+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Right-back needed

Right-back needed

Bit concerned reading bits and bobs that we are in for two more players - a striker and a midfielder.

I personally thought right back was one of the positions we needed to strengthen the most. Manga isn't a right back, Peltier is probably the best out of the 3 of them defensively but not PL standard and you need a bit more going forward at that level, Jazz Richards not good enough and injuries meant he played 6 championship games last season. The signings so far had been decent but if we end up with just two more players - one of which is Grujic - it'd be a bit underwhelming as that defence will get ripped apart.

I also think we need a CB. Talk of Chester to Stoke for 5m due to Villa's financial problems, I'm not a huge fan of us being linked with every Welsh player going but he's PL quality and we should definitely be in for him if that fee is true.

Re: Right-back needed

The way we’ll play next season I think Peltier is more than capable of doing the job. I reckon we’re fine at centre half too. Morrison, Bamba, Manga, Connolly plus Cunningham can fill in there too according to NW. For me a central creative midfielder is the priority.

Jazz Richards and Pelts will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Bit concerned reading bits and bobs that we are in for two more players - a striker and a midfielder.

I personally thought right back was one of the positions we needed to strengthen the most. Manga isn't a right back, Peltier is probably the best out of the 3 of them defensively but not PL standard and you need a bit more going forward at that level, Jazz Richards not good enough and injuries meant he played 6 championship games last season. The signings so far had been decent but if we end up with just two more players - one of which is Grujic - it'd be a bit underwhelming as that defence will get ripped apart.

I also think we need a CB. Talk of Chester to Stoke for 5m due to Villa's financial problems, I'm not a huge fan of us being linked with every Welsh player going but he's PL quality and we should definitely be in for him if that fee is true.
    If our defence isn't good enough, we've got real problems. Chester is also on 40/50k a week. We can't afford that, or nor should we. I'd like a right back but I'd rather we got a striker and a centre mid in, if that's how far the budget will stretch. Currently, if Zohore or Ralls got injured we may as well pack up and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If our defence isn't good enough, we've got real problems. Chester is also on 40/50k a week. We can't afford that, or nor should we. I'd like a right back but I'd rather we got a striker and a centre mid in, if that's how far the budget will stretch. Currently, if Zohore or Ralls got injured we may as well pack up and go home.
    Good point on the wages of Chester. Completely out of our reach. Plus if we sign another CB it pushes the others down the pecking order. Not good for moral.

If Zohore gets injured I’m sure Madine will be there to step in. I know people don’t rate him but in many ways he’s a better player than Zohore.

I’d like us to get a right back in , Richards seems to injury prone for my liking.

Fair comment on Chester, I'd have liked us to push the boat out a bit on him as the money we'd save on a transfer fee could be put towards his wages but it is probably a step too far for us atm.

I definitely think we need a RB though, Manga, Peltier and Richards all work their bollocks off and I've nothing against them but they'll get found out within a couple of games I think.

I am not sure if we need a right back why we are talking about Chester. Playing Manga at right back isn't the solution and neither would Chester.

Sjoke are trying to buy Chester (in the Villa car boot sale). They have to raise £40M between Grealish (£18M), Chester (£10M) & Kodjia (£12M)!

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    I am not sure if we need a right back why we are talking about Chester. Playing Manga at right back isn't the solution and neither would Chester.
    I agree, went off on a tangent about him as think he'd be a good signing at CB

I like Peltier. He's a real competitor and works his socks off, a typical Warnock defender. He's an unsung hero who is missed when he's not playing. I think he is good enough in a back four, although not as a wing-back if we played a back five.

We use our full backs to tuck in to deny the midfield space, we don't really use them as an attacking outlet all that much, and I can't imagine it being any more in the premier league. As such perhaps an upgrade on Peltier isn't as much of a priority as I originally thought.

Should have gone for Liverpool's Flanagan on a free when he was available.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Should have gone for Liverpool's Flanagan on a free when he was available.
    NW wouldn't have signed him after his personal problems.

Quote Originally Posted by NottinghamBlue View Post
    NW wouldn't have signed him after his personal problems.
    "Personal problems" is one way of putting it.

Flanagan’s a left back took Declan John’s place in Europa Cup game? Warnock said that he’s happy with his RB options,
    Peltier,Richards.Manga and Connelly! and Cunningham can also cover his 4 centre backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    Flanagan’s a left back took Declan John’s place in Europa Cup game? Warnock said that he’s happy with his RB options,
    Peltier,Richards.Manga and Connelly! and Cunningham can also cover his 4 centre backs.
    He's a right back that can play left back. It's just that Declan John isn't very good either.

I'm happy with Pelts and Richards as RB's but Manga there is a real liability.

Let’s hope Richards can stay fit. Or maybe Paterson has had intensive training at right back ?

Bamba is ageing, Manga hasn't signed a new contract yet and Connolly has majority of career at championship level - this is a perfect chance to find a CB to play next to Morrison long term.

Having such an apparent weakness at RB when defence is our strongest area is a concern. Can Richards be good enough? Can Patterson defend better than credited for?

A CM and striker needed for reasons already stated.

4 players in and several going out ideally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Good point on the wages of Chester. Completely out of our reach. Plus if we sign another CB it pushes the others down the pecking order. Not good for moral.

If Zohore gets injured I’m sure Madine will be there to step in. I know people don’t rate him but in many ways he’s a better player than Zohore.

I’d like us to get a right back in , Richards seems to injury prone for my liking.
    We must consider the possibility we may go down, we don't want to go down with heavy wages ,those bids will be for year two if we stay up .

I'd let Madine start the first away game,to see how fit and sharp he is

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's a right back that can play left back. It's just that Declan John isn't very good either.
    The last Rangers Manager thought Declan John was superb last season and Giggs was impressed when he selected him for Wales. Has played Premiership football in England and Scotland, and International football, so that’s pretty good. However Rangers new manager will probably look after his fellow Liverpool bad boy?

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post

The only thing about Jazz Richards that concerns me is his injury record,I thought he looked really accomplished in the games he played and at Premier league level I think he’s got the ability to stand out,I just think the fact he’s an ex Jack is always going to cloud some people’s opinion of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto13 View Post
    The last Rangers Manager thought Declan John was superb last season and Giggs was impressed when he selected him for Wales. Has played Premiership football in England and Scotland, and International football, so that’s pretty good. However Rangers new manager will probably look after his fellow Liverpool bad boy?
    The last Rangers manager . Pedro Caixinha rating him is all he needs.

Personally I think peltier’s limitiations will be exposed at the top level,he’ll be ok for a couple of games

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Personally I think peltier’s limitiations will be exposed at the top level,he’ll be ok for a couple of games
    Me too. I believe Danny Simpson is available. A sort of refined Peltier with lots of top-flight experience.