+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: For Wimbledon, read British Open Golf?

For Wimbledon, read British Open Golf?

A few weeks back, I commented on the lack of Wimbledon posts on here and said I felt it had become boring with the same old faces dominating - of course, Roger Federer then lost within a couple of hours!

Now, with no World Cup to act as a distraction, I'm struck by the fact that I don't believe there has been one post on here about the Open golf this week. I was looking forward to the Open being played at Carnoustie, a venue where the battle between player and course is a more equal one in these days of equipment which helps the ball fly miles, but the conditions have drawn it's sting and we are getting pitch and putt stuff on par fives as players drive it four hundred yards or more.

I also find it annoying to see so much stars and stripes on the leaderboard - there has been a talented new generation of American golfers breaking through in the last three or four years, but it also seems to me that the Europeans are weaker than they've been for quite some time.

Maybe someone like McIlroy, Fleetwood or Molinari can strike a blow for Europe today, but I've no great hopes of that happening - another American win (think that'll be six majors on the trot for them) looks more likely to me.

Re: For Wimbledon, read British Open Golf?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A few weeks back, I commented on the lack of Wimbledon posts on here and said I felt it had become boring with the same old faces dominating - of course, Roger Federer then lost within a couple of hours!

Now, with no World Cup to act as a distraction, I'm struck by the fact that I don't believe there has been one post on here about the Open golf this week. I was looking forward to the Open being played at Carnoustie, a venue where the battle between player and course is a more equal one in these days of equipment which helps the ball fly miles, but the conditions have drawn it's sting and we are getting pitch and putt stuff on par fives as players drive it four hundred yards or more.

I also find it annoying to see so much stars and stripes on the leaderboard - there has been a talented new generation of American golfers breaking through in the last three or four years, but it also seems to me that the Europeans are weaker than they've been for quite some time.

Maybe someone like McIlroy, Fleetwood or Molinari can strike a blow for Europe today, but I've no great hopes of that happening - another American win (think that'll be six majors on the trot for them) looks more likely to me.
    A lot of the non postings re the open championship is because I believe due to the fact it has been lost as a live sport on BBC.

I have noticed the lack of European in the leading pack too Paul. be interesting to see the next Ryder cup. Can see the yanks winning it by a mile. IU think Tommy Fleetwood may be the only European to make a go of it today. Tiger and Mcliroy to fall away today.
    Spedger

Mr van Leef has got a point.
    I told Sky to do one and have only watched the BBC highlights which is not the same as watching live.

As for the Carnoustie course, it makes Castell Coch pitch and put look like Augusta National.
    Although the weather has played a big part in the condition, personally I'd don't like watching golf on links courses. The scenery and backdrop is a big part of the viewing experience for me and I find them boring so I've not missed it much.

Fleetwood looks some player for the future but as has been said, looks lacking in depth on this side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    A lot of the non postings re the open championship is because I believe due to the fact it has been lost as a live sport on BBC.
    This. Disgraceful it’s no longer on the BBC.
    I was looking at the European rankings the other days. A fair few names that I did not recognise.
    Odds on the USA to retain the Ryder Cup this year.

I have been watching last 4 days, would have contributed to any thread just seems no one made the jump to actually start one until now.

Just hoping Tiger can keep in top 10 even break into top 5 would be great to see and massive boost to him personally.

Enjoying the last day. Some twist and turns and more to come I reckon.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    I have been watching last 4 days, would have contributed to any thread just seems no one made the jump to actually start one until now.

Just hoping Tiger can keep in top 10 even break into top 5 would be great to see and massive boost to him personally.
    I said earlier that he would fade away. However I was rooting for him to to do well and thought he had proved me wrong. Double bogey deflated him big time. Not all over yet though. Love to see it go into a play off.
    Spedger

All of a sudden some George crosses have appeared with Rose and McIlroy.
    Double bogey and bogey at 11 and 12 look costly for Woods.
    Speith been very ordinary after his crazy decision to take a wood out of the rough earlier.

Surprisingly, it's actually become a very exciting tournament.

Oops... many of us didn't see this coming... Molinari.
    Chuffed for him.

Shame for Woods but really pleased if Molinari now wins. Been listening on Five Live. Brilliant coverage especially John Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Shame for Woods but really pleased if Molinari now wins. Been listening on Five Live. Brilliant coverage especially John Murray
    Sky keep panning to Molinari watching on the tele, overly so, and it's quite uncomfortable watching.
    Youre in the best position I reckon, listening.

I think.its I'm the bag for Molinari. Ryder cup in Italy coming up too.

Bucket list Ryder Cup at home but abroad. Now there's a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Sky keep panning to Molinari watching on the tele, overly so, and it's quite uncomfortable watching.
    Youre in the best position I reckon, listening.

I think.its I'm the bag for Molinari. Ryder cup in Italy coming up too.

Bucket list Ryder Cup at home but abroad. Now there's a thought.
    Yep never done the Ryder Cup and 2022 in Italy is tempting.

You've done it again Bob!

Molinari should send you a piece of the Claret Jug!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Why does anybody like Tiger Woods?

hardest game of all to predict and huge fillip for Europe before Ryder cup ,leaves me cold though when you read the total purse was over ten million dollars,wonder if the green keepers up there are getting above minimum

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Because at his best he was simply the greatest player to ever pick up a club what Ronnie O S ullivan is to snooker l guess

Have not read all the replies, but got the gist.

The main reason there is no chat on here about it, is that there are some intelligent posters on here and golf is f ucking boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    Because at his best he was simply the greatest player to ever pick up a club what Ronnie O S ullivan is to snooker l guess
    Maybe one of but not the greatest.

It's the same for all sports greats they maybe twats in the real world but you like to see the best do what they do best

strange that people are complaining about so many americans in the top ten , then c,mon Tiger, like he`s a personal friend. Well done Mol, oh and Rose and Mcilroy.

Not only was your prediction off the mark, I thought I couldn't let the rather large faux pas on your part in the thread title Bob, for a sporting guru anyway... "British" Open

Glad it's not just me Rich - never been a fan of his.

Really enjoyed yesterday - I thought Molinari was on for a Nick Faldo type round when he won the Open at Birkdale I think it was with a round of 18 pars while everyone else was dropping shots. Carnoustie finally bore it's teeth for a while and the whole character of the event changed, but, even so, I was surprised to see Jordan Spieth give it away really with some strange choices because I thought the event was his to win going into the last round.

Molinari is in the form of his life and I just hope his hot streak lasts through until September - great to see a European win, but the Americans still have to be Ryder Cup favourites.