+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Woods (Brentford)

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Ryan Woods (Brentford)

Bossed the midfield for Brentford last season.

The Jacks are interested.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/ne...rds-ryan-woods

Could be the missing piece of the midfield jigsaw for us, in addition to Deeney up top?

Warnock reportedly at the Watford v Brentford friendly.

Re: Ryan Woods (Brentford)

Quote Originally Posted by Forest Green Bluebird View Post
    Bossed the midfield for Brentford last season.

The Jacks are interested.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/ne...rds-ryan-woods

Could be the missing piece of the midfield jigsaw for us, in addition to Deeney up top?

Warnock reportedly at the Watford v Brentford friendly.
    Neil knows best .

He's Troying with some ideas.

I can't believe there are not any midfield options outside ofvtge premiership , where's Vincent's mum views , when we need her.

Would love him here but unfortunately he’s only 4 foot 5

The word is he's not even playing.Vould we scupper the Jack's ? They have alot of money at the mo.

First Team Forest Green Bluebird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Great things come in small packages:

Ian Gibson
    Willie Carlin
    Rob Earnshaw
    Carl Dale
    Leo Fortune-West

He is a 1.73m tall according to Wiki - a towering 5' 8" - and that is rounding down!

He should be able to duck under all those clumsy tackles by the big lads. Nippy is the way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by dicey1966 View Post
    The word is he's not even playing.Vould we scupper the Jack's ? They have alot of money at the mo.
    A lot of money??? We haven't even paid up a relatively small sum to settle the wrongful dismissal case for Penny and Keefe,two ex directors who Gonzo et al. shafted when selling up.

I think we've taken on the mantle of being Wales' number 1 club, but not for on the pitch matters that's for sure

Yes please ....I have been impressed by him every time I have seen him play !

Quality player, could make the step up to tne prem

I suggested his name on this board over a month ago,nobody seemed interested then.

Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    I suggested his name on this board over a month ago,nobody seemed interested then.
    I'm sure gringo or gibbo mentioned we should sign him from Shrewsbury

I'm sure gringo or gibbo mentioned we should sign him from Shrewsbury
    It was when suggestions were being made about new midfielders, he’s a lovely passer of the ball and a real grafter,I was impressed with him against us home and away last season,he’s really highly thought of by Brentford fans,that’s normally a good yardstick to measure a player by,they don’t want him to leave.

Been interested for a good few seasons, for me he is easily one of the best in the Champ. Would love him to come here.

Been on about him for years. There’s a fair few admirers of him on here.
    Stood out a mile at the friendly at Shrewsbury away.

Thought Brentford would be looking for £15m for him at today’s prices.

Probably because he had been mentioned half a dozen times before in various threads this summer, rather than anything else

i saw someone tipping Brentford to go up via the Play Offs yesterday and one of the reasons he said this was that he thought Brentford had done well to keep Woods, Mepham and Watkins. They all would have been on my potential signing list back in May and I reckon we could definitely afford Woods if we are really thinking of paying £15 million for someone.

I am a massive fan of Ryan Woods. I first watched him playing for Shrewsbury against Burton. A few years ago now. I have a friend who is a Shrewsbury fan and I try to catch a home game of theirs every season. Prior to the game, the Shrewsbury fans were raving about this young ginger lad in midfield. They were not wrong. He was sensational, picking up the ball from defenders, dictating the pace of the game, switching play at will and driving his team forward. It was evident he was a player with a lot of potential who would eventually play at a higher level.

However, would he be a natural fit in the current Cardiff City team?

I am not sure that he would be. He is a gifted footballer who is very tenacious. He is more a deep lying playmaker than a defensive midfield player. He has been a great success at Brentford, they have a football philosophy that is congruent with his style of play. Whoever, they play they look to out play the opposition.

Woods weaknesses stem from his physique, he is not the quickest and lacks lateral movement in front of the back four. He can be over powered and is prone to being closed down by a high pressing team.

I believe Warnock is looking for a more defensive midfield player, someone who can break up opposition attacks and get the ball forward quickly for our quick forward players. Someone with a good engine who can support quick counter attacks and restrict their passing ambitions to the oppositions' half of the field.

I would love to see Woods in a City shirt but I think we might need to change our style of play before we do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gibson's pencil View Post
    I am a massive fan of Ryan Woods. I first watched him playing for Shrewsbury against Burton. A few years ago now. I have a friend who is a Shrewsbury fan and I try to catch a home game of theirs every season. Prior to the game, the Shrewsbury fans were raving about this young ginger lad in midfield. They were not wrong. He was sensational, picking up the ball from defenders, dictating the pace of the game, switching play at will and driving his team forward. It was evident he was a player with a lot of potential who would eventually play at a higher level.

However, would he be a natural fit in the current Cardiff City team?

I am not sure that he would be. He is a gifted footballer who is very tenacious. He is more a deep lying playmaker than a defensive midfield player. He has been a great success at Brentford, they have a football philosophy that is congruent with his style of play. Whoever, they play they look to out play the opposition.

Woods weaknesses stem from his physique, he is not the quickest and lacks lateral movement in front of the back four. He can be over powered and is prone to being closed down by a high pressing team.

I believe Warnock is looking for a more defensive midfield player, someone who can break up opposition attacks and get the ball forward quickly for our quick forward players. Someone with a good engine who can support quick counter attacks and restrict their passing ambitions to the oppositions' half of the field.

I would love to see Woods in a City shirt but I think we might need to change our style of play before we do so.
    I agree 100% with this. There is no way that Woods would be a Warnock type player. We play in a completely different way to what would suit Woods.

There is no way Warnock would want a midfielder going so deep to control the tempo of our play when his whole ethos is about getting the ball forward quickly.

If Swansea are serious about returning to their 'Swansea way' then Woods would be the ideal choice for them.

What a banal thing to say, why on earth make such a snide comments when you know absolutely nothing about me?, top marks for childish reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Probably because he had been mentioned half a dozen times before in various threads this summer, rather than anything else
    See below comment,top marks for a childish reply.

We’ve been going on about him for a while to be fair.

See below comment,top marks for a childish reply.
    Eh? I only meant that when you said nobody seemed interested if was probably because we've had umpteen threads on similar topics over the last few months and there's an element of thread-fatigue, rather than people not actually rating him as I've seen plenty of posts where people do.
    But if you want to interpret that as snide and childish then crack on.

It was when suggestions were being made about new midfielders, he’s a lovely passer of the ball and a real grafter,I was impressed with him against us home and away last season,he’s really highly thought of by Brentford fans,that’s normally a good yardstick to measure a player by,they don’t want him to leave.
    After the first 20 minutes we bullied the shit out of him in the away game

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I agree 100% with this. There is no way that Woods would be a Warnock type player. We play in a completely different way to what would suit Woods.

There is no way Warnock would want a midfielder going so deep to control the tempo of our play when his whole ethos is about getting the ball forward quickly.

If Swansea are serious about returning to their 'Swansea way' then Woods would be the ideal choice for them.
    Still think he’d be ideal for us.
    Not all our players have be huge, don’t forget we signed Jamie Ward last year 😂

He can pick a pass and that’s missing from our side, he’s also not afraid to tackle and can work hard.
    I reckon he could adapt to getting it forward earlier and with a lot more accuracy than we have now !

He’s ideally suited to the prem and with the likes of Ralls and Grujic around him, along with runners like Hoillet, Zohore and Reid he would flourish.

Let’s face it, he’s far better than what we’ve got and if the fee I read of £6m is true then he’s an absolute bargain.