+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: LBGT QQ E community Bullying. Disgusted

LBGT QQ E community Bullying. Disgusted

The lovely actress Scarlett Johannson has had to pull out of an acting role because of their foul disgusting bullying.
    They should hang their queer heads in shame.

Do they rule the world now?

Put their mnemonic (and spell it correctly)in any order you like. They are all the same.

Blog Entries

Re: LBGT QQ E community Bullying. Disgusted

I was outraged that she had recently had roles where she played a super hero and a Russian, she has NO superpowers and she's NOT Russian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I was outraged that she had recently had roles where she played a super hero and a Russian, she has NO superpowers and she's NOT Russian.
    She's got nice pom-poms though

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    She's got nice pom-poms though

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post

What a film that is. With the jesus and Mary Chain too. Wonderful.

International

What exactly happened?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    What exactly happened?
    She was cast in a transgender role, but, shock and horror, she is not herself transgender.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...le-rub-and-tug

International

OK Just found it. totally rediculous!!

Minority and frequently persecuted group wants opportunity to own and tell their story - is that such a bad thing?

The way they have reacted to the innocent professional may be a bad thing (certainly internet reaction needs to be stood up to at some point) but I can see me wanting the opportunity if I were in their position.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Minority and frequently persecuted group wants opportunity to own and tell their story - is that such a bad thing?

The way they have reacted to the innocent professional may be a bad thing (certainly internet reaction needs to be stood up to at some point) but I can see me wanting the opportunity if I were in their position.
    What if they thought no one out there had the talent? Should they take a transgender actor for the sake of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post
    What if they thought no one out there had the talent? Should they take a transgender actor for the sake of it?
    I must admit my comment was made after misreading a guardian article where I believed a trans actor had been quoted as saying they wouldn't mind if they had the opportunity to be in the same room for interview. It was instead about cis-roles which I understand is where you identify with the gender you are born with.

Why are there no transgender actors with enough talent? Is it because they find it harder to get experience or harder to get into acting schools? Is it more important that the story is told and in a way that will attract the most attention than having a trans-actor as lead?

Can you imagine a film about the miners striker and specifically Welsh miners or the Welsh Not but with an all English cast? It's not necessarily equal but it was what I thought about when trying to understand the reaction, even if i don't necessarily agree with how it's been expressed.

Where does it all end? Acting is an activity in which a story is told by means of its enactment by an actor or actress who adopts a character. A documentary is the medium where people can tell their own story. How about demands by mass murderers and psychopaths to play themselves? Films are fantasy adaptations by design.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I’m waiting with interest for the remake of Elephant Man

[QUOTE=xsnaggle;4900080]OK Just found it. totally rediculous!![/QUOTE

Bloody ridiculous..

Where does it all end? Acting is an activity in which a story is told by means of its enactment by an actor or actress who adopts a character. A documentary is the medium where people can tell their own story. How about demands by mass murderers and psychopaths to play themselves? Films are fantasy adaptations by design.
    To be fair, that's not specifically true, I know what you're getting at but a film doesn't necessarily have to be fictional, would you call Titanic a documentary?

From my understanding the film is based on a real person? I can see why trnsgender people would be p*ssed off with this, but saying that, if this is the "real issue" as one of the "activists" (Tweeting doesn't make you an activist) puts it "“THATS THE REAL ISSUE. WE CANT EVEN GET IN THE ROOM. Cast actors WHO ARE TRANS as NON TRANS CHARACTERS. I DARE YOU.”". Then I'm sorry but your community aren't facing real discrimination in my view

This quote from an article made me laugh: "“Oh word?? So you can continue to play us but we can’t play y’all?” Trace Lysette, a transgender actress best known for appearing on Amazon’s “Transparent,” wrote on Twitter after the casting announcement. “Hollywood is so f—ed… I wouldn’t be as upset if I was getting in the same rooms as Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett for cis roles, but we know that’s not the case. A mess.”" No, the reason you aren't in the same room as Lawrence & Johansson for ating roles has nothing to do with being transgender, they're Hollywood stars, you're best known for some Amazon TV series nobody's heard of

Sexuality and gender are both protected characteristics, being a murderer is not.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Sexuality and gender are both protected characteristics, being a murderer is not.
    Show me where anything is a protected character in the Actors Guild Manual. The whole thing is rediculous. Actors act! Movie scripts are embellished versions of reality. Films only exist to make money for their investors.

Where it all ends depends on the times and the culture - it keeps on changing.

A few hundred years ago all female parts on stage were played by boys. Two generations ago major white actors were blacking up to play black roles (1965 - Laurence Olivier as Othello for instance). In most cases in recent times when films or dramas have had trans roles the actor or actress has not been trans (can think of Eddie Redmayne in the Danish Girl 2015, Chloe Sevigny in Hit & Miss 2011) and at the same time there are now many examples of 'all female' Shakespeare plays, black actors playing roles that were obviously white given the period and place, and all sorts of transpositions that challenge stereotypes or rigid gender/other roles. Bugsy Malone!

If some groups of actors (or potential actors) are excluded from the industry or roles because of who they are, they have every right to protest about that and the domination by one segment of society - male/white/straight has been the easiest way in for most of the last century or more. It's a bit like GrangetownBlue shouting about Welsh players losing the chance to play for their country because of Ash Williams - but with more justification.

But this story doesn't appear to be about that. If the argument is that you have to have the same experiences as the character to play the role, or that there has to be some kind of trans/non-trans offsetting of opportunities (without reference to ability), then that is just daft.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

A few hundred years ago all female parts on stage were played by boys. Two generations ago major white actors were blacking up to play black roles (1965 - Laurence Olivier as Othello for instance). In most cases in recent times when films or dramas have had trans roles the actor or actress has not been trans (can think of Eddie Redmayne in the Danish Girl 2015, Chloe Sevigny in Hit & Miss 2011) and at the same time there are now many examples of 'all female' Shakespeare plays, black actors playing roles that were obviously white given the period and place, and all sorts of transpositions that challenge stereotypes or rigid gender/other roles. Bugsy Malone!

If some groups of actors (or potential actors) are excluded from the industry or roles because of who they are, they have every right to protest about that and the domination by one segment of society - male/white/straight has been the easiest way in for most of the last century or more. It's a bit like GrangetownBlue shouting about Welsh players losing the chance to play for their country because of Ash Williams - but with more justification.

But this story doesn't appear to be about that. If the argument is that you have to have the same experiences as the character to play the role, or that there has to be some kind of trans/non-trans offsetting of opportunities (without reference to ability), then that is just daft.
    Thanks for confirming that actors don't generally play themselves in works of fiction which are open to interpretation, and that they are in the business of entertaining, as opposed to being political lobbyists. I'm guessing the producers want a well-known access in the role to maximise profits, as they seek to widen the appeal of their entertainment product.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    To be fair, that's not specifically true, I know what you're getting at but a film doesn't necessarily have to be fictional, would you call Titanic a documentary?

From my understanding the film is based on a real person? I can see why trnsgender people would be p*ssed off with this, but saying that, if this is the "real issue" as one of the "activists" (Tweeting doesn't make you an activist) puts it "“THATS THE REAL ISSUE. WE CANT EVEN GET IN THE ROOM. Cast actors WHO ARE TRANS as NON TRANS CHARACTERS. I DARE YOU.”". Then I'm sorry but your community aren't facing real discrimination in my view

This quote from an article made me laugh: "“Oh word?? So you can continue to play us but we can’t play y’all?” Trace Lysette, a transgender actress best known for appearing on Amazon’s “Transparent,” wrote on Twitter after the casting announcement. “Hollywood is so f—ed… I wouldn’t be as upset if I was getting in the same rooms as Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett for cis roles, but we know that’s not the case. A mess.”" No, the reason you aren't in the same room as Lawrence & Johansson for ating roles has nothing to do with being transgender, they're Hollywood stars, you're best known for some Amazon TV series nobody's heard of
    Nail on head!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post

Agreed.

I think the outcry from the trans community is fuelled by a deep sense of dissatisfaction as being excluded from many aspects of society, not just Hollywood. But as you say,