+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ryan Woods (Brentford)

Re: Ryan Woods (Brentford)

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Still think he’d be ideal for us.
    Not all our players have be huge, don’t forget we signed Jamie Ward last year 😂

He can pick a pass and that’s missing from our side, he’s also not afraid to tackle and can work hard.
    I reckon he could adapt to getting it forward earlier and with a lot more accuracy than we have now !

He’s ideally suited to the prem and with the likes of Ralls and Grujic around him, along with runners like Hoillet, Zohore and Reid he would flourish.

Let’s face it, he’s far better than what we’ve got and if the fee I read of £6m is true then he’s an absolute bargain.
    I don't think it's down to his size though I would imagine that Warnock would be happier with a unit like N'diaye in that position.

I'm not sure picking a pass is Woods strength to be honest. He no Tom Cairney or Neves. What he does is knit the game together. He has positional nous, reads the game and starts the play off with simple passing.

I don't think anyone would argue that our back 4 don't get the ball forward quickly, and if we bypassed Woods (who often comes deep to receive the ball) then we wouldn't get the best out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I don't think it's down to his size though I would imagine that Warnock would be happier with a unit like N'diaye in that position.

I'm not sure picking a pass is Woods strength to be honest. He no Tom Cairney or Neves. What he does is knit the game together. He has positional nous, reads the game and starts the play off with simple passing.

I don't think anyone would argue that our back 4 don't get the ball forward quickly, and if we bypassed Woods (who often comes deep to receive the ball) then we wouldn't get the best out of him.
    Think he would at least enable us to mix it up, which would be handy in the PL. plus, the jacks really want him so let’s buy him anyway, even if we don’t need him....lol

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Think he would at least enable us to mix it up, which would be handy in the PL. plus, the jacks really want him so let’s buy him anyway, even if we don’t need him....lol
    Fact is, we need a midfielder and here is one of the best in the Championship ( if not THE best now Cairney is in the Prem) going for peanuts.

We should be at the front of the queue

Last time out we failed with a striker and it, amongst other things cost us. Let’s hope this time it’s not our midfield. I like our signings so far mind, lots of pace up front. The Villarreal guy might be a better fit? Can we loan him and buy woods?

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

In fairness the stats back you up. https://www.whoscored.com/Players/13...ory/Ryan-Woods

I was very surprised to see just 3 assists last season and 1 goal , as against he seemed to open us up regularly.

However he created 32 chances according to another stat, so maybe his strikers let him down a bit 😂, averaging 1 key pass per game.

He also hit 6 long balls per game, which suggests he can do it.

This is a fair bit more than Joe Ralls for example

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/10...tory/Joe-Ralls

However, overall Ralls smashes him on effectiveness ... goals and assists... I wonder how many of these assists were from crosses or set pieces though.

I like the comments about him knitting the game together, I felt last season that one of our most annoying traits was how often we gave the ball away in the middle of the park, I thought even then that we needed someone who could do the simple things consistently, I appreciate that his size could count against him with Neil but for me he would be an excellent additional to the squad and give us something that we're lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    i saw someone tipping Brentford to go up via the Play Offs yesterday and one of the reasons he said this was that he thought Brentford had done well to keep Woods, Mepham and Watkins. They all would have been on my potential signing list back in May and I reckon we could definitely afford Woods if we are really thinking of paying £15 million for someone.
    Yes, and 15 million is a cheap price for a decent midfielder.

6 million is day light robbery

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    6 million is DAY LIGHT ROBBERY
    It would be nice to locate the origin of this phrase, so let's go back to the 1690s. Like many English monarchs, William III was short of money, which he attempted to rectify by the introduction of the much-despised Window Tax. As the name suggests, this was a tax levied on the windows or window-like openings of a property. The details were much amended over time, but the tax was levied originally on all dwellings except cottages. The upper classes, having the largest houses, paid the most. Some wealthy individuals used their ability to pay as a mark of status and demonstrated their wealth by ostentatiously building homes with many windows.

wind.jpg

Blocked up windows to avoid tax.

At the moment we only have Ralls, Gunnar & Damour that are "natural" central players. Add Paterson in there and I'm sure he'll do a job but wouldn't be too sure yet. For me Woods is as good if not better than what we have.

Other options for me would be Drinkwater, Andy King & Amartey who is also at Leicester. I would also be looking at getting the lad from United on loan, McTominay - you have to assume he's not going to be getting a lot of games with the amount of central options they have. Only thing that goes against us is the fact they have European football as well.

Time is ticking and we are desperate for another holding player, maybe two. I hope Warnock has someone lined up that is realistic by next week.

Sorry to disappoint but 'the truth' is now out!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...field-14981941

Or in other words Wales Online (the cringeworthy Paul Abbandonato) have done another pathetic rehash without any research, quotes or attributions, and declared that Warnock wants either Grujic or N'Diaye. No one else under consideration. That's it.

He also fancies a striker and Wales Online can reveal that Troy Deaney has been linked!

Utter dross!