+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 56

Thread: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

  1. #1

    Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    I realise many of you describe yourself Welsh after reaching Euros 2016. Being honest, what would you gave described yourselves in the past?
    Many city fans would of supported England in the 90's. In fact quite a few would of travelled supporting them (don't lie). AA and like minded travelled following them. Half of them would of followed Lpool, Villa, Spurs ChelseA, West Ham etc when we were in div 3 and 4.
    If you're from that age bracket, tell me honestly I'm bulkshitting.

    Same people would accuse others of being plastics

  2. #2

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Other than in cricket, where the English team is representative of the England and Wales cricket board (not bothered that the Wales bit is often omitted), I've not supported England in any event since I was 13 (1991). As a kid I did regularly. My 5 year old son supported England in this world cup and was devastated when they lost last night. When I worked in a primary school, most kids supported England.

    I think there is an age where some realise or are told that it's not ok to support England any more. Rightly too.

  3. #3

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I realise many of you describe yourself Welsh after reaching Euros 2016. Being honest, what would you gave described yourselves in the past?
    Many city fans would of supported England in the 90's. In fact quite a few would of travelled supporting them (don't lie). AA and like minded travelled following them. Half of them would of followed Lpool, Villa, Spurs ChelseA, West Ham etc when we were in div 3 and 4.
    If you're from that age bracket, tell me honestly I'm bulkshitting.

    Same people would accuse others of being plastics
    “I'm bulkshitting”

    Too right you are. It’s been coming out of your every orifice for 12 months or more

    Bulkshitter.

  4. #4

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    I was born in Cardiff, and will not support Engerland in any sport whether it be tiddlywinks or football full stop.
    This includes Britain's got talent, the voice, pointless, etc. Basically anything that puts an English in competition with a Welsman, or in the case of football anyone they play on of account of them being ***** and that.

  5. #5

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    I have felt British and proud of that .

    I support Wales whoever they play above all else , other than Cardiff ,as I love my city beyond any nationalistic view.

    I would support England in any competion that Wales were not in.

    My dad was Welsh Aberfan family.

    My mum was as English as they come born in Croydon bombed out and came to Wales.

    She taught me to support both I guess as we all live on this special Island and folk have died for our unique liberties, and wealth, which has crossed all boundaries .

  6. #6

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I have felt British and proud of that .

    I support Wales whoever they play above all else , other than Cardiff ,as I love my city beyond any nationalistic view.

    I would support England in any competion that Wales were not in.

    My dad was Welsh Aberfan family.

    My mum was as English as they come born in Croydon bombed out and came to Wales.

    She taught me to support both I guess as we all live on this special Island and folk have died for our unique liberties, and wealth, which has crossed all boundaries .
    Unique liberties and wealth? I'll look that one up.

  7. #7

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    “I'm bulkshitting”

    Too right you are. It’s been coming out of your every orifice for 12 months or more

    Bulkshitter.
    Typos, how clever of you.

  8. #8

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Typos, how clever of you.
    Typos, or you were pissed again?

  9. #9

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Typos, or you were pissed again?
    Check your keyboard, you'll find the L and K alongside each other. Its OK for you, you have Trump hands

  10. #10

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    I've always been Welsh and supported Wales regardless of where we were.

    I've never once been enticed to think about supporting england.

  11. #11

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Ireland has more visiting fans to the English PL than any other nation. Perhaps we should start there.

  12. #12

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Always Welsh (Born in Ebbw Vale)

  13. #13

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Ireland had the more visiting fans to the English PL than any other nation. Perhaps we should start there.
    Really? Its been that way since the 60's.

    You won't find Irish fans actively supporting England. Unlike many in Wales. Whether you like it or not, many in Wales acknowledge their Welshness on International day only.

    Take sport out of the equation, I feel a very large number of ppl identify as British rather than Welsh. Many of you have an inferiority complex, similar to a % in Norn Iron. Like them, you're confused on what you actually are.

