I am a massive fan of Ryan Woods. I first watched him playing for Shrewsbury against Burton. A few years ago now. I have a friend who is a Shrewsbury fan and I try to catch a home game of theirs every season. Prior to the game, the Shrewsbury fans were raving about this young ginger lad in midfield. They were not wrong. He was sensational, picking up the ball from defenders, dictating the pace of the game, switching play at will and driving his team forward. It was evident he was a player with a lot of potential who would eventually play at a higher level.

However, would he be a natural fit in the current Cardiff City team?

I am not sure that he would be. He is a gifted footballer who is very tenacious. He is more a deep lying playmaker than a defensive midfield player. He has been a great success at Brentford, they have a football philosophy that is congruent with his style of play. Whoever, they play they look to out play the opposition.

Woods weaknesses stem from his physique, he is not the quickest and lacks lateral movement in front of the back four. He can be over powered and is prone to being closed down by a high pressing team.

I believe Warnock is looking for a more defensive midfield player, someone who can break up opposition attacks and get the ball forward quickly for our quick forward players. Someone with a good engine who can support quick counter attacks and restrict their passing ambitions to the oppositions' half of the field.

I would love to see Woods in a City shirt but I think we might need to change our style of play before we do so.