+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bellamy’s role at Cardiff

Bellamy’s role at Cardiff

Just curious and I’m sure the fountain of knowledge here will help.

What exactly is his role?
    Is he on the touch lines with the U23? Or more of a behind the scenes of the whole academy?

Re: Bellamy’s role at Cardiff

I thought he had the u18’s

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I thought he had the u18’s
    That's what the BBC heard before hiring a helicopter to fly over Cliff Richards house.

Academy Manager - James McCarthy

James McCarthy has held the post of Academy Manager at Cardiff City FC since the summer of 2014, having been involved with the Bluebirds for almost two decades.

Senior Academy personnel include:

Head of Coaching - Tom Ramasut
    Academy Operations Manager - Gavin Reen
    Player Development Manager - Craig Bellamy
    Education Manager - Steve Ellis
    Under 23s Coach - Jarred Harvey
    Under 23s Coach - Andy Legg
    Under 18s Coach - Matthew Bloxham
    Lead Development Coach (12-16) - Dane Facey
    Lead Foundation Coach (9-11) - Lawrence Hallett

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/team...staff/academy/

A lot of press reports imply that Craig Bellamy is in charge of the Academy, rather than a member of the management team for the Academy - with player development (all age groups) and u18 responsibilities.

As I understand it, Matthew Bloxham has the main responsibility for the u18s, but Craig works with them too. That might explain why Craig isn't around some of the time on u18 match clips - especially away games.

I didn't know Andy Legg is working at CCFC. That's good to see, he's one of my favourite City players

I wonder if the likes of Bloxham are bothered by the headlines Craig grabs due to his fame ??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I wonder if the likes of Bloxham are bothered by the headlines Craig grabs due to his fame ??
    What headlines does he grab? Certainly nothing sensational from what I see.

He does have a media profile but I see that as being a really good thing for the academy. The WoL article/interview that was posted on here recently suggested that U18’s was where his focus was.

I hope his role grows and grows - I’d love to see Warnock’s eventual replacement come from within

It would be interesting to see Craig Bellamy's job description.

I said above that some media tend to overstate his role in the club, but that shouldn't mean that what he does is underplayed either.

Even the club TV refer to 'Craig Bellamy's under 18s' at times - so it is clear that he has an important role with them (as well as an overarching responsibility for development across all age groups), but it also seems clear that Matthew Bloxham is the lead coach.

My impression is that Craig has a flexible role and the club is very happy to use his experience and insight anywhere it can (including with the first team at times) and to encourage his media profile. From previous interviews I got the impression that Vincent Tan wanted to find a place for Craig in the club and was open to the idea that he might one day become manager.