+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Arms Park

O/T Arms Park

I see the WRU is readying a £20 million bid for the facility, with the Blues having previously suggested they'll be leaving in 2022 when their lease is up. Cardiff Athletics Club really are an awkward, archaic bunch aren't they ? Long overdue that stadium getting demolished, it's quite a big eye sore these day.

Re: O/T Arms Park

Are the Blues coming back to the CCS?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    You'd like to think not.

I imagine if the WRU get the land a new stadium will be developed on the site, in conjunction with other developments. I imagine they'd move in there, but no idea where they'd go for the duration of any new stadium being constructed. Leckwith ?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

£1million income a year in car parking fees
    Glanmors gap giving them the keys to the kingdom of heaven as far as the rugby stadium and wru are concerned

Peter Thomas nearly out of the frame

Debt free No need to move

£20 million is cheap

And where would the athletic club go

The athletics stadium is available.

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    £1million income a year in car parking fees
    Glanmors gap giving them the keys to the kingdom of heaven as far as the rugby stadium and wru are concerned

Peter Thomas nearly out of the frame

Debt free No need to move

£20 million is cheap

And where would the athletic club go
    £20 million does seem cheap to be fair, but I'm sure if the WRU wants to badly enough, they will get it. The stadium in my opinion has to go, it's a dump now. Worse than Ninian Park, nearly 9 years later and in a central location. That stadium without a doubt has to go. Athletics club, like another poster has said, could go to leckwith ?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    £20 million does seem cheap to be fair, but I'm sure if the WRU wants to badly enough, they will get it. The stadium in my opinion has to go, it's a dump now. Worse than Ninian Park, nearly 9 years later and in a central location. That stadium without a doubt has to go. Athletics club, like another poster has said, could go to leckwith ?
    If it was me I’d be holding onto the ownership of the land and letting the wru rent it off me and develop it to their hearts content

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    If it was me I’d be holding onto the ownership of the land and letting the wru rent it off me and develop it to their hearts content
    Aye, that is the dream situation, but I don't think the Athletics club are that co-operative.

No chance. Their fans wouldn't travel to CCS, and they'd look even more ridiculous now the capacity is 33k.

My niece is a sports injury physio and was recently at a Blues meeting at the CCS. Do they still have offices there or just rent a meeting room? Or is it a sign of what's coming?

First Team

I seem to remember it is far more complex than you would have thought. They was some sort of restrictive covenant on the land and an agreement with all the associated sports club that they all had to sign up to any deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    I seem to remember it is far more complex than you would have thought. They was some sort of restrictive covenant on the land and an agreement with all the associated sports club that they all had to sign up to any deal.
    The land can only be used for playing sport on apparently but I’m sure that the WRU can walk all over that

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    The land can only be used for playing sport on apparently but I’m sure that the WRU can walk all over that
    How on earth can that be a thing? Easy solution, build the new arena Cardiff council so badly wants on the land and house a basketball team for the BBL in it. That would count wouldn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    How on earth can that be a thing? Easy solution, build the new arena Cardiff council so badly wants on the land and house a basketball team for the BBL in it. That would count wouldn't it ?
    To protect the rugby club, CCS has the same. Stops an owner of a football/rugby club buying the club and then selling the land for housing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    To protect the rugby club, CCS has the same. Stops an owner of a football/rugby club buying the club and then selling the land for housing etc.
    Council and WRU will just have to form a BBL team then.