"Bizarrely" not mentioned at all by the commentators

https://twitter.com/VJesenicnik/stat...42515265429506

Re: England tried to score when Croatia were celebrating their second goal

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    "Bizarrely" not mentioned at all by the commentators

https://twitter.com/VJesenicnik/stat...42515265429506
    Funny when 🇨🇴 did it mind.

Where has this 'rule' suddenly come from? It's just some joke someone made on Twitter, surely. No one has ever been able to just kick off when they feel like it.

Whoever first tweeted it must be very chuffed with themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Funny when ���� did it mind.
    Panama weren't it?

Such a weird thing to do though, imagine if they'd scored, it had been allowed and they'd gone through on penalties. How could you take any pride in that having cheated so blatantly? It's not as if Croatia were celebrating for an insane amount of time. I'd have loved to have seen the pundits trying to justify it though.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Where has this 'rule' suddenly come from? It's just some joke someone made on Twitter, surely. No one has ever been able to just kick off when they feel like it.

Whoever first tweeted it must be very chuffed with themselves.
    I remember when Hudson scored from his own half against Derby, Gunnar didn't celebrate in the pile-on and stood in the Derby half. Someone then claimed it was to stop Derby from kicking off as all our players were in our half.

I've seen this kind of thing a few times in this tournament, but not heard of it at all before that.

Quote Originally Posted by tomm View Post
    I remember when Hudson scored from his own half against Derby, Gunnar didn't celebrate in the pile-on and stood in the Derby half. Someone then claimed it was to stop Derby from kicking off as all our players were in our half.
    I'd never heard that from back then. I'm sure if it was genuine then it would have happened before now and the resultant shit storm would have made it around the world within an hour.

Must be very unusual for goal celebrations to be in a teams own half. Maybe Derby could have kicked off in those circs.

Would be funny to see someone pull it off though

Yes, I remember that as well. If Gunnar had been in our half they could have kicked off quite happily, as long as the ref agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've seen this kind of thing a few times in this tournament, but not heard of it at all before that.
    Me too, Maybe there was a directive to refs before the tournament to keep the game flowing as much as possible and this was one of the things mentioned? I know Trippier made a point of standing in Tunisia's half after Kane's late winner so the ref couldn't restart play.

A quick restart isn't blatant cheating, as Delmbox claims, it's the ref's decision. There's a grey area here; celebrations are great but then everyone moans about time-wasting, where's the line between the two? The ref can add the time on, of course, but he can do that with all time wasting. Are we saying teams should be allowed as long as they want to celebrate a goal and then walk slowly back to their positions while the clock's still running? It's a tricky one.

Not quite the same but here's how a hockey umpire dealt with the Belgian women coming out late for the second half of a World Cup game in 2014. My guess is that they didn't make the same mistake again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug7ARAYJd5Y

FIFA rules say that if all the opposition players are back in their own half, or off the pitch then you can kick off.

Arsenal kicked off when Rose scored that wonder goal for Spurs and celebrated in his own half.

There must have been some directive to tell teams about it because a few sides have kept one of the players on the pitch when they've celebrated off it. https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/06/19...nts-quick-kick

It'd be a brave ref who let a team kick off towards an empty pitch in those circumstances during the world cup, of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Me too, Maybe there was a directive to refs before the tournament to keep the game flowing as much as possible and this was one of the things mentioned? I know Trippier made a point of standing in Tunisia's half after Kane's late winner so the ref couldn't restart play.

A quick restart isn't blatant cheating, as Delmbox claims, it's the ref's decision. There's a grey area here; celebrations are great but then everyone moans about time-wasting, where's the line between the two? The ref can add the time on, of course, but he can do that with all time wasting. Are we saying teams should be allowed as long as they want to celebrate a goal and then walk slowly back to their positions while the clock's still running? It's a tricky one.

Not quite the same but here's how a hockey umpire dealt with the Belgian women coming out late for the second half of a World Cup game in 2014. My guess is that they didn't make the same mistake again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug7ARAYJd5Y
    I meant more in the spirit of the game blatant cheating rather than actual written down rules. You couldn't be proud of a team that did that. If say Wales had beaten Portugal with that kind of move it would leave a bad taste in my mouth

Wouldn’t have counted anyway. Was offside.

I'm sure a few seasons ago was a game in the league and this happened and the goal stood, I think one of the teams were millwall

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I meant more in the spirit of the game blatant cheating rather than actual written down rules. You couldn't be proud of a team that did that. If say Wales had beaten Portugal with that kind of move it would leave a bad taste in my mouth
    Good post, that's right I think. Thing is though, if a team are obviously taking too long celebrating then how do you deal with it? Say they'd been warned about it and they do it again then they've only got themselves to blame if the ref restarts quickly. It's certainly more of a deterrent than a couple of meaningless yellow cards. I like that hockey clip I put up, it would've served Belgium right if they'd conceded and, as I said, I doubt they (or anyone else) made the same mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Wouldn’t have counted anyway. Was offside.
    This. So dumb. You have to pass to someone from kickoff. As soon as you kick the ball forward it's offside.

International

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    This. So dumb. You have to pass to someone from kickoff. As soon as you kick the ball forward it's offside.
    What???????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What???????????????????
    I think he's been on the pop!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No, because all your team mates would be in their own half so can't be offside!

No, because all your team mates would be in their own half so can't be offside!
    The offside is when Lingard passes it back to Rashford, who is both in front of him, and in Croatia’s half.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The offside is when Lingard passes it back to Rashford, who is both in front of him, and in Croatia’s half.
    Yeah I know. But this is not straight from kick off, which is the post I was replying to.

Yeah I know. But this is not straight from kick off, which is the post I was replying to.
    Expanding on my reply.

I wasn't saying that one wasn't offside. I was saying it is possible to kick off in this manner and remain onside (also as the ball doesn't have to go forward) as NYC suggested it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Good post, that's right I think. Thing is though, if a team are obviously taking too long celebrating then how do you deal with it? Say they'd been warned about it and they do it again then they've only got themselves to blame if the ref restarts quickly. It's certainly more of a deterrent than a couple of meaningless yellow cards. I like that hockey clip I put up, it would've served Belgium right if they'd conceded and, as I said, I doubt they (or anyone else) made the same mistake again.
    I don't think I've ever seen a team take an unreasonable amount of time celebrating, sometimes maybe when you need a goal you'd scream get on with it at them but that's more frustration rather than any actual belief they're infringing. The ref did the right thing in that hockey game but that's a different situation - there's a set amount of time you're allowed at half time and they went over. In terms of goal celebrations common sense should (and in my experience, is) applied

Fairly sure that is a genuine rule, although I doubt the ref would have been ok with it anyway.

Difference here is that most of Croatia's players are off the pitch, not in their own half