+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: £50m

£50m

Spotted on twitter earlier -

"I remember when £50m bought you Zidane. Now you get a nobody from Watford. Football is f*cked and its thanks to England and Sky.

Re: £50m

Quote Originally Posted by Louth View Post

"I remember when £50m bought you Zidane. Now you get a nobody from Watford. Football is f*cked and its thanks to England and Sky.
    It's quite right too. All the positives that came out of the World Cup will soon become forgotten as Sky's over hyped league kicks off.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    It's quite right too. All the positives that came out of the World Cup will soon become forgotten as Sky's over hyped league kicks off.
    Crazy money. I’m quite happy for us to improve our squad sensibly and pocket the rest.

Do you have a link to the tweet?

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    Do you have a link to the tweet?
    https://mobile.twitter.com/madbhoab/...14630668251136

But aren't clubs now operating at a higher financial level ? So whilst wages and fees appear higher on paper aren't they all still around the same percentages in terms of a clubs outgoings and ingoings ? Don't think football is ****ed at all. In fact, football is better than it ever has been, and anyone that disputes that, in my opinion, is stuck in the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    But aren't clubs now operating at a higher financial level ? So whilst wages and fees appear higher on paper aren't they all still around the same percentages in terms of a clubs outgoings and ingoings ? Don't think football is ****ed at all. In fact, football is better than it ever has been, and anyone that disputes that, in my opinion, is stuck in the 1980s.
    Perhaps the complaint is that players like him are commanding those fees. Ffs Ronaldo only cost double that.This player scored 6 goals and burst into tears when substituted.
    Of course the game has changed, for the better? Every season we hear how much promotion is worth. What was it in May,, 160m? Almost every club that gets relegated ends up fecked .

The money for very ordinary players is ridiculous. Google Boreham Wood and their press release yday. Its madness even at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Perhaps the complaint is that players like him are commanding those fees. Ffs Ronaldo only cost double that.This player scored 6 goals and burst into tears when substituted.
    Of course the game has changed, for the better? Every season we hear how much promotion is worth. What was it in May,, 160m? Almost every club that gets relegated ends up fecked .

The money for very ordinary players is ridiculous. Google Boreham Wood and their press release yday. Its madness even at that level.
    I don't think it's "living in the 80s" to speculate that this ever-increasing football money cannot sustain itself long term.
    TV habits are changing; when Sky subscriptions start to dwindle, so will the Sky football money.
    Then we'll have clubs and players committed (addicted?) to the high spend without the money to maintain their habits.
    Football could well implode.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I don't think it's "living in the 80s" to speculate that this ever-increasing football money cannot sustain itself long term.
    TV habits are changing; when Sky subscriptions start to dwindle, so will the Sky football money.
    Then we'll have clubs and players committed (addicted?) to the high spend without the money to maintain their habits.
    Football could well implode.
    The reason for them reorganising their sports packages was the fact they were losing subscribers.

"Football is better than ever, and anyone who disputes that is stuck in the 80's"

Was there such a focus on money in the 80's? I would hate to think that those Russian player's first thought was that they have secured a big money move rather than how much pride and joy they brought to their country and yet the way Sky talk about football it's entirely possible.

Many things have improved in football but fans predicting success/kicking off based on spend, teams like Leyton Orient being screwed by the awful process of West Ham moving to Olympic Stadium, Boreham statement aforementioned and Garry Neville's twitter spat with Accrington Stanley are all examples where money has been put ahead of football. Things can improve by taking a step back.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Many things have improved in football but fans predicting success/kicking off based on spend, teams like Leyton Orient being screwed by the awful process of West Ham moving to Olympic Stadium, Boreham statement aforementioned and Garry Neville's twitter spat with Accrington Stanley are all examples where money has been put ahead of football.
    Money has been put ahead of football for a very long time. It's nothing new. And as for those predicting that football will implode, how long have we been hearing that?!? Such predictions have been made every year for decades.

I've been saying football will implode, the bubble will burst etc since maybe 2002. I've since come to realise I'm wrong. It won't.

The sky subscribers thing is a good point... but for the fact that a shit load of money comes in from abroad too. That's why it won't burst, there are too many income streams. The world isn't going to tire of watching football any time soon.

And actually, though we grumble about the premier league a lot, in these times of brexit and the UK going it alone, the premier league is probably the biggest UK export success story of the last 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    And actually, though we grumble about the premier league a lot, in these times of brexit and the UK going it alone, the premier league is probably the biggest UK export success story of the last 25 years.
    PL saves UK economy.

Yup.
    I was going to pen something on this when I read the post earlier.

The nonsense we are reading about regarding transfer fees and wages has been steadily getting worse since the beginning of the PL and as long as teams are bought and sold to billionaire businessman, this will continue.
    It just means that the more affluent will be the ones enjoying watching their teams with the less fortunate being priced out of the traditional working class sport.

Perhaps a renaissance on the parks beckons.

I've been saying football will implode, the bubble will burst etc since maybe 2002. I've since come to realise I'm wrong. It won't.

The sky subscribers thing is a good point... but for the fact that a shit load of money comes in from abroad too. That's why it won't burst, there are too many income streams. The world isn't going to tire of watching football any time soon.
    I'm also of the belief that whilst sky may pull out eventually, I do not think they will pull out because they want too, rather other companies out price them. Amazon dipping their toes in is a massive indication that other companies now fancy a piece of the cake, and will most likely pay top dollar for it. So if anything, I only see more money being ploughed in, at which point a collapse of the league suits nobody.

buy a house in the 90's and see how much it would sell for now

I remember when you could get a Malcolm MacDonald for £333,333.

Made me smile when I saw how much Richarlison is valued at in Sky's version of Fantasy Football - based on what he did last season, I'd say their valuation is closer to the mark than Everton's.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...s-bargain-buys

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Made me smile when I saw how much Richarlison is valued at in Sky's version of Fantasy Football - based on what he did last season, I'd say their valuation is closer to the mark than Everton's.

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...s-bargain-buys
    Richarlison has gone to Everton for 50m, while Malcom has joined Barca for 36m! And they said Premier League players were overpriced.