+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is this an excellent article or............................................

Is this an excellent article or............................................

do I think it's excellent because I agree with virtually every word of it - 2018 was a very good World Cup, but football may end up as a more boring game because of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...taka-world-cup

Valdano has to be the best writer ever to have scored in a World Cup Final!

Re: Is this an excellent article or............................................

Great point about VAR. Teams will make their fouls away from the VAR zone, which means more halfway line cynical pullbacks to stop attacks getting started.

The more you read, the more the Neil Warnock way is becoming recognised, the quote below was written about City tactics on numerous occassions last season:

"an understanding of what it is you are trying to achieve – and it requires the ball to circulate quickly, in order to be able to reach the final 30 metres of the pitch with some advantage. From there, to unbalance and overcome the opposition, you need the same tools as ever: dribbling, a one-two, imagination, precision to deliver a pass inside and aggression in all its manifestations – speed, ambition, determination"

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    The more you read, the more the Neil Warnock way is becoming recognised, the quote below was written about City tactics on numerous occassions last season:

"an understanding of what it is you are trying to achieve – and it requires the ball to circulate quickly, in order to be able to reach the final 30 metres of the pitch with some advantage. From there, to unbalance and overcome the opposition, you need the same tools as ever: dribbling, a one-two, imagination, precision to deliver a pass inside and aggression in all its manifestations – speed, ambition, determination"
    Neil Warnock is a visionary

It is a very nicely written article, I'm not sure I agree that Germany ever played tiki-taka though. Yes they ended up with a large amount of ineffectual possession at times this tournament, but I don't think that was a tactical choice, more that their one paced attack were completely unable to penetrate any of the defences they faced. Certainly when they won the tournament they could be pretty direct and physical.

Looks like the world cup has come in the Nick if time for City.

Perhaps the experts will be applauding Warnock's style and vision after reading articles such as this one and ditching the "Swansea are great to watch" approach?

Somehow I doubt it!

Funny, I've been watching World Cups since 1966, I've never been so bored this tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    do I think it's excellent because I agree with virtually every word of it - 2018 was a very good World Cup, but football may end up as a more boring game because of it.

For me, this is the key point.

“They were more concerned with not losing the ball – playing tedious passes to feet in an attempt to avoid their opponents’ counterattacks – than with making their moves dangerous, accepting and embracing risk, giving their moves the daring football has always had”

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    For me, this is the key point.

“They were more concerned with not losing the ball – playing tedious passes to feet in an attempt to avoid their opponents’ counterattacks – than with making their moves dangerous, accepting and embracing risk, giving their moves the daring football has always had”
    Precisely, Spain went from being a side which was like a breath of fresh air in 2008 to a team which, after being part of, possibly, the game of the tournament against Portugal, stank the place out against Russia in 2018.

I agree with Rjk about Germany not playing tiki taka.

Can't agree with Alan Cornell though, I've also seen every tournament since 1966 and, after an entertaining, goal filled, Final, I've promoted 2018 to second only to 1970 in the enjoyment stakes.

Neil Warnock would love this line Bob...."In Russia that virtue became a vice and tiki-taka became a caricature of itself. The objective became to pass the ball, ignoring the existence of the goalposts. Like a writer with a perfect command of language who forgets what it is he wants to say"

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Funny, I've been watching World Cups since 1966, I've never been so bored this tournament.
    That is weird. Maybe it was the build up orbthe VAR or the coverage itself....or maybe even just personal reasons. I think a lot of the football was pretty good, or at least a lot of the play produced chances and goals. A lot of players to potentially get excited about too.

I felt the group games were good fun. Some of the knock-out round games were unspectacular, especially on the one side of the draw, but even then there was a fair bit of ‘drama’.

The most high scoring final for years.

Maybe you prefer tactical battles that don’t necessarily yield a lot of goals. It did feel a bit like basketball at times.

second only to 1970 in the enjoyment stakes.
    Jairzinnnhoooooooooooooo ...... still gives me goose bumps.

Precisely, Spain went from being a side which was like a breath of fresh air in 2008 to a team which, after being part of, possibly, the game of the tournament against Portugal, stank the place out against Russia in 2018.

I agree with Rjk about Germany not playing tiki taka.

Can't agree with Alan Cornell though, I've also seen every tournament since 1966 and, after an entertaining, goal filled, Final, I've promoted 2018 to second only to 1970 in the enjoyment stakes.
    I've not been a fan of International football for some time as it never lived up to Italia 70 , the Euros with Wales was nice, however this World cup did generate some interest for me ,therefore I would agree its a close second to Italia 70 ,the only downside was the South American divers and cynicism

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I've not been a fan of International football for some time as it never lived up to Italia 70 , the Euros with Wales was nice, however this World cup did generate some interest for me ,therefore I would agree its a close second to Italia 70 ,the only downside was the South American divers and cynicism
    The Europeans did this too

Even "honest Englishman" Harry Kane who was one of the worst for going down under minimal contact to buy free kicks in my opinion, makes sense seeing as that was all England had

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Was that the Italia 70 that was played in Mexico? 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Neil Warnock is a visionary
    He's one to watch for the future