+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gareth Southgate

Gareth Southgate

Talk about over the top. Southgate station in London renamed Gareth Southgate.

Jeez.

Re: Gareth Southgate

Way over the top, England were average.
    According to Alan Shearer they were 'Magnificent'
    Again, way over the top

Three teams lost 3 games at the World Cup, Egypt, Panama & England! 'nuff said!

I was thinking this earlier.

England - Played 6

Won 2
    Lost 3
    Drew 1 ( went to pelanties )

in the premier league they would have had 7 points out of a possible 18 - or an average of 44 points - would have made them mid-table.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Talk about over the top. Southgate station in London renamed Gareth Southgate.

Jeez.
    Only for forty right hours. Euro 2016 and the period after it was a great time to be Welsh, so I don't begrudge English people celebrating their run to the Semi Final, let them enjoy it - what gets me annoyed is the assumption by some that everyone else in the UK should be celebrating as well.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Only for forty right hours. Euro 2016 and the period after it was a great time to be Welsh, so I don't begrudge English people celebrating their run to the Semi Final, let them enjoy it - what gets me annoyed is the assumption by some that everyone else in the UK should be celebrating as well.

Yes I know, celebrate if they want. But to rename a railway station, even for 48 hours is a bit ott.
    Piers Morgan would have had a field day if Cardiff Central was renamed Cardiff Chris Coleman.

Now that was brilliant.

I was stopped and searched in Southgate in the 90s...dreadlocks, buit no waistcoat....fascists..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Way over the top, England were average.
    According to Alan Shearer they were 'Magnificent'
    Again, way over the top
    I think it's pleasing because they know their level now. I think the wider public have more knowledge of other European players, so they don't assume that England have one of the top 2 squads and should be getting to the final every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think it's pleasing because they know their level now. I think the wider public have more knowledge of other European players, so they don't assume that England have one of the top 2 squads and should be getting to the final every year.
    Only two of the starting 11 against Croatia didn't have experience of Champions League football and the vast majority on the bench did also. England has a deep squad of champions league footballers whereas many other countries are lucky to have a starting 11 of the same experience. England had a great chance of getting to the semi-finals with or without their easier run-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    I was thinking this earlier.

England - Played 6

Won 2
    Lost 3
    Drew 1 ( went to pelanties )

in the premier league they would have had 7 points out of a possible 18 - or an average of 44 points - would have made them mid-table.
    This occurred to me on Saturday after they'd lost for the third time, that surely they now need a reality check - but no still banging on about how good they were, and 2022 was their real goal. Fair point but also interesting that the commentators yesterday said the eventual winners of the tournament actually have a lower average age than England as it is.

By the way they did win 3 not 2 games.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Only two of the starting 11 against Croatia didn't have experience of Champions League football and the vast majority on the bench did also. England has a deep squad of champions league footballers whereas many other countries are lucky to have a starting 11 of the same experience. England had a great chance of getting to the semi-finals with or without their easier run-in.
    They have a good squad for sure, but they lack any real star quality.

Would any of them be the main man at a top European side?
    Harry Kane is probably closest, but Christian Erikson is the man at Spurs

Every team England faced (with the exception of Belgium) had longer odds to win the tournament and were ranked lower in the FIFA rankings. I've noticed how the media seems to think they have already qualified for EURO 2020 and the World Cup in Qatar.

I love the wishful thinking, but a lot of them expected Croatia to be an easy victory

Apparently England haven't beaten a team in the top 10 of the FIFA rankings since 2002

They beat who they should beat, they fail against anyone half decent

?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Apparently England haven't beaten a team in the top 10 of the FIFA rankings since 2002

They beat who they should beat, they fail against anyone half decent
    In a competitive game

Its a bit of lighthearted fun for the next 2 days, that is all

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I love the wishful thinking, but a lot of them expected Croatia to be an easy victory
    I don't think so at all, not the ones I spoke to.
    A few years ago losing to Croatia would have been a disaster, these days they understand a bit more

I don't think so at all, not the ones I spoke to.
    A few years ago losing to Croatia would have been a disaster, these days they understand a bit more
    ITV's news report following the loss said that "Croatia aren't a great side", a lot of their pundits thought they'd win fairly easily including Ferdinand who said it would be "straightforward".

I saw a lot of hubris at the World Cup when they only actually beat 3 sides despite not playing that well, scraping past one of those in Tunisia. They lack a proper playmaker in that side, I wonder what they'd give for Aaron Ramsey to be in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Three teams lost 3 games at the World Cup, Egypt, Panama & England! 'nuff said!
    Do you read the Guardian?