+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toshack. Those were the days

Toshack. Those were the days

Re: Toshack. Those were the days

King’s wonder volley
    https://youtu.be/0iYYu3M4Itg

Toshack, my first City Hero, as a young boy. Still one of my favourite City players of all time. 50 years on!

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Where have all those years gone
    Where has Toshacks waistline gone

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    What was Don Murray doing, playing as an overlapping full back, for the brilliant cross, on the second goal.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Where have all those years gone
    Where has Toshacks waistline gone
    Don't you mean "come from"

tosh..my boyhoid hero..with barry john..met barry but never met tosh..have to book a plane to iran!

Quote Originally Posted by kendoddsdadsdogsdead View Post
    tosh..my boyhoid hero..with barry john..met barry but never met tosh..have to book a plane to iran!
    Met Tosh at an FA Cup draw once, when he was making the draw. He wasn't really interested in discussing CCFC at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    What was Don Murray doing, playing as an overlapping full back, for the brilliant cross, on the second goal.

Don't you mean "come from"

Where did the old one go
    And the new enhanced version come from

Tosh went to Canton High School where at the time the school didn’t play soccer only rugby
    Killer Evans was the PE master. Cnut

I believe that was the last game (or one of them) Toshack played for Cardiff. That day Toshack played wearing the number 8 shirt when he usually wore the number 10 shirt. I was at that game and missed the fact Don Murray crossed the ball for Toshack's goal which is surprising given that Murray rarely, if ever, ventured from the centre of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I believe that was the last game (or one of them) Toshack played for Cardiff. That day Toshack played wearing the number 8 shirt when he usually wore the number 10 shirt. I was at that game and missed the fact Don Murray crossed the ball for Toshack's goal which is surprising given that Murray rarely, if ever, ventured from the centre of the park.
    His last game was at QPR a week later were we won to go top of the league

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Met Tosh at an FA Cup draw once, when he was making the draw. He wasn't really interested in discussing CCFC at the time.
    When Liverpool told him he could go, he actually spoke to City about a coaching job. However, he allegedly didn't have a very warm reception because Manager Jimmy Andrews saw him as a threat. He was probably right but he then went to Swansea and transformed them.
    What might have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    When Liverpool told him he could go, he actually spoke to City about a coaching job. However, he allegedly didn't have a very warm reception because Manager Jimmy Andrews saw him as a threat. He was probably right but he then went to Swansea and transformed them.
    What might have been.
    I believe Tosh would have been very happy to return but as you suggested some within the club were not keen.

Also worth recalling that whilst there has always been a fans rivalry with the Swans we had had many players who had started there careers at Swansea or were from that area and vice versa. His going west was a much easier decision to make then that it would probably be now.

Tosh, Leggy, Earnie. Oh yes!

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    God its hard to imagjne i was bouncing around in that crowd ,such excitement for a youngster back then ,wonderful times .

Tear in my eye now, lost my dad that year ,tough at 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    His last game was at QPR a week later were we won to go top of the league
    Thanks for that. It was his last home game. That was a really good team and looking back at the footage confirms that.

The old ‘proper’ Grangetown End was something else (not like that latter day concrete terrace affair). Frightening place to be late 60s/early 70s, some right nutters inhabiting the place. Frightening in a great way, wouldn’t have missed bouncing up & down on the wooden terracing for the world. Certainly don’t want to glorify or revel in terrace shenanigans but the taking & repelling the taking of ‘ends’ was a rite of passage every football fan of a certain age encountered I would imagine. Talk about battling for the pride of your ‘End’ Jeez, looking back it was open house for loonies. As I said though, wouldn’t have missed it for the world, Anyone up for getting on Bournemouth’s End two hours before kick off ????😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The old ‘proper’ Grangetown End was something else (not like that latter day concrete terrace affair). Frightening place to be late 60s/early 70s, some right nutters inhabiting the place. Frightening in a great way, wouldn’t have missed bouncing up & down on the wooden terracing for the world. Certainly don’t want to glorify or revel in terrace shenanigans but the taking & repelling the taking of ‘ends’ was a rite of passage every football fan of a certain age encountered I would imagine. Talk about battling for the pride of your ‘End’ Jeez, looking back it was open house for loonies. As I said though, wouldn’t have missed it for the world, Anyone up for getting on Bournemouth’s End two hours before kick off ????😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    It was indeed a very strange time as a youngster I don't think I worked it out ,all that running from one end to another , pownding r down streets , chanting love songs at coppers in black hats , jumping off coaches before being ambushed by the home fans , coppers on horse back chasing fans , yes catching that ride down the grangend stand ,oh yes, some even set fire to it for a laugh ,whilst singing "Ninian Park is burning down " ,strange and somewhat bewildering times, when matched by today's controlled environment.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It was indeed a very strange time as a youngster I don't think I worked it out ,all that running from one end to another , pownding r down streets , chanting love songs at coppers in black hats , jumping off coaches before being ambushed by the home fans , coppers on horse back chasing fans , yes catching that ride down the grangend stand ,oh yes, some even set fire to it for a laugh ,whilst singing "Ninian Park is burning down " ,strange and somewhat bewildering times, when matched by today's controlled environment.
    It was crackers, wasn’t it, looking back. It was though the law of the land were caught completely off guard. Fans running here, there & everywhere, not being stopped entering any part of the ground. You paid your few bob at any turnstile and walked in. Even on the way & back from the match was an adventure both home & away, the chase to the station was a weekly event. Tudor Rd & Ninian Park Rd akin to an Olympic sprint for away fans some weeks. How did we survive eh? 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    It was crackers, wasn’t it, looking back. It was though the law of the land were caught completely off guard. Fans running here, there & everywhere, not being stopped entering any part of the ground. You paid your few bob at any turnstile and walked in. Even on the way & back from the match was an adventure both home & away, the chase to the station was a weekly event. Tudor Rd & Ninian Park Rd akin to an Olympic sprint for away fans some weeks. How did we survive eh? ������
    1 - 2 -345,

If you want to stay alive

KEEP OFF THE GRANGE-END

Who remembers Tosh's hat-trick in the 3-0 victory against Scotland at Ninian Park in 1979?
    I remember Terry Yorath dribbling with the ball, stopping it, cockily sitting on it for a short and then setting off again.

I wonder what Alan Hansen the pundit would have made of Alan Hansen the player's "tackle" in the lead up to the first goal? I would have paced that game as about 1976, but the Grange End was full of Scotland fans and it was the "new" open air version of that part of the ground and the away fans were always put on there in it's early days.

Another Toshack goal against Scotland here and Brian Flynn scoring one of the best goals I've seen Wales score to put us 2-0 up, but then Dai the Drop started performing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcG8tc_Ai_Q

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I wonder what Alan Hansen the pundit would have made of Alan Hansen the player's "tackle" in the lead up to the first goal? I would have paced that game as about 1976, but the Grange End was full of Scotland fans and it was the "new" open air version of that part of the ground and the away fans were always put on there in it's early days.

Another Toshack goal against Scotland here and Brian Flynn scoring one of the best goals I've seen Wales score to put us 2-0 up, but then Dai the Drop started performing!

Some great clips. Toshack was on fire in that Hull game

One of Wales best

This is a game that I remember well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uDOiE8HsTPQ

Not because I was there but in the then little known, undeveloped Corfu resort of Benitses. We had an apartment. No TV, phone or radio. I walked to a nearby taverna to see if I could get the result off their TV. I was amazed and delighted to hear that we had stuffed England 4-1.