+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warnock says the four players they have signed so far may have to be enough

Warnock says the four players they have signed so far may have to be enough

... I'm beginning to get the impression that the Grujic loan deal was always going to be the last .. ?

Re: Warnock says the four players they have signed so far may have to be enough

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    ... I'm beginning to get the impression that the Grujic loan deal was always going to be the last .. ?
    Without 2 new midfielders we’re going to be relegated by Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Without 2 new midfielders we’re going to be relegated by Xmas
    It would be difficult to disagree with that.

C'mon Neil, you know we need to add to what we've got to stand a fighting chance of staying up.

It's also worth remembering that two of our signings (Smithies & Cunningham) are back up, therefore we'll start the season with just two new additions to our starting lineup ... that's woefully inadequate.
    I don't know if Warnock is just being canny here and perhaps he does sign 3-4 new players, but this is starting to take the shine off the euphoria surrounding the club since our promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

C'mon Neil, you know we need to add to what we've got to stand a fighting chance of staying up.

It's also worth remembering that two of our signings (Smithies & Cunningham) are back up, therefore we'll start the season with just two new additions to our starting lineup ... that's woefully inadequate.
    I don't know if Warnock is just being canny here and perhaps he does sign 3-4 new players, but this is starting to take the shine off the euphoria surrounding the club since our promotion.
    Was thinking last night that where I was counting down the days and weeks to the start of the season, I've lost some of the enthusiasm and now am just hoping we aren't embarrassed at this level. I still can't believe he envisaged going into the season with a squad of similar ability as last season..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We are going to sign a midfielder. He said similar things last year and then we signed Bogle, Bryson and Feeney. I'd bring back Bryson if all else fails.

Warnock said at the start of the summer we’d have 10 million to spend and everyone worried about that too. He’s managing expectations and not letting on we have money to spend.

We are desperate for a midfielder and I think ever if we get 3 players in we would still probably go down. I don’t understand why people get worked up about it though, just enjoy it being up is a bonus and even if we go down as long as it’s managed properly the club is in a much stronger position than it’s ever been in.

Don't panic lads, the fabulous three up front will save us. Whatever the opposition score, we'll get one more. So be it if we have to win every game 6-5 or 7-6, these are the cards we have been dealt. Keep the faith

I'd be amazed if Warnock is happy with just four new signings - if Des Parrot is right in what he said about the wage structure of the club in another thread, it's no wonder we're struggling to get people in.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Warnock said at the start of the summer we’d have 10 million to spend and everyone worried about that too. He’s managing expectations and not letting on we have money to spend.

We are desperate for a midfielder and I think ever if we get 3 players in we would still probably go down. I don’t understand why people get worked up about it though, just enjoy it being up is a bonus and even if we go down as long as it’s managed properly the club is in a much stronger position than it’s ever been in.
    That's just it though - if we get relegated no one will enjoy the ride, to say otherwise would just be kidding ourselves. We all know how the football can impact our lives, I know it puts a real downer on my weekend whenever we lose ... so imagine that throughout a season.
    In all honesty, has there been a relegated club where its fans enjoyed "the ride"?

Why do we have to adopt a "feast or famine" type approach to life in the Premier League ... could we not try and find some middle ground?

Sounds like you could do with getting a bit of perspective, ruining your weekend?!

We’ve been promoted and haven’t spent much money so we are going to lose more than we win.

We have an outside chance of staying up but are going to get a few hidings. If that’s going to ruin your weekend I suggest maybe you should start preparing yourself for a shit year.

That's just it though - if we get relegated no one will enjoy the ride, to say otherwise would just be kidding ourselves. We all know how the football can impact our lives, I know it puts a real downer on my weekend whenever we lose ... so imagine that throughout a season.
    In all honesty, has there been a relegated club where its fans enjoyed "the ride"?

Why do we have to adopt a "feast or famine" type approach to life in the Premier League ... could we not try and find some middle ground?
    I'm not sure that even if we spent 3 times what we have so far that we'd be that much better off. It's about getting the right players in, not just expensive players. I think NW is doing the right thing in trying to maintain that balance, but has run into the same problem we have always had in Cardiff - we're not in London and therefore we're not particularly attractive for a player.

I think if the right player(s) came up then VT would back NW in the market - it's just we're not in a position to dictate so it was always likely that if players came then it would be late in the day once the bigger clubs have completed their business.

Bournemouth have just spent £25M on a midfielder, so I'm hoping Arter and/or Gosling become available now to help them balance their books. We are where we are right now - almost certainly a Yo-Yo club for a few years. Personally I can see the longer game even if this year might be painful, though I'm still confident that a couple of decent midfield players will make us properly competitive in many games.

We're going to lose at least 15 times this season. Everton finished 8th and lost 15 games, and everyone below them lost at least that. You're going to have to get used to losing pretty quickly. We might not even enjoy the ride if we stay up but we've got to take it for what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...Premier_League

So, tell me how you feel after the City have lost/been smashed? Put you on a high/indifferent/think about it occasionally/not too bothered/ it's just a game of football/ ce'st sera sera?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We're going to lose at least 15 times this season. Everton finished 8th and lost 15 games, and everyone below them lost at least that. You're going to have to get used to losing pretty quickly. We might not even enjoy the ride if we stay up but we've got to take it for what it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...Premier_League
    Oh, I have got the t-shirt when it comes to seeing the City lose/get relegated. I have followed them in the dark days of the old Fourth Division and crowds of 2,000. I have never seen them play at Wembley or play a game in the Premier League.

So I AM used to seeing the City lose in my time.

So, tell me how you feel after the City have lost/been smashed? Put you on a high/indifferent/think about it occasionally/not too bothered/ it's just a game of football/ ce'st sera sera?
    I think most people on here will feel like shit - but this season I have NO expectations of doing anything than get a feel for how the Premier League has changed since we were last there, and how much we are going to have to raise our game to compete.

I'll take the positives out of individual players and moments rather than the result, complain how shit the refereeing was and how the smaller teams are never given any decisions, and move on to looking forward to the next game - which is pretty much how I have had to be over the 47 years since I started following City.

We'll all survive and if we get better facilities and gradually improve the Club off the pitch then those will also be positives from the season that we'd never have had otherwise.

Oh, I have got the t-shirt when it comes to seeing the City lose/get relegated. I have followed them in the dark days of the old Fourth Division and crowds of 2,000. I have never seen them play at Wembley or play a game in the Premier League.

So I AM used to seeing the City lose in my time.
    So I don't know what you expect from this season? Even if we finish 10th, we'll lose far more games than we win. It doesn't matter if we strengthen or not, that's an absolute given.

We'll get players through the door; we could've gone onto some 3rd/4th choice targets ages ago and people would've moaned about the quality we were bringing in.

There's been countless targets; some of which the deals are clearly dead, some others are still very much alive.

Lets hope it's a busy few days! Glad the transfer window shuts this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    So I don't know what you expect from this season? Even if we finish 10th, we'll lose far more games than we win. It doesn't matter if we strengthen or not, that's an absolute given.
    I'd like us to have a fighting chance of staying up. I don't see that with the squad we have.

I'd like us to have a fighting chance of staying up. I don't see that with the squad we have.
    We got 30 points in 2013/14 with a worse team, worse manager and in a tougher league. Burnley finished 7th for crying out loud, the Premier League isn't as good as people make out!

Burnley managed to enjoy their first season. Think we should recognise that the weaker the team is the more that a strong home advantage will be relied on and we, the fans, will need to take the lead.

However, I can't see anyone being happy with just four players in. We need 2 more so should be hunting the right deals, although what Warnock says to the press and what Warnock thinks behind the scenes aren't always the same.

I don't believe for a second we won't bring any in. As we get closer to the deadline, clubs will want players shifted.

Can’t believe we can’t get that Ryan woods on board? Surely, partic if he was thinking of going to the jacks? Or the guy wolves had on loan last year? They are hardly top notch on a fortune already are they.....

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Can’t believe we can’t get that Ryan woods on board? Surely, partic if he was thinking of going to the jacks? Or the guy wolves had on loan last year? They are hardly top notch on a fortune already are they.....
    With regards to N'Diaye, Warnock said that the 'package' was a bit beyond us. So I'd assume there was a loan fee, 100% of wages covered, agent fee etc. It was probably more like a transfer fee all inclusive, which would see us only have the player for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky Tree View Post
    With regards to N'Diaye, Warnock said that the 'package' was a bit beyond us. So I'd assume there was a loan fee, 100% of wages covered, agent fee etc. It was probably more like a transfer fee all inclusive, which would see us only have the player for a year.
    Worth a slight risk though? Might be the diff that keeps us up? The old chestnut of is it easier to stay in the premier league, or get promoted too?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Worth a slight risk though? Might be the diff that keeps us up? The old chestnut of is it easier to stay in the premier league, or get promoted too?
    I'd say so yeah. Unfortunately the club are trying to be prudent.. and that's fair enough I guess.