+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Squad depth

Squad depth

I've seen several versions of this for other clubs over the last few weeks on twitter, so I thought I'd have a go at doing one for Cardiff.

Depth.jpg

What do you think?

The greyed out players are ones who are probably leaving
    The youth section is meant to be youngsters who could potentially get some game time in the coming season. I don't have a clue if we have anyone in that category or not.

Re: Squad depth

Highlights how desperately we need another attacking midfielder.

Do we still have to name a 25 man squad that we'll use until the next window opens?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Do we still have to name a 25 man squad that we'll use until the next window opens?
    Yes - and under 23's can also be added to that squad too

That's a chart and a half , well Impressed.

I do look at it and wonder is it good enough to avoid big defeats.

Nice chart, simple but effective.
    It does highlight the lack of a quality playmaker although Ken could play just behind the CF.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Could Hoilett play there, or even Murphy or Mendez-Laing?

We need a ball playing midfielder there’s no one who can actually pass in that side

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Could Hoilett play there, or even Murphy or Mendez-Laing?
    The first two could, Hoilett has played there in the past and I'm sure I've heard Neil Warnock say that he's thinking in terms of using Murphy there on occasions.

If our manager is being truthful about just two more coming in (I'm not sure he is!), then I don't think we are going to see that midfield play maker so many seem to think we need arriving - historically, he's never struck me as a fan of that sort of player. The midfield worries me because I share the concerns that our passing is not good enough, but I'm not sure the man who makes the decisions is over bothered about such things - Grujic would improve the passing ability of the squad, but we struggled in that department with him here in a lower division, so it's hard to see how we wouldn't do so this time around.

I'd say 4 players in required before our squad is competitive. A lot of luck with fitness, a bit of Warnock magic and a good home advantage needed.

That doesn't look very good if weMre honest need 3-4 players in, a RB, a CM, an AM, a CF. I hope he's not being genuine when he says 2 in.

Who will be the three to miss out providing we don't buy any more players?

You've also missed Healey off the list. He's featured more than Bogle in pre-season.

It's a shame none of our squad will qualify under the under 21 rule.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    We need a ball playing midfielder there’s no one who can actually pass in that side
    A bit unfair on Ralls but I agree with a bit of what you're saying.
    A new Whittingham or McPhail would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I've seen several versions of this for other clubs over the last few weeks on twitter, so I thought I'd have a go at doing one for Cardiff.

Depth.jpg

What do you think?

The greyed out players are ones who are probably leaving
    The youth section is meant to be youngsters who could potentially get some game time in the coming season. I don't have a clue if we have anyone in that category or not.
    That team looks really strong/

A bit unfair on Ralls but I agree with a bit of what you're saying.
    A new Whittingham or McPhail would be ideal.
    The later please

We're doomed! Doomed I say!

Depth.jpg

Updated for the final squad.

Greyed out players I think won't be in the 25, but your guess is a good as mine.

That's a really good view of our squad. I think there's a few that can play in more positions e.g. Peltier can be CB, Ward can play on the wing, Bamba in midfield.

I think we've finally got a good balance that will give us competition for places, options off the bench and the ability to play a different formation if we want.