. Name/Surname/Maiden name .... little more.

I’ve checked the GRO registers online for births/deaths/marriages but it doesn’t give you a whole lot to go on. You end up having to do a lot of guess work.

The GRO will send you certs but they are a tenner each so for every generation I’d end up spending twice as much as the previous, which to get anything resembling “a tree” would mean potentially forking out a months wages.

Are there any cheapy workarounds or resources that are dependable but not expensive?

Re: Family Tree

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/

Haven't looked into it myself, but appears to be free, at least at first.
    Then, register with a different email address to start a "new" search from where you left off.
    Alternatively, I think libraries have free access to this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

I have very little info even on my grandparents. Name/Surname/Maiden name .... little more.

I’ve checked the GRO registers online for births/deaths/marriages but it doesn’t give you a whole lot to go on. You end up having to do a lot of guess work.

The GRO will send you certs but they are a tenner each so for every generation I’d end up spending twice as much as the previous, which to get anything resembling “a tree” would mean potentially forking out a months wages.

Are there any cheapy workarounds or resources that are dependable but not expensive?
    In the first instance, ask relatives for as much info as you can, and write it down as a simple family tree.
    Try "free BMD" . A short subscription to "Find My Past" would help a lot. Local libraries may well have subscriptions that you can access for free, too. Good luck, especially if you are a bit Heinz 57, like me.(Irish/Italian/Welsh/English with a hint of Norman French and possibly Scottish from the days when it was sn independent country) Finding out stuff about ancestors abroad can be a pain. Good luck.
    Last edited by IanD; 11-07-18 at 11:22. Reason: Repitition

I’ve been doing this for a number of years, it can be a very expensive hobby. If you’re family are based in the old County of Glamorgan, I’d suggest joining the Glamorgan Family History Society – other counties have similar societies.

There are plenty of resources available on line, and you should have at least 3 items of evidence to ensure that you have the right person. Tracing Family history in Wales can be very difficult due to the small pool of names used, but you should find as you get used to it, that it gets a little easier. Start by asking your closest family members (especially the oldest members) if they have any details of ancestors, any family bibles or documents, photographs etc. You’ll be surprised what people have – and you may find that a family member has already done some research. Don’t dismiss family stories as far fetched, there is usually some element of truth in them, but also, don’t believe them outright, as there is always some embellishment.

Go to the library and borrow some books on Family History, there are plenty available. When I get home later I will give you a list of some that I’ve used. If you’re serious about it, get a good family tree program for your computer, most will give you instructions on how to record your work on their system – and remember to back it up. I also use a hand written card index for my relatives.

Census returns (from 1851 – 1911) are available, as are numerous parish records (some dating back to the 17th Century). Many old Newspapers are now on line, and may have births, marriages and deaths announcements – or court reports! Grave yards are an excellent source of detail, I’ve rummaged around quite a few in the last few years, but have gained an immense knowledge. You may need to know some “Grave stone” Welsh, but there are books that deal with subject.

I’ve managed to trace one branch back to 1650 in North Wales, another to 1850 in West Wales, another to 1820’s in East Wales and another to the early 1700’s in the Mid Glamorgan area.

If you need any more advice PM me.

There's someone on here who is both helpful and very knowledgeable about such stuff. I won't proffer his name but he is a star!
    Still trying to trace my maternal grandparents (as she was adopted) in what is probably a vain attempt to get an EU passport. Even did a DNA test this week lest someone genetically close to me is around. No gibbon jokes, thank you!
    For us amateurs I found findmypast a much better tool than some of the others.

For those tracing their family history for romantic reasons: the odds that the person who is your great-great-great grandfather is probably slimmer than you think. Unofficial adoptions, progeny from secret trysts and infidelity, as well as the moving around of bastards in the family in order to avoid social stigma may mean that you are the direct descendant from someone who mucked out horses rather than a member of the royal family.

