Thread: Bobby Reid bringing a new dimension

Bobby Reid bringing a new dimension

Premier League article on Bobby Reid

https://www.premierleague.com/news/787575?sf194112977=1

Re: Bobby Reid bringing a new dimension

"Lee Johnson reinvented him as a striker"

Let's all hail Lil Lee

I was talking to a relative on the weekend who hails from Bristol and is a big Bristol City fan and he rates Reid quite highly, and sorry to see him go. Apparently he is a "worker" who gives 100% effort. He has a good goal scoring and goal-assist record but he is not physically strong nor tall, so one wonders how he will fare in a hoofball team which City have tended to be of late?

When you say "hoofball", do you mean getting the ball forward quickly at times, using some long passes at times?

We have some good 'footballers' in our team , and they can play a bit. I don't include all of our defenders in that of course, but they are extremely effective at what they do, and our centre backs are excellent in both 'boxes'.

Lots jump on the 'Warnock Way' bandwagon, but personally I'd rather watch a quicker, more direct route to goal, rather than just watch players 'keep possession' for as long as possible, I get bored with that.

To use horse racing terminology, Reid and Murphy 'could be anything'...... Let's hope they blossom next year into Premier league thoroughbreds! We're going to need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I was talking to a relative on the weekend who hails from Bristol and is a big Bristol City fan and he rates Reid quite highly, and sorry to see him go. Apparently he is a "worker" who gives 100% effort. He has a good goal scoring and goal-assist record but he is not physically strong nor tall, so one wonders how he will fare in a hoofball team which City have tended to be of late?
    You should've said we play a much improved and effective style of football as England.
    Same characteristics but we can create from open play and we can beat a decent team now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    When you say "hoofball", do you mean getting the ball forward quickly at times, using some long passes at times?

We have some good 'footballers' in our team , and they can play a bit. I don't include all of our defenders in that of course, but they are extremely effective at what they do, and our centre backs are excellent in both 'boxes'.

Lots jump on the 'Warnock Way' bandwagon, but personally I'd rather watch a quicker, more direct route to goal, rather than just watch players 'keep possession' for as long as possible, I get bored with that.

To use horse racing terminology, Reid and Murphy 'could be anything'...... Let's hope they blossom next year into Premier league thoroughbreds! We're going to need them.
    For the first couple of months I would agree but after that we just reverted to hoof ball tactics

Thinly veiled I'm a wurzle post imo.

Glenn Hoddle used to 'hoof' it 30/40 yards back in the day. I think they were called 'raking' passes them days

Hoillet, Mendez, Ralls, Murphy, Grujic, Reid, and even Bruno, are all happy with the ball at their feet, get a couple of ball winners in amongst that lot and we may (hopefully) surprise a few next term.

Glenn Hoddle used to 'hoof' it 30/40 yards back in the day. I think they were called 'raking' passes them days

Hoillet, Mendez, Ralls, Murphy, Grujic, Reid, and even Bruno, are all happy with the ball at their feet, get a couple of ball winners in amongst that lot and we may (hopefully) surprise a few next term.

Ah the hoofball morons are on day release again.

Direct. Not long ball. Huge difference.

Keeping possession and holding onto the ball did Germany a world of good in the World Cup. Defences so organised theses days, you got to attack them when they not had time to line up and organise.

This direct counter attaching was praised in the World Cup. Be interesting tones if we get the same praise. I doubt it.

Whether you want to call it "long ball", "direct" or "hoofball", the effect is usually the same - a long ball upfield in the hope rather than the expectation that someone is there to trap it and run on with it. Mostly there is not in City's case, certainly in the games I saw towards the end of the season. In fact the performances in the last few home games were quite poor I thought.

Insider: I had never heard of Bobby Reid until City signed him!

Heisenberg

We definitely played some 'hoofball' last season. The amount of times the ball fell into our midfield and our players swang at it without looking up was a frequent, frustrating sight.

A defender looking to play a diagonal ball into a wide player or hit it into an area where Paterson could flick a header into a dangerous area were both key components of our direct style of play during the season and it turned out to be very productive...

But I don't think you can argue that aimless balls were also played a lot throughout the season. It doesn't have to be a huge criticism to point it out either, it can just be an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We definitely played some 'hoofball' last season. The amount of times the ball fell into our midfield and our players swang at it without looking up was a frequent, frustrating sight.

A defender looking to play a diagonal ball into a wide player or hit it into an area where Paterson could flick a header into a dangerous area were both key components of our direct style of play during the season and it turned out to be very productive...

But I don't think you can argue that aimless balls were also played a lot throughout the season. It doesn't have to be a huge criticism to point it out either, it can just be an observation.
    Agree - when it comes off (i.e. the long diagonal pass) it looks spectacular, but how many times did that happen in a game?

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Agree - when it comes off (i.e. the long diagonal pass) it looks spectacular, but how many times did that happen in a game?
    You'll have to ask someone who keeps count of those types of things, sorry.

