+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Pay

BBC Pay

Got bugger all live sport, but can afford to pay Lineker £1.75 million a year and Shearer over £420k

A bloody scandal.

Re: BBC Pay

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Got bugger all live sport, but can afford to pay Lineker £1.75 million a year and Shearer over £420k

A bloody scandal.
    We have the same here. Money is thrown at people like this. State television is just like independent TV, full of advertising yet lose millions each year.
    The top broadcaster on radio earns nearly €500k p.a. A job for life!

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    We have the same here. Money is thrown at people like this. State television is just like independent TV, full of advertising yet lose millions each year.
    The top broadcaster on radio earns nearly €500k p.a. A job for life!
    Shearer, Lineker and Wright's salaries are absolutely disgraceful.

NOBODY watches football for the pundits - in fact if I'm watching on catch up I (I'm guessing like everyone else) fast forward through them.

You would lose ZERO viewers if you got rid of them. And if you replaced them with entertaining people (couple of comedians like the old fantasy football league) you might even gain a few.

A bloody scandal.
    Adrian Chiles earnt £4.5m a year at ITV. If you had rubbish pundits on the Beeb, then people would complain about that too. Talent costs money, and most people at the BBC are working at a discount.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Adrian Chiles earnt £4.5m a year at ITV. If you had rubbish pundits on the Beeb, then people would complain about that too. Talent costs money, and most people at the BBC are working at a discount.
    I am completely unsure about relative values And related wage/salaries
    Where else could these people earn that kind of money Is there a competitive market place for their skill?
    How are these salary levels set
    Is it by the agents or is it by the budget holders who allocate an amount of money based on budget and not on any kind of added value formula

The formats for these programs are unchanged over the years and I believe that 1 no audience numbers would be lost if you got rid of expensive pundits
    And 2 a fundamental rethink about how these types of programs are formatted should be undertaken to understand more about the viewers wants and needs

But the licence payer didn’t pay him, and what happened to him? ITV got their fingers burnt with that bit of business.
    Doesn’t take away from the fact that BBC got bugger all coverage of any sport anymore

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Shearer, Lineker and Wright's salaries are absolutely disgraceful.

NOBODY watches football for the pundits - in fact if I'm watching on catch up I (I'm guessing like everyone else) fast forward through them.

You would lose ZERO viewers if you got rid of them. And if you replaced them with entertaining people (couple of comedians like the old fantasy football league) you might even gain a few.
    At halftime I switch over to the news. I don't want to see anyone stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    At halftime I switch over to the news. I don't want to see anyone stating the obvious.
    Luckily I had already left the thread before I read your post.

But the licence payer didn’t pay him, and what happened to him? ITV got their fingers burnt with that bit of business.
    Doesn’t take away from the fact that BBC got bugger all coverage of any sport anymore
    It's a Gov ploy to publish their salaries so the BBC lose their stars, start producing rubbish TV and then nobody will care when it becomes scaled back and becomes nothing more than a public information channel. They've made no secret of this.

In my opinion, the BBC is absolutely value for money and produces more than it's fair share of top TV programmes. Who would have thought that the countries' top entertainers get paid well?

It's a Gov ploy to publish their salaries so the BBC lose their stars, start producing rubbish TV and then nobody will care when it becomes scaled back and becomes nothing more than a public information channel. They've made no secret of this.

In my opinion, the BBC is absolutely value for money and produces more than it's fair share of top TV programmes. Who would have thought that the countries' top entertainers get paid well?
    100%. The government re trying to undermine the BBC and its working

Agree entirely. The BBC's popularity is fading so I guess the plan is working.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Agree entirely. The BBC's popularity is fading so I guess the plan is working.
    Stars doesn't equate to good TV.

Good direction, innovation, writing, set design, journalism and research does that. And that doesn't have to cost millions.

The people who front these programs are so much less important that people give them credit for, and in most case are completely expendable and interchangeable.

The BBC shouldn't be about big stars and personalities. It should be different from commercial TV. It should take risks, make programmes and cater for people that other broadcasters don't.

That remind me I've not seen my BBC wage slip this month

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    That remind me I've not seen my BBC wage slip this month
    Sorry I meant to type BB sex

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Stars doesn't equate to good TV.

Good direction, innovation, writing, set design, journalism and research does that. And that doesn't have to cost millions.

The people who front these programs are so much less important that people give them credit for, and in most case are completely expendable and interchangeable.

The BBC shouldn't be about big stars and personalities. It should be different from commercial TV. It should take risks, make programmes and cater for people that other broadcasters don't.
    The BBC does exactly what your last sentence says. And unfortunately it's not true that presenters are interchangeable. People like seeing familiar faces, that's why familiar faces cost money. If it was true that cheap options would get the same results every channel would be doing that.

In my opinion, the BBC is absolutely value for money and produces more than it's fair share of top TV programmes. Who wouldve thought that the countries' top entertainers get paid well?
    I wouldn't call Lineker, Shearer etc entertainers. Whatever you think the money they get for the licence fee could be spent in better quarters.

I bet jimmy hill never got paid the equivalent back in the day.

A bloody scandal.
    Unbelievable.

How much is that gob shite Christopher Evans on ?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    How much is that gob shite Christopher Evans on ?
    Is he paid via the commercial side of the BBC ,like the real big earners ?

A bloody scandal.

Yes, all are paid too much but the two that really stand out are Shearer and Wright. The only mitigating point, although small for Wright is his length of service. But for part time Shearer there is no mitigation.

Match of the Day must be a very expensive programme and whilst it’s a flagship programme for the BBC it’s a brand that has been in decline for a very long time. If Lineker and Shearer decided to move on of their own violation the programme would have to make changes. I wouldn’t wait!

On balance I remain a fan of the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    100%. The government re trying to undermine the BBC and its working
    They definitely have been for years, they try and put a negative spin on everything the bbc do and so many people get taken in by it.

CCMB is actually a good indicator of the rest of the uk because you see so many on here taken in by obvious "propaganda" like this, the power the media has influencing a lot of the population has never been more obvious.

Touch patronising there, Croesy.

Surely the BBC is part of that media to which you refer.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    They definitely have been for years, they try and put a negative spin on everything the bbc do and so many people get taken in by it.

CCMB is actually a good indicator of the rest of the uk because you see so many on here taken in by obvious "propaganda" like this, the power the media has influencing a lot of the population has never been more obvious.
    Christ there's some shite posted on here, but that has got to be up there with the best of them.