+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Do some Cornish people have a closer affinity with Wales than England?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Do some Cornish people have a closer affinity with Wales than England?

Being born and brought up in Wales, but with Cornish mother I would say they are Cornish first. I am told by my family that they are Cornish not English. But have no real affinity to the Welsh, and would support England every time. However they are aware of their Celtic roots and language. I do feel very much at home down there and I consider it do be different from the rest of England.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Being born and brought up in Wales, but with Cornish mother I would say they are Cornish first. I am told by my family that they are Cornish not English. But have no real affinity to the Welsh, and would support England every time. However they are aware of their Celtic roots and language. I do feel very much at home down there and I consider it do be different from the rest of England.
    My sentiments exactly. I feel 'at home' when visiting Falmouth & St Austell where one half of my relatives lived.

My OP was not meant to be another comment in England v Wales banter.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I feel 'at home' when visiting Falmouth & St Austell where one half of my relatives lived.

My OP was not meant to be another comment in England v Wales banter.
    Despite being a Cardiffian I have lived in a number of counties in the south west and feel at home here - and I even felt at home living in Germany and Scotland. My siblings have also lived abroad and have felt at home in Yorkshire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Devon, The Netherlands and Germany. There are beautiful places and people all around the UK and people's DNA is not drastically different on either side of a line drawn on a map at a particular juncture in history. It's also about what one brings to the party, as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Despite being a Cardiffian I have lived in a number of counties in the south west and feel at home here - and I even felt at home living in Germany and Scotland. My siblings have also lived abroad and have felt at home in Yorkshire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Devon, The Netherlands and Germany. There are beautiful places and people all around the UK and people's DNA is not drastically different on either side of a line drawn on a map at a particular juncture in history. It's also about what one brings to the party, as it were.
    Cwrw Ysgawen - Purple Moose Brewery, Porthmadog.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I'm in agreement with the Taunting Blue Genie.