I'm a Cornishman born and raised there until I was 10.

The Cornish certainly see themselves as Cornish first, but many do see themselves as English second. I moved to Cardiff at a young age so I saw the contradiction in this quickly, but there has been a huge influx of people from up country into Cornwall, and with the price of property and lack of work there is a back door ethnic cleansing going on. If the local population in Cornwall isn't protected then it will end up where more people in Cornwall won't be Cornish than are.

I have a right under European law to call myself Cornish, although whenever I do this, even here in Wales it gets laughed at, and i get told 'so you're English'.

In a lot of ways the Cornish bring it on themselves though, it's one of the poorest areas within the UK but continues to return conservative MPs and although the EU is what is protecting the Cornish identity and Cornwall also gets far more money from the EU than it contributes (the UK government having backed out of is promise to spend money on protecting the Cornish language), they still voted to leave the EU.... Turkey's voting for Christmas comes to mind.