+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Geraint Thomas

Re: Geraint Thomas

Been following his progress across the Tour and it's brilliant to see him achieve this as I always thought there was a disaster waiting for him. I only believed it when he crossed the line in Paris...

Chapeau Geraint!

They’re saying its the greatest Welsh sporting achievement of all time. Does anyone agree with that?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    They’re saying its the greatest Welsh sporting achievement of all time. Does anyone agree with that?
    It's got to be right up there. I'm struggling to think of anything that I believe eclipses it in Sport as this outweighs even the Olympics for Cycling.

Gareth Bale winning the Champions League with stunning goals a couple of times has to run it close

By a country mile nobody kicking a bag of wind around or carrying an egg hasn’t come close to his achievement over the last THREE WEEKS CYCLING

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    It's got to be right up there. I'm struggling to think of anything that I believe eclipses it in Sport as this outweighs even the Olympics for Cycling.

Gareth Bale winning the Champions League with stunning goals a couple of times has to run it close
    I'd say Calzaghe is up there also, and of course Ryan Giggs

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    By a country mile nobody kicking a bag of wind around or carrying an egg hasn’t come close to his achievement over the last THREE WEEKS CYCLING
    I disagree slightly as you have to put it into the context of the competition he had to overcome. Arguably Bale had to overcome far more competition to get where he has done than Geraint has.

In terms of physical exertion then you are arguably comparing a 50 game season for someone like Bale i.e. running over 500 km a season, to over 3,000 km for Geraint in this race to win one of the greatest prizes their sport has to offer. I'd argue each carries their own risk of serious injury. At least in cycling you don't often have other cyclists deliberately trying to injure you.

I did think of Calzaghe. I see it as being number one in your sport. Bale has never won the Ballon D’or, but if champions league is the biggest prize in football, then Bale has made significant contributions in Real winning it so often.

But cycling for three weeks through mountains, is pretty amazing.

Richard "Richie" Burnett will always be my prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I disagree slightly as you have to put it into the context of the competition he had to overcome. Arguably Bale had to overcome far more competition to get where he has done than Geraint has.

In terms of physical exertion then you are arguably comparing a 50 game season for someone like Bale i.e. running over 500 km a season, to over 3,000 km for Geraint in this race to win one of the greatest prizes their sport has to offer. I'd argue each carries their own risk of serious injury. At least in cycling you don't often have other cyclists deliberately trying to injure you.

Apart from Geraints teammate Gianni Moscon who got thrown out of the tour for punching another cyclist.

A great performance by the British cyclist.

I didn't when I read what you said, but then, after half an hour or so of trying to come up with a better one, I'm thinking it is. I wouldn't say Geraint Thomas is the greatest Welsh sportsman/woman of all time though - suppose that would be Paulo Radmilovic (I had to look him up as well!).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Yes, he is British
    I wonder if he'll get the same honours that the ingurlish winners did.

Likeable chap.

Been watching his interviews and he seems a cross between Gareth Bale and Noel Gallagher, not that I am that fussed on NG. Seems down to earth, doesn't take himself too seriously.

Undoubted huge talent, good luck to him.
    Doubt he will get the accolades others have received before him in terms of honours but doubt he'll care.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    [/B]

Apart from Geraints teammate Gianni Moscon who got thrown out of the tour for punching another cyclist.
    Hence the use of the word 'often'

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I didn't when I read what you said, but then, after half an hour or so of trying to come up with a better one, I'm thinking it is. I wouldn't say Geraint Thomas is the greatest Welsh sportsman/woman of all time though - suppose that would be Paulo Radmilovic (I had to look him up as well!).
    The Daily Mail (an otherwise dreadful rag) have put together a list of great Welsh sportspeople. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...moreTopStories

I could never follow cycling as a sport, riddled with drugs/cheating etc. Until a Welshman won it.

Like most of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The Daily Mail (an otherwise dreadful rag) have put together a list of great Welsh sportspeople. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...moreTopStories
    Thanks for posting that. Lynn Davies' long jump gold in Tokyo in 1964 was the one which I thought came closest to taking the no. 1 position off Thomas - it certainly was one of the biggest factors in turning an eight year old watching his first Olympics into the sports fanatic he became.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks for posting that. Lynn Davies' long jump gold in Tokyo in 1964 was the one which I thought came closest to taking the no. 1 position off Thomas - it certainly was one of the biggest factors in turning an eight year old watching his first Olympics into the sports fanatic he became.
    Paolo Radmilovic, surely the greatest of them all and virtually unknown. Did anybody here previously know of his records? I certainly didn’t.

Just got back. A great occasion and a great atmosphere as well a fantastic achievement by our local lad.

Woosie was at the top of his game for years, won the PGA masters

though in sense of Achievement and the TDF is the pinnacle of cycling, I guess G must be at the top ( though the TDF is a team game as we have seen with Team Sky pushing Wiggo to the title )

Geraint’s homecoming next week 9th August venue tbc

Will he suddenly become a CCFC fan like Kinnock did when City got to the Premiership last time?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Geraint’s homecoming next week 9th August venue tbc
    Emirates Stadium I would imagine

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Emirates Stadium I would imagine
    Proud to be Welsh see butt.