+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: European Semi or World Cup Semi?

  1. #1

    European Semi or World Cup Semi?

    Which is the greater achievement?

    On the face of it the answer should be easy - the World Cup has the best teams in the world - however Europe has a higher concentration of Good / ok teams whereas the World Cup is diluted by the 4th team in each group.

    You could argue that it's a harder route to get to a euro semi than a world cup semi.

    Still, I guess they'll have an open top bus ride.

  2. #2

    Re: European Semi or World Cup Semi?

    This has been debated before - the Euros is a harder competition, NQAT

  3. #3

    Re: European Semi or World Cup Semi?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    This has been debated before - the Euros is a harder competition, NQAT
    I agree that was the case previously, but, while increasing the number of teams taking part has to be good news for countries like Wales, it also leads to a decline in standards - although, by the end, we had more than proved ourselves, there were some pretty ordinary sides in Euro 2016.

  4. #4

    Re: European Semi or World Cup Semi?

    Getting to a world cup semi on paper is the bigger achievment. Getting to a semi of a major tournement as a country with a population of 3 million vs a country of 53 million is a greater achievement imo.

  5. #5

    Re: European Semi or World Cup Semi?

    Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Getting to a world cup semi on paper is the bigger achievment. Getting to a semi of a major tournement as a country with a population of 3 million vs a country of 53 million is a greater achievement imo.
    A country with ~70 professional footballers to chose from v a country with <1,500 to choose from.

    Roughly 50% of Wales available players have been capped!

  6. #6

    Re: European Semi or World Cup Semi?

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I agree that was the case previously, but, while increasing the number of teams taking part has to be good news for countries like Wales, it also leads to a decline in standards - although, by the end, we had more than proved ourselves, there were some pretty ordinary sides in Euro 2016.
    Bob, there are some ordinary teams in this World Cup too! Previous winners like Argentina,Spain and Germany have failed to show up. As every man and his dog pointed out , Englandís side of the draw was full of very ordinary teams who didnít have much flair and based their game on being compact and hard to beat, Croatia have gone to extra time 3 times!

    Best teams have been Belgium and France and I expect France to win .Japanís effort against Belgium was the performance I think I have enjoyed the most !

    Wales missed a big opportunity failing to qualify last year , I would have expected us to have got to last 8 or 16 with a fully fit Bale,Ramsey and Allen.

  7. #7

    Re: European Semi or World Cup Semi?

    The overall quality of the Euros is probably higher

    You have to take into account the variable when comparing the achievement, like population, player pool, the actual squad & the quality of opponents

    I'd argue that Wales had a harder route than England did, especially when comparing the groups & quarter final opponents so Wales' achievement is greater IMO. Especially when you consider the difference in population

  8. #8

    Re: European Semi or World Cup Semi?

    And we beat Belgium.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •