+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Eisteddfod in Cardiff

Eisteddfod in Cardiff

Anyone going down? Free this year to get into the park and plenty of interesting bits and pieces for Welsh speakers, learners and English speakers too: https://spark.adobe.com/page/jwLeLG1R6z4Mw/

Re: Eisteddfod in Cardiff

I'll go down there, I went to the last two in Abergavenny & Anglesey and both were pretty similar, hopefully it'll be different as its in a city

Its a good day out & there's plenty to do even if you don't speak Welsh

I had to help my mate out as he’s away
    He does the air bnb thing down the bay 6 rooms all fully booked with people doing the eisteddfod
    I had to get some fresh bedding and fresh towels to one of his guests.

Knocked on the door as she answered
    I asked politely what exactly did she required
    She looked at me blankly so I asked again
    She just stared at me
    I then said I believe you’re after some fresh bedding

She then said “I only speak welsh!!” Closed the door 😂

Quote Originally Posted by walinoz View Post
    I had to help my mate out as he’s away
    He does the air bnb thing down the bay 6 rooms all fully booked with people doing the eisteddfod
    I had to get some fresh bedding and fresh towels to one of his guests.

Knocked on the door as she answered
    I asked politely what exactly did she required
    She looked at me blankly so I asked again
    She just stared at me
    I then said I believe you’re after some fresh bedding

She then said “I only speak welsh!!” Closed the door ��
    Oddball. You get them. I remember being in the laundrette in Pontcanna and overhearing the lady who was running the place telling a customer "I hates Welsh". Remember thinking "you can't have that great a relationship with english either, the way you're massacring it".

.....she did turn round to me and say " Oh, you're Welsh are you? Sorry!" in fairness to her. Being apologetic for her silly prejudice went some way for making up for it. I went back. The facilities were good. Made sure I kept my welsh to myself though.

I've also had similar run ins with s4c types over language issues. Get it from all sides.

They all have one thing in common though. They are tossers.

The esiteddfod is a good laugh though. Especially Maes B , where all the contemporary music is. I think they tend to do it at venues round the city though when in Cardiff. Shame really because the whole camping/festival vibe is a laugh. Don't know if I'd do the camping though if I was over 25 though. People tend to move on to Greenman or the Portmeirion festival once they are too old to be seen smashed in front of eighteen year olds.

Went down today before the game, was great. Loads of great stalls and music on, well worth a trip down the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Oddball. You get them. I remember being in the laundrette in Pontcanna and overhearing the lady who was running the place telling a customer "I hates Welsh". Remember thinking "you can't have that great a relationship with english either, the way you're massacring it".

.....she did turn round to me and say " Oh, you're Welsh are you? Sorry!" in fairness to her. Being apologetic for her silly prejudice went some way for making up for it. I went back. The facilities were good. Made sure I kept my welsh to myself though.

I've also had similar run ins with s4c types over language issues. Get it from all sides.

They all have one thing in common though. They are tossers.

The esiteddfod is a good laugh though. Especially Maes B , where all the contemporary music is. I think they tend to do it at venues round the city though when in Cardiff. Shame really because the whole camping/festival vibe is a laugh. Don't know if I'd do the camping though if I was over 25 though. People tend to move on to Greenman or the Portmeirion festival once they are too old to be seen smashed in front of eighteen year olds.
    Maes B last year was mad, loved it. You're right on the age thing though, I've been twice (when I was 16 & 17) and anyone over around 22/23 stands out

Maes B is on Fitzalan fields next to Gol this year, which is an odd place for them to put it

Its not just down the bay either, there's Eisteddfod gigs going on in Clwb Ifor Bach all week

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Maes B last year was mad, loved it. You're right on the age thing though, I've been twice (when I was 16 & 17) and anyone over around 22/23 stands out

Maes B is on Fitzalan fields next to Gol this year, which is an odd place for them to put it

Cool. Nice to see they are having a proper Maes B.

I think the first one I went to was Pencoed....1998 ish. Then I also did Anglesey, Llanelli, Ty Ddewi and Meifod. All good fun. Like you though, I was 16 to 21. Probably still worth going over there for the gigs and the a****ience.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Cool. Nice to see they are having a proper Maes B.

I think the first one I went to was Pencoed....1998 ish. Then I also did Anglesey, Llanelli, Ty Ddewi and Meifod. All good fun. Like you though, I was 16 to 21. Probably still worth going over there for the gigs and the a****ience.
    Its great and probably the most value for money music festival going when you compare it to others, although the bands can be hit and miss, pretty sure the gigs are at the old Doctor Who experience building this year which is fairly far from Maes B so not sure how that will play out (doubt many will bother)

Cymdeithas yr Iaith are hosting gigs at Clwb Ifor all week at £10 a gig which might effect Maes B