Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
I can see what Henderson brings to the side in terms of balance, England look far worse when Dier is playing instead of him, but playing both Lingard & Alli makes little sense to me (you can throw Sterling in there as well). I'm not sure the 3 at the back worked as well for them as has been made out
That three at the back system with the full backs is lovely when you play against teams that generally don't attack down the flanks, or have creativity (See Tunisia, Panama, and Colombia w/o Rodriguez and Sweden.. and they struggled in two of those games!) but the two times they play teams with creativity, and players who can actually play the ball, they lose. Flawed system, that got overhyped by some ok performances against below average teams. I look forward to the next tournament, as I really do not think this style will work once teams have looked at it properly. As for Lingard, and Alli, well they better hope Phil Foden and Jadon Sancho get proper game time, the pair of them are garbage against quality opponents. Mexico must be kicking themselves they were so sloppy against Sweden.