Check out the 1939 register on find my past then work back. You really do need to buy birth and marriage certs. If you're serious about this, take it on as a long-term project. One cert a fortnight.
    I have worked on mine for almost 20 years.
    If you aren't prepared to spend money, I'd suggest you give up on it

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    There's someone on here who is both helpful and very knowledgeable about such stuff. I won't proffer his name but he is a star!
    Still trying to trace my maternal grandparents (as she was adopted) in what is probably a vain attempt to get an EU passport. Even did a DNA test this week lest someone genetically close to me is around. No gibbon jokes, thank you!
    For us amateurs I found findmypast a much better tool than some of the others.
    I HAVE JUST THIS MINUTE FOUND details of YOUR NATURAL MOTHER and YOUR GRANDMOTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Her names and date of birth are right!!!!

There is even a note that she was adopted.

Genuinely made up for you!!
    Will send further details very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I HAVE JUST THIS MINUTE FOUND details of YOUR NATURAL MOTHER and YOUR GRANDMOTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Her names and date of birth are right!!!!

There is even a note that she was adopted.

Genuinely made up for you!!
    Will send further details very soon.
    Thanks for being so discrete. By the way....
    I'M KEEPING YOUR BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for being so discrete. By the way....
    I'M KEEPING YOUR BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#discrete

Sorry couldn't contain myself - and you did post details on here.....

But if you don't want to know.....

#discrete

Sorry couldn't contain myself - and you did post details on here.....

But if you don't want to know.....

Pretty please It will be an anti-climax, of course....but thanks ;-)

Pretty please It will be an anti-climax, of course....but thanks ;-)
    Will pm you - in the interests of confidentiality and discretion.

I prefer to keep my light under a barrel, of course and not flaunt my undoubted skills.

Will pm you - in the interests of confidentiality and discretion.

I prefer to keep my light under a barrel, of course and not flaunt my undoubted skills.
    You are like a doctor at parties who gets asked questions about verrucas whilst scoffing vol-au-vents....

Wow. Good info. The problem I have is that ALL my family are abroad seing as I live in the Basque Country......so on the spot detective work is going to be tough unless I can twist my father's arm.

The Glamorgan Family History Society looks a good bet seeing as my fathers side appear to have married, died or been born in Cardiff/Ponty/Rhymney/Bedwellty. I think I have found my great grandparents marriage registry from the free .gov site. but again they are Williams, Matthews and Phillips so it's a little guessy beyond that seeing as I'm approximating the area and date of birth (give or take 10 years) and there are hundreds of people with those surnames. If they were immigrants from other parts of Wales (or god forbid...) , which I suppose the vast majority were in the late 1800's it's pretty much potluck when defining the search area. That's why I'm pretty much stuffed without the Marriage certificate of my great-grandparents.

On my Grandfathers side, his parents/grandparents were supposedly tinker-types from the North of Ireland so feck knows how I'd find that or even if traveller people were all registered, being nomadic and whatnot.

I'll probably have to take the plunge and get the marriage certificate of my great-granparents and take it from there, as advised, month by month.

If any of you want to share the intimate details of your finds, personally, I love good nose.

Wow. Good info. The problem I have is that ALL my family are abroad seing as I live in the Basque Country......so on the spot detective work is going to be tough unless I can twist my father's arm.

The Glamorgan Family History Society looks a good bet seeing as my fathers side appear to have married, died or been born in Cardiff/Ponty/Rhymney/Bedwellty. I think I have found my great grandparents marriage registry from the free .gov site. but again they are Williams, Matthews and Phillips so it's a little guessy beyond that seeing as I'm approximating the area and date of birth (give or take 10 years) and there are hundreds of people with those surnames. If they were immigrants from other parts of Wales (or god forbid...) , which I suppose the vast majority were in the late 1800's it's pretty much potluck when defining the search area. That's why I'm pretty much stuffed without the Marriage certificate of my great-grandparents.

On my Grandfathers side, his parents/grandparents were supposedly tinker-types from the North of Ireland so feck knows how I'd find that or even if traveller people were all registered, being nomadic and whatnot.

