+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FT: Torquay Utd 1 - 1 Cardiff City. Pre season friendly

Re: Torquay Utd v Cardiff City. Pre season friendly

We won't be scoring many goals in the Premier League.

Re: FT: Torquay Utd 1 - 1 Cardiff City. Pre season friendly

We lost to Shrewsbury last year in a friendly , yet still managed to get promoted. Wouldn’t read anything into pre season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    We lost to Shrewsbury last year in a friendly , yet still managed to get promoted. Wouldn’t read anything into pre season.
    We didn't have to play the likes of Man City, Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    We didn't have to play the likes of Man City, Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea last season.
    The season we made the FA cup final (and would have been in the playoffs hadn't we had a poor opening 3 months to the season) we lost to non-league Stockport 6-4 in a friendly.

I remember Newcastle being trounced by some lower division nonentity in a friendly once before winning the Championship.

Anyone reading anything into the results of pre-season friendlies are idiots.

Warnock has also stated they had a full training session this morning too.

Heisenberg

Then it's a good job that we can still play the likes of Huddersfield, Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle, Burnley, Fulham, Wolves, Leicester, Everton, Southampton, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Watford to have a chance at staying up, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Then it's a good job that we can still play the likes of Huddersfield, Brighton, West Ham, Newcastle, Burnley, Fulham, Wolves, Leicester, Everton, Southampton, Bournemouth, Crystal Palace and Watford to have a chance at staying up, isn't it?
    Absolutely. And I have no doubt that we'll pick up points off the top 6 at some points during the season.

NW is not an idiot - no matter what he says publicly he'll be making a note of what is working and what isn't. He won't knowingly carry too many passengers either, no matter what their name is.

This tour is about getting players used to each other so that the understanding between each player comes instinctively as quickly as possible. It sounds as if we had a lot of opportunities but failed to put them away, which does beg the question of 'do we have a natural goalscorer we can bring on'? I can't think of one other than Healey - who is seen as too inexperienced I'd guess judging by him only playing U-23's this week.

With Danny Ward going off with a knock, it wouldn't surprise me to see Healey given a few minutes in one of the upcoming matches just to check if he can perhaps bring his ability to find the back of the net to tougher tests. For NW that would be one hell of a gamble, but he's found one striker already under his nose and might be prepared to back another if Healey continues his form.

I'm going to be a bit contentious here and state that I think Ken's slowness to anticipate might cause us more problems in the Prem in some matches than the advantages he can bring - and I think a quick, nimble alternative like Healey may be what we need with such a mobile attack as we seem to have. I think NW sees Ward as that player but he seems a little fragile and will need a backup.

Be interesting to see how the matches against Rotherham and Burton go - and who plays. I think NW was hoping the team he put out tonight would have buried Torquay - despite the raft of changes at half time. That it didn't will have given him pause for thought even if it is just pre-season...

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We need a decent striker, old fruit.

Well we missed out on £50 Richarlison

Fact is we are going to have to battle as a team again and hope that one or two step up to the plate and I don't see our model being much different to last year's.
    Goals were pretty evenly shared out and set plays key.

We have seen just recently in the WC that if a team sets up properly they can be very difficult to break down, even with 'quality strikers. Sounds like Torquay played a blinder.

I see the experts and doom mongers are already sharpening their fingers for the big kick off in three weeks

Can we just enjoy the coming season instead of worrying.

We are going to take some battering, we are going to have some bad run of results, we will lose to some teams we need to beat and we will win some matches nobody thought we could.

Let's just enjoy being in the top flight in blue. Considering the job NW has done to date I'm sure he knows better than anyone what we lack.

Last night was a training session, we could win 10 nil and nobody think we will finish outside the bottom 3 so what does it matter? Are Torquay now suddenly going to storm their league next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

We are going to take some battering, we are going to have some bad run of results, we will lose to some teams we need to beat and we will win some matches nobody thought we could.

Let's just enjoy being in the top flight in blue. Considering the job NW has done to date I'm sure he knows better than anyone what we lack.

Last night was a training session, we could win 10 nil and nobody think we will finish outside the bottom 3 so what does it matter? Are Torquay now suddenly going to storm their league next year?

Heisenberg

That's a completely separate point, young vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The score is pretty irrelevant.
    The performances, individually and collectively, might give cause for concern but hopefully these can be worked on.

Personally, I don't read too much into friendly matches.
    Is the correct answer. Every summer we see people over reacting to fitness exercises. Torquay players would have been trying to prove a point against players who earn more in a week than they do in a year. Cardiff players would have been given specific instructions on what to do to improve on fitness levels etc.

People stupidly spend good money on watching these events, and usually come away thinking it was a proper football match that indicates how the team will be performing for the next 10 months. These games should be behind closed doors (like the old days).

Went to the Plymouth friendly last summer. Can’t even remember if it was 1-0 or 1-1... can remember that Plymouth were the better side for most of it.

Didn’t do us any harm.

There were a few causes for concern in the game, but ther could be any number of reasons for that.

Club friendlies literally mean nothing to us as fans. Nothing at all. They're exercises for the players. Nothing more.

If you're using them as a yardstick for next season you're a god damn lunatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    Club friendlies literally mean nothing to us as fans. Nothing at all. They're exercises for the players. Nothing more.

If you're using them as a yardstick for next season you're a god damn lunatic.
    We could have won 6-0 today and it wouldn't change the fact that this squad is not good enough for the premier league, we need a full back,at least two midfielder and a goal scorer, the last one being the most difficult to acquire,Defoe,as old as he is would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Anyone reading anything into the results of pre-season friendlies are idiots.
    I remember travelling to Yeovil for a pre-season friendly in July 2004. City were in the Championship, the Glovers were in League Two. The game ended in a 3-3 draw. City's defence looked a shambles, while Yeovil played some really decent football for a side in the bottom division. They were definitely the better team on the night. A couple of days later, based on their performance in that friendly, I put £25 on Yeovil to win League Two at 18/1. Win it they did and I was £450 better off at the end of the season. But then I guess I'm just an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

People are just determined to worry mate. If we finish top 6 this season this board will be full of people saying we need to get real and realise it was a one off and we’ll go down next year etc.... just the way it always has been and always will be.

I agree with you- planning on enjoying this season whatever comes. Last premier league season was horrible- well 2nd half of it was as soon as Ole was appointed. I lost interest as did the players. Can’t see that happening with Warnock in charge.

That's it, I'm selling my new 120" tele for £10.

The rules regarding pre-season friendlies are simple:

If your team gets a decent result, particularly against higher-ranking opposition, then the game was a good test, the signs were very encouraging and there is grounds for optimism regarding the season ahead.

If your team fails to get a decent result, particularly against lower-ranking opposition, then the game was just a training exercise, it was all about fitness and nothing else, the score and the performance didn't matter and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

Let's see how things look in a fortnight's time after we've played Betis.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Let's see how things look in a fortnight's time after we've played Betis.
    Indeed.
    I’ve been told the players had a full training session before the Torquay game , I guess for Warnock to give them a taste of trying to play tired, as we will be chasing shadows for most of the season.

We lost1-0 to Forest Green the last time we went up, didn’t seem to do us any harm- a few weeks later we thrashed Newcastle.

Last season we linked to 1-0s v Taffs Well and Plymouth and lost to Shrewsbury...

If we beat Betis I’ll be pleased, but it won’t make us title contenders.

If we lose then that’ll be a bit of a worry.

If we are thrashed and players look poor and disorganised then that will be a big worry.

Even then there’s nothing to say that it won’t turn around a few days later.

TBH anything better than 18th will do this year and will be a hell of an achievement given the strength of the Prem this season