  14. #14

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I realise many of you describe yourself Welsh after reaching Euros 2016. Being honest, what would you gave described yourselves in the past?
    Many city fans would of supported England in the 90's. In fact quite a few would of travelled supporting them (don't lie). AA and like minded travelled following them. Half of them would of followed Lpool, Villa, Spurs ChelseA, West Ham etc when we were in div 3 and 4.
    If you're from that age bracket, tell me honestly I'm bulkshitting.

    Same people would accuse others of being plastics
    AA (I'm assuming you're referring to the proprietor of another msg board) is more English than Welsh.

  15. #15

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    AA (I'm assuming you're referring to the proprietor of another msg board) is more English than Welsh.
    Ahh OK, I thought he was born in Cardiff.

  16. #16

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Ahh OK, I thought he was born in Cardiff.
    He was - to an English mother and Egyptian father. I think he supports England as much as Wales.
    Last edited by The Bloop; 13-07-18 at 08:28. Reason: .

  17. #17

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Really? Its been that way since the 60's.

    You won't find Irish fans actively supporting England. Unlike many in Wales. Whether you like it or not, many in Wales acknowledge their Welshness on International day only.

    Take sport out of the equation, I feel a very large number of ppl identify as British rather than Welsh. Many of you have an inferiority complex, similar to a % in Norn Iron. Like them, you're confused on what you actually are.
    I’d say people who consider themselves proud Irish fans for the day and then toddle off to become plastic Scousers and Mancs for 95% of the season are a little confused. I’d say the same about Welsh fans. Except with the Irish it appears to be the vast majority of them.

    Funny topic for you to raise considering Ireland has probably the highest proportion of plastic fans anywhere.

  18. #18

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Ahh OK, I thought he was born in Cardiff.
    I did too, although there was something I remember a while back about him living in Leeds and supporting them?

  19. #19

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    He was - to an English mother and Egyptian father. I think he supports England as much as Wales.
    You lot tend to call second generation Irish 'Plastic Paddies.'

    Jeez, he's a lucky fan. Euro semi 2016, WC semi 2018.

  20. #20

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I did too, although there was something I remember a while back about him living in Leeds and supporting them?
    I think it was Bradford.

  21. #21

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    I realise many of you describe yourself Welsh after reaching Euros 2016. Being honest, what would you gave described yourselves in the past?
    Many city fans would of supported England in the 90's. In fact quite a few would of travelled supporting them (don't lie). AA and like minded travelled following them. Half of them would of followed Lpool, Villa, Spurs ChelseA, West Ham etc when we were in div 3 and 4.
    If you're from that age bracket, tell me honestly I'm bulkshitting.

    Same people would accuse others of being plastics
    Cardiff, Welsh, British. It’s not difficult!

  22. #22

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    Cardiff, Welsh, British. It’s not difficult!
    Not forgetting European. Oh yeah, I forgot. ;)

  23. #23
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    5,219

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    Unique liberties and wealth? I'll look that one up.
    If you lived in some other places in this world you wouldn't scoff at that rermark.

    My wife is from outside UK ans the first time she came to London she said to me "I can't understand it!" I asked her what she was ralking about and she said, "They are all so free. I can't understand how people can be this free"
    I told her I didn't know what she meant and she said, "Just look at everybody, they are so free!" She could see it, the only reason we can't is because we take it for granted. When I took her to see the houses of parliament she was almost in tears looking at Big Ben. She told me that for everyone she knows that, above everything else, is the symbol of freedom. She told me that she had looked at thousands of pictures of it, dreamed of seeing it but never really thought she would ever get the chance.
    You might think this is the reaction of a third world resident but it's not, and when I related the thing about her seeing people being free to a friend of mine he agreed. He is an Italian, an architect from Sicily working in UK and living in Richmond. He said he totally agreed with her and he couldn't understand what was difficult about it.
    I pointed out that he was as free as I am, as he is a citizen of the EU. He laughed at me. he said that I had no idea what I was talking about and that he could never do in Italy the things that we do without thinking. He said if eve there was any brexit problem with foreigners here they would have to take him kicking and screaming back to Italy, because he would never leave UK voluntarily.

    So the comment is actually quite valid!!! Be grateful that the Irish can still take advantage of it - - - - for now!!