I'll probably have to take the plunge and get the marriage certificate of my great-granparents and take it from there, as advised, month by month.

If any of you want to share the intimate details of your finds, personally, I love good nose.
    Are you 100% sure that you have identified your great grandparents correctly? What period in time are you looking at with your Great grandparents? 10 years is a huge chunk of time to “guess” at and as you quite rightly point out, they may have migrated from other parts of Wales. During the turn of the 19th century thousands of workers moved from agriculture in Wales, Shropshire, Herefordshire, Gloucester, Somerset, Devon and Ireland into Wales for work, and they also moved from parish to parish, where ever the work would take them. Before spending out on certificates, you really to be sure you have the right people – otherwise it will become more expensive than it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Are you 100% sure that you have identified your great grandparents correctly? What period in time are you looking at with your Great grandparents? 10 years is a huge chunk of time to “guess” at and as you quite rightly point out, they may have migrated from other parts of Wales. During the turn of the 19th century thousands of workers moved from agriculture in Wales, Shropshire, Herefordshire, Gloucester, Somerset, Devon and Ireland into Wales for work, and they also moved from parish to parish, where ever the work would take them. Before spending out on certificates, you really to be sure you have the right people – otherwise it will become more expensive than it needs to be.
    Weeeell, I think I'm sure. Feel free to guide me though.....

I found a marriage entry in GRO for Francis Williams and Sheila Matthews in 1940 in Cardiff. I couldn't find anything similar and those are the names of my grandparents. They were definitely married in Cardiff. The year would kind of fit in with my father's year of birth as well. From that entry I then worked out the year (give or take ten years) that my Grandma must have been born. I know she spent her childhood in Abertridwr and her family had a butcher's there or something. So the only person I found with her name , born in the area was in 1918 in Pontypridd. I think that is pretty nailed on. On the registry of my grandmothers birth, I found the maiden name of her mother which was Phillips. Now, this is where it gets a bit guessy. I found a marriage entry for a David Morgan Matthews and Mary Elizabeth Williams in Rhymney in 1915. The only other thing I found within Wales with the same names around the same date was a between a couple in Pembroke. I'm pretty sure they would have been our side of the border because they were welsh-speakers. Also, like I said , my grandmother's father had a butcher's..... maybe he did some work in the mines as well. I can't really remember. I'm pretty sure they would have been in the area a couple of years before my grandmother's birth and I suppose Rhymney is pretty near Abertridwr. So it kind of fits.

On my grandfather's side, I think all the family were from Cardiff. The only thing I know about him was that his family had/ or worked in a dairy that used to be on or near Albany Road. But I haven't really looked into that side very much.

If you need a hand with the Irish side give me a shout. It can be a lot easier than you might think.

Some books that may help you -
    First World War Army Service Records - A Guide for Family Historians. William SPENCER ISBN 978 1 905615 26 1
    Welsh Family History - A Guide to Research. ROWLANDS & ROWLANDS ISBN 1 86006 065 X
    Second Stages in Researching Welsh Ancestry. ROWLANDS & ROWLANDS ISBN 1 86006 066 8
    The Surnames of Wales. ROWLANDS & ROWLANDS ISBN 1 86006 025 0 (I think this has just been updated recently and re-published as a new edition).
    Tracing Your Welsh Ancestry - A Guide for Family Historians. Beryl EVANS ISBN 978 1 84884 359 2

Clearly if you find ancestors from elsewhere, there are books which will help from those areas.

Where do you live.
    Ebbw Vale archives provide free access to ancestry.co.uk
    It's worth finding out if there's similiar services in other areas of Wales

I had great grand parents that would have lived in Wattsville with the name Matthews

The National Library of Wales is a brilliant website for researching Welsh family history.

Among its treasures it has Welsh tithe maps and keys which are searchable and a fabulous browseable set of Welsh newspapers.

If you order something, their charges are ridiculously low.

https://www.library.wales/collection...the-catalogue/