+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: England tried to score when Croatia were celebrating their second goal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: England tried to score when Croatia were celebrating their second goal

I've seen this kind of thing a few times in this tournament, but not heard of it at all before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've seen this kind of thing a few times in this tournament, but not heard of it at all before that.
    Me too, Maybe there was a directive to refs before the tournament to keep the game flowing as much as possible and this was one of the things mentioned? I know Trippier made a point of standing in Tunisia's half after Kane's late winner so the ref couldn't restart play.

A quick restart isn't blatant cheating, as Delmbox claims, it's the ref's decision. There's a grey area here; celebrations are great but then everyone moans about time-wasting, where's the line between the two? The ref can add the time on, of course, but he can do that with all time wasting. Are we saying teams should be allowed as long as they want to celebrate a goal and then walk slowly back to their positions while the clock's still running? It's a tricky one.

Not quite the same but here's how a hockey umpire dealt with the Belgian women coming out late for the second half of a World Cup game in 2014. My guess is that they didn't make the same mistake again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug7ARAYJd5Y

FIFA rules say that if all the opposition players are back in their own half, or off the pitch then you can kick off.

Arsenal kicked off when Rose scored that wonder goal for Spurs and celebrated in his own half.

There must have been some directive to tell teams about it because a few sides have kept one of the players on the pitch when they've celebrated off it. https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/06/19...nts-quick-kick

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Me too, Maybe there was a directive to refs before the tournament to keep the game flowing as much as possible and this was one of the things mentioned? I know Trippier made a point of standing in Tunisia's half after Kane's late winner so the ref couldn't restart play.

A quick restart isn't blatant cheating, as Delmbox claims, it's the ref's decision. There's a grey area here; celebrations are great but then everyone moans about time-wasting, where's the line between the two? The ref can add the time on, of course, but he can do that with all time wasting. Are we saying teams should be allowed as long as they want to celebrate a goal and then walk slowly back to their positions while the clock's still running? It's a tricky one.

Not quite the same but here's how a hockey umpire dealt with the Belgian women coming out late for the second half of a World Cup game in 2014. My guess is that they didn't make the same mistake again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug7ARAYJd5Y
    I meant more in the spirit of the game blatant cheating rather than actual written down rules. You couldn't be proud of a team that did that. If say Wales had beaten Portugal with that kind of move it would leave a bad taste in my mouth

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I meant more in the spirit of the game blatant cheating rather than actual written down rules. You couldn't be proud of a team that did that. If say Wales had beaten Portugal with that kind of move it would leave a bad taste in my mouth
    Good post, that's right I think. Thing is though, if a team are obviously taking too long celebrating then how do you deal with it? Say they'd been warned about it and they do it again then they've only got themselves to blame if the ref restarts quickly. It's certainly more of a deterrent than a couple of meaningless yellow cards. I like that hockey clip I put up, it would've served Belgium right if they'd conceded and, as I said, I doubt they (or anyone else) made the same mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Good post, that's right I think. Thing is though, if a team are obviously taking too long celebrating then how do you deal with it? Say they'd been warned about it and they do it again then they've only got themselves to blame if the ref restarts quickly. It's certainly more of a deterrent than a couple of meaningless yellow cards. I like that hockey clip I put up, it would've served Belgium right if they'd conceded and, as I said, I doubt they (or anyone else) made the same mistake again.
    I don't think I've ever seen a team take an unreasonable amount of time celebrating, sometimes maybe when you need a goal you'd scream get on with it at them but that's more frustration rather than any actual belief they're infringing. The ref did the right thing in that hockey game but that's a different situation - there's a set amount of time you're allowed at half time and they went over. In terms of goal celebrations common sense should (and in my experience, is) applied

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a team take an unreasonable amount of time celebrating, sometimes maybe when you need a goal you'd scream get on with it at them but that's more frustration rather than any actual belief they're infringing. The ref did the right thing in that hockey game but that's a different situation - there's a set amount of time you're allowed at half time and they went over. In terms of goal celebrations common sense should (and in my experience, is) applied
    Good post again, hard to argue with any of that. Oddly enough, for the first time ever I did find myself getting frustrated with a couple of teams' second half celebrations last season. All the outfield players making their way to the far corner for a group hug and some fist pumping and then a nice leisurely 50-80 yard stroll back to their positions. I know all our players join in with celebrations too but at least we only score from set-pieces so they're all up that end already.

You're probably right though, teams aren't taking longer to celebrate, I'm just getting old and crotchety. It's a big part of the match day experience and I've always felt that officials who punish or curtail it are completely out of touch so I'd be a hypocrite to advocate quick restarts. Like you say, common sense should prevail.