It's hard to be critical when your team has just been promoted, but I do fear for us if we go into the Premier League passing the ball like we did at times last season. There is a fine dividing line between an approach which sees a side playing long passes into the channels or over the top of a square defence playing with a high line for quick forwards to exploit and "hoofball". For me, hoofball is when players just hook it forward over their shoulders in the general direction of a team mate and often the goal is to gain a free kick, throw in or corner which can be launched into the opposition penalty area. City have been strong from attacking set pieces for some time now, so you can understand the desire to exploit this, but the danger has to be that alternative approaches dwindle and, eventually, disappear.
    My view is that for the majority of the time that Neil Warnock has been here, we have been on the right side of that line between a long ball game and hoofball, but as the season went on, it became harder to tell one from the other.
    Thirty odd years ago, Wimbledon achieved a "fairy tale" promotion into the old First Division and were able to stay there, mostly pretty comfortably, for more than a decade while also winning the FA Cup. For nearly all of that time, they played the most basic of long ball games - in fact, I would say they played hoofball most of the time.
    Could such an approach work in the modern Premier League? I don't think it's possible to say with any certainty. because, although there have been plenty of sides who've played a long ball game since Wimbledon were relegated eighteen years ago, I've not seen a side that played like them week in, week out.
    At times during the second half of last season, we did a pretty convincing impersonation of the old Wimbledon team, but I wouldn't say we ever went out with the intention of playing like that, it's just a trap which a side like us can fall into when they are finding things a bit of a struggle.
    Therefore, with everyone, hardly surprisingly, predicting more defeats and a much lower league position we are, by definition, going to be struggling in matches more than we did last season and, with the midfield and defenders we have now, that will in all likelihood, see us going down the hoofball route that bit more. It worked for Wimbledon twenty years ago - my suspicion is though that things have moved on since then and a bit more sophistication is required now, but it would come as a culture shock to modern day defences I suppose and so maybe it could succeed?

When stoke were first promoted they got castigated for their style of play - using long throws etc and set pieces.
    Once the fans had a few seasons they then wanted "tiki-taki" football and look where that got them in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's hard to be critical when your team has just been promoted, but I do fear for us if we go into the Premier League passing the ball like we did at times last season. There is a fine dividing line between an approach which sees a side playing long passes into the channels or over the top of a square defence playing with a high line for quick forwards to exploit and "hoofball". For me, hoofball is when players just hook it forward over their shoulders in the general direction of a team mate and often the goal is to gain a free kick, throw in or corner which can be launched into the opposition penalty area. City have been strong from attacking set pieces for some time now, so you can understand the desire to exploit this, but the danger has to be that alternative approaches dwindle and, eventually, disappear.
    My view is that for the majority of the time that Neil Warnock has been here, we have been on the right side of that line between a long ball game and hoofball, but as the season went on, it became harder to tell one from the other.
    Thirty odd years ago, Wimbledon achieved a "fairy tale" promotion into the old First Division and were able to stay there, mostly pretty comfortably, for more than a decade while also winning the FA Cup. For nearly all of that time, they played the most basic of long ball games - in fact, I would say they played hoofball most of the time.
    Could such an approach work in the modern Premier League? I don't think it's possible to say with any certainty. because, although there have been plenty of sides who've played a long ball game since Wimbledon were relegated eighteen years ago, I've not seen a side that played like them week in, week out.
    At times during the second half of last season, we did a pretty convincing impersonation of the old Wimbledon team, but I wouldn't say we ever went out with the intention of playing like that, it's just a trap which a side like us can fall into when they are finding things a bit of a struggle.
    Therefore, with everyone, hardly surprisingly, predicting more defeats and a much lower league position we are, by definition, going to be struggling in matches more than we did last season and, with the midfield and defenders we have now, that will in all likelihood, see us going down the hoofball route that bit more. It worked for Wimbledon twenty years ago - my suspicion is though that things have moved on since then and a bit more sophistication is required now, but it would come as a culture shock to modern day defences I suppose and so maybe it could succeed?
    That Wimbledon team kicked the absolute shit out of the opposition, borderline assault in some cases. They had some players who could play, like Dennis Wise, but their success was built on putting fear into the opposition and bullying them. If they had been around today they’d never finish a game with 11 players.
    Thankfully we’ve got rid of thugs like Vinny Jones from the game and letting better players flourish.

They also intimidated the life out of the opposition in the tunnel before a ball was even kicked. You just couldn’t get away with the things they used to do in these modern times with all the cameras in the tunnel before the game.

Nurse! Somebody get GB his pills!

Glen Hoddle ffs The nearest we had to someone being able to ping balls like GH was Whitts and he was bombed out as soon as possible.

well they`ve just signed tom Ince, (think he turned down real madrid) so must be doing something right. £10million lolololololololol.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    When stoke were first promoted they got castigated for their style of play - using long throws etc and set pieces.
    Once the fans had a few seasons they then wanted "tiki-taki" football and look where that got them in the end.
    9th, 9th and 9th? Stoke failed because they bought incredibly poorly, not because of their style of play.

What on earh is "tiki taki football"? or do we mean "tippy tappy"?

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    It's actually termed tiki taka I believe

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    It’s actually tiki taka

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    It’s actually tiki taka
    Spanish for tippy tappy