+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I'm going to break the habits of a lifetime and.......................................

I'm going to break the habits of a lifetime and.......................................

buy something with the Sun's name on it - the rag has taken over sponsorship of what I'll always call the Rothman's Football Yearbook;-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Ye...book+2018-2019

Re: I'm going to break the habits of a lifetime and.......................................

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    buy something with the Sun's name on it - the rag has taken over sponsorship of what I'll always call the Rothman's Football Yearbook;-

What's on page three ?

Re: I'm going to break the habits of a lifetime and.......................................

I know Sky Sports had announced they had dropped the annual earlier this year. But I was unaware The Sun had taken over. A bit of a dilemma for me, I buy it every year but never read it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    I know Sky Sports had announced they had dropped the annual earlier this year. But I was unaware The Sun had taken over. A bit of a dilemma for me, I buy it every year but never read it these days.
    I'm the same and I don't read anywhere near as much of Wisden every year as I used to.

I never thought I'd see the day when you turned into a supporter of bigoted fascists Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    I never thought I'd see the day when you turned into a supporter of bigoted fascists Bob
    When did Bob start supporting Swansea?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    When did Bob start supporting Swansea?
    I can drive to the Liberty quire a bit quicker than I can to Cardiff City Stadium these days, so they are my local team

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Don't the Sun and Sky Sports have the same owner?

I can drive to the Liberty quire a bit quicker than I can to Cardiff City Stadium these days, so they are my local team
    It’s the Liberty mire Paul🤭

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Don't the Sun and Sky Sports have the same owner?
    More or less, yeah

Aren't the Wisden and Rothman's kind of obsolete now? Or do you collect them?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Aren't the Wisden and Rothman's kind of obsolete now? Or do you collect them?
    I've bought every Rothman's since it was first published in 1970 (one's been lost and others have fallen to pieces though, so my collection is worth about a quid!) and every Wisden since 1973, so yes I'm a collector, but I'm not sure about them being obsolete.

The Sun took over sponsorship of Rothmans in May and portrayed it as if they had rescued it, so maybe that could be in some trouble, but Wisden is still going very strong as far as I'm aware. I've seen surveys saying that under 20s rate cricket as one of the most boring sports around, so there may be problems ahead for Wisden, but I'd say they're fine for a few decades yet until the current readership has died out.

I've bought every Rothman's since it was first published in 1970 (one's been lost and others have fallen to pieces though, so my collection is worth about a quid!) and every Wisden since 1973, so yes I'm a collector, but I'm not sure about them being obsolete.

The Sun took over sponsorship of Rothmans in May and portrayed it as if they had rescued it, so maybe that could be in some trouble, but Wisden is still going very strong as far as I'm aware. I've seen surveys saying that under 20s rate cricket as one of the most boring sports around, so there may be problems ahead for Wisden, but I'd say they're fine for a few decades yet until the current readership has died out.
    I remember having two of those books in the 1980s. Unbelievable stats in there!

I still remember Arbroath bearing Bon Accord 36-0 😃

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post

J. Petrie 13👍

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post

Not often a french team visits Scotland 🤣

Good news - I am glad the book is surviving. I have copies going back to '87, and I bought a few on e-bay from the 70s. I barely read them these days but collect them all the same.