  24. #24

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Many city fans would of supported England in the 90's. In fact quite a few would of travelled supporting them (don't lie). AA and like minded travelled following them. Half of them would of followed Lpool, Villa, Spurs ChelseA, West Ham etc when we were in div 3 and 4.

    Use of "would of" is entirely inappropriate. You do not "of" anything. I would not contemplate supporting any side other than Wales or Cardiff City although would have been interested in watching games involving British teams. However, in the dark days of the lower leagues, when my son wore a Cardiff City shirt to his Junior school he was ridiculed by his school mates so pestered me for a Liverpool shirt which I reluctantly bought. You see plenty of people wearing Man U, Liverpool, Spurs Real Madrid, Barcelona etc shirts to this day so my guess is that it is not enough for these people to see Cardiff in the Premier league as they support success and not the occasional visitor to the UK's top league.

  25. #25

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    If you lived in some other places in this world you wouldn't scoff at that rermark.

    My wife is from outside UK ans the first time she came to London she said to me "I can't understand it!" I asked her what she was ralking about and she said, "They are all so free. I can't understand how people can be this free"
    I told her I didn't know what she meant and she said, "Just look at everybody, they are so free!" She could see it, the only reason we can't is because we take it for granted. When I took her to see the houses of parliament she was almost in tears looking at Big Ben. She told me that for everyone she knows that, above everything else, is the symbol of freedom. She told me that she had looked at thousands of pictures of it, dreamed of seeing it but never really thought she would ever get the chance.
    You might think this is the reaction of a third world resident but it's not, and when I related the thing about her seeing people being free to a friend of mine he agreed. He is an Italian, an architect from Sicily working in UK and living in Richmond. He said he totally agreed with her and he couldn't understand what was difficult about it.
    I pointed out that he was as free as I am, as he is a citizen of the EU. He laughed at me. he said that I had no idea what I was talking about and that he could never do in Italy the things that we do without thinking. He said if eve there was any brexit problem with foreigners here they would have to take him kicking and screaming back to Italy, because he would never leave UK voluntarily.

    So the comment is actually quite valid!!! Be grateful that the Irish can still take advantage of it - - - - for now!!
    That's odd, as I was reading this I found myself whistling ,'The Dambusters '

  26. #26

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Many city fans would of supported England in the 90's. In fact quite a few would of travelled supporting them (don't lie). AA and like minded travelled following them. Half of them would of followed Lpool, Villa, Spurs ChelseA, West Ham etc when we were in div 3 and 4.

    Use of "would of" is entirely inappropriate. You do not "of" anything. I would not contemplate supporting any side other than Wales or Cardiff City although would have been interested in watching games involving British teams. However, in the dark days of the lower leagues, when my son wore a Cardiff City shirt to his Junior school he was ridiculed by his school mates so pestered me for a Liverpool shirt which I reluctantly bought. You see plenty of people wearing Man U, Liverpool, Spurs Real Madrid, Barcelona etc shirts to this day so my guess is that it is not enough for these people to see Cardiff in the Premier league as they support success and not the occasional visitor to the UK's top league.
    Thanks teacher. What was your point again?

  27. #27

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    You lot tend to call second generation Irish 'Plastic Paddies.'

    Jeez, he's a lucky fan. Euro semi 2016, WC semi 2018.
    Which 'lot' is that? I tend to call people by their name . Ive never heard the term 'Plastic Paddies' before.

  28. #28
    International
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Baku, Azerbaijan
    Posts
    5,219

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    That's odd, as I was reading this I found myself whistling ,'The Dambusters '
    You really are a sad bastard. You cannot think of a sensible reply so you resort to stupidity. It must be a national trait

  29. #29

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    You really are a sad bastard. You cannot think of a sensible reply so you resort to stupidity. It must be a national trait
    Wow touchy!

    Its maddening when you spend 20 minutes on a "we will fight them on the beaches" speech just so some Paddy can come along and mock you.

    Have you freed Tommy yet? ;)

  30. #30

    Re: Welsh / Anglo Welsh or British?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Which 'lot' is that? I tend to call people by their name . Ive never heard the term 'Plastic Paddies' before.
    Do you live under a rock?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •