+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Matt Phillips interest?

Matt Phillips interest?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-Phillips.html

Looks like we're going with a defence, one striker and 4 wingers per match...

Re: Matt Phillips interest?

Bugger defence let's do it ,lets break the mold.

From what I saw he was playing really well for West Brom at the back end of last season

If we were about to raid West Brom I'd rather go for Ollie Burke

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    If we were about to raid West Brom I'd rather go for Ollie Burke
    So would I. He looks a real talent and did OK in the Bundesliga the season before last.

But he signed for WBA for £15m only last summer and they will want to get most of that back if he is sold.

Despite all the claims about our budgets, it would not surprise me if we spent £15m on another player - but surely that would have to be an experienced and dominant central midfielder, or a striker with a good chance of scoring 10+ goals next season.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Despite all the claims about our budgets, it would not surprise me if we spent £15m on another player - but surely that would have to be an experienced and dominant central midfielder, or a striker with a good chance of scoring 10+ goals next season.
    This is the key point for me. I'm happy for us to spend a bit more as long as it's to strengthen in key areas of the team. With the depth we have in the position, signing another winger (such as Phillips) seems completely unnecessary at this juncture.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This is the key point for me. I'm happy for us to spend a bit more as long as it's to strengthen in key areas of the team. With the depth we have in the position, signing another winger (such as Phillips) seems completely unnecessary at this juncture.
    I tend to agree, but NW might see the Striker position as a link position with a bit of a goal threat and consider our wingers to be the most important attacking threat. When you look at where our goals came from last season then it could make sense to just use Madine and Zohore as our attacking focus but expect most of the goals from the supporting players.

To my mind this makes midfield the most important position to resolve, and after playing in the U-23's today it looks as if Tomlin isn't going to be part of the midfield solution NW intends to deploy

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Trouble we have midfielders who are decent are snapped up and expensive ,we are fishing in a big pool, wingers are rather plentiful.