+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Huddlestone

Tom Huddlestone

Latest to be linked

Re: Tom Huddlestone

Decent player in a passing side. However he doesn’t have the legs for our style.

Heisenberg

Is he even good enough for Derby anymore?

Derby fans in the main don’t want him to go which can only be a good sign.

https://twitter.com/dcfcfans/status/...621118977?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    Derby fans in the main don’t want him to go which can only be a good sign.

https://twitter.com/dcfcfans/status/...621118977?s=21
    Seems a bit of a mixed view. They credit his excellent passing ability but they're saying his legs have gone and he's easily bypassed.

great player, 5 years ago. Looks like we are starting to panic buy someone

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Seems a bit of a mixed view. They credit his excellent passing ability but they're saying his legs have gone and he's easily bypassed.
    We've got engine and legs in Ralls and Gunnars, Huddlestone is a better passer of the ball than both. I'd take him, we'd be stronger with him than without.

He's 31-32 in December. His legs shouldn't have gone at that age. The fact is he's never had a lot of energy but is an excellent passer of the ball which should add something different to our midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    He's 31-32 in December. His legs shouldn't have gone at that age. The fact is he's never had a lot of energy but is an excellent passer of the ball which should add something different to our midfield.
    I'd keep Tomlin before Huddlestone if we're going to become immobile in midfield...

Wrong side of 30 and hasn't exactly been injury free throughout his career. But a position we definitely need to strengthen.
    We can probably pick up better for less from abroad but we all know that won't happen

I'd take him plus another midfielder similar to Woods/Arter, I'd be happy with our business then.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Wrong side of 30 and hasn't exactly been injury free throughout his career. But a position we definitely need to strengthen.
    We can probably pick up better for less from abroad but we all know that won't happen
    I agree with this. I find it hard be critical of Warnock as he's earned enough grace at this club to still be a legend even if we don't even get a point next season, however (yes the inevitable however) it's like we have Jacob Rees-Mogg running our transfer policy with our absolute refusal to look beyond these shores for any players. The type of midfielders that would improve us are churned out on the continent for fun and we could strengthen our midfield as it is at present with very little expenditure.

lf you had offered me Huddlestone the last time we went up I would have bit your hand off but now I'd say no thanks.

If we are struggling to meet the valuation of players who can fit into our squads with "premier league experience" and we insist on being the Brexit banner club then I wish we would use the funds to pick off young gems like Tom Bayliss at Coventry. We should have done that last time with players like Callum Wilson and Keiran Trippier.

I also would like to see us move for Freeman from QPR.

F*ck me, he has the mobility of a rock. Nowhere near good enough for the prem. We need to keep hold of Tomlin and give him a chance as an impact sub. He did it twice last season. Norwich home and Ipswich away maybe? Cant remember. Only Hoilett can match him for pure footballing ability, surely that can help us but Warnock only wants hard workers.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I agree with this. I find it hard be critical of Warnock as he's earned enough grace at this club to still be a legend even if we don't even get a point next season, however (yes the inevitable however) it's like we have Jacob Rees-Mogg running our transfer policy with our absolute refusal to look beyond these shores for any players. The type of midfielders that would improve us are churned out on the continent for fun and we could strengthen our midfield as it is at present with very little expenditure.

lf you had offered me Huddlestone the last time we went up I would have bit your hand off but now I'd say no thanks.

If we are struggling to meet the valuation of players who can fit into our squads with "premier league experience" and we insist on being the Brexit banner club then I wish we would use the funds to pick off young gems like Tom Bayliss at Coventry. We should have done that last time with players like Callum Wilson and Keiran Trippier.

I also would like to see us move for Freeman from QPR.
    The issue is no European scouting network, and whilst you get players hawked around on youtube videos the club are reluctant to take that route because you don't know what you are getting. The players we have taken from abroad have been recommended by a trusted agent to Warnock and have been low financial risk (Damour).

The clubs signing from, have an established scoutng network, im not even sure we have a great network in the UK. Then we are stuck on players that our coaching team can see and get their reputations easily. Its not easy to get a European network in place.

There are a lot of teams in Europe looking for the hidden gem, if it was so straight forward everyone would be doing it.

We need a Gary Medel.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    We need a Gary Medel.
    We need an ngolo kante

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    The issue is no European scouting network, and whilst you get players hawked around on youtube videos the club are reluctant to take that route because you don't know what you are getting. The players we have taken from abroad have been recommended by a trusted agent to Warnock and have been low financial risk (Damour).

The clubs signing from, have an established scoutng network, im not even sure we have a great network in the UK. Then we are stuck on players that our coaching team can see and get their reputations easily. Its not easy to get a European network in place.

There are a lot of teams in Europe looking for the hidden gem, if it was so straight forward everyone would be doing it.
    I agree and it is frustrating. I suppose we've got where we are a bit too early and are paying the consequences for it.

I don't think we necessarily need gems though, there are literally 100s of centre midfielders playing on the continent who can do a better job than Bamba there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    We need an ngolo kante
    Every team needs one of those.

Back to Huddlestone: I believe Malky tried to sign him and I think it would have been a great signing at the time. Now, not so much. I can't believe the trouble we're having signing players. Cardiff is great place to live, we've got great fans and we can offer EPL football. This is getting desperate WTF?

Can we sign overseas players after Thursday? Are there loopholes for loans etc?

I agree and it is frustrating. I suppose we've got where we are a bit too early and are paying the consequences for it.

I don't think we necessarily need gems though, there are literally 100s of centre midfielders playing on the continent who can do a better job than Bamba there.
    Yes i agree we have got here a bit too early with Warnock. The clubs entire system started from scratch when he came here less than 2 years ago.

I agree with you there are players on the continent who could do a job, however we would have to do our research into their attitude, how they would settle, who would be in our price range, who would come, and who hasn't been scouted by other teams networks.

I think all fans would like to see players coming in from other leagues, its a sense of the unknown. The hope of finding a gem and selling him on for millions, but i can understand why the club are doing things as they are.

We're scraping the bottom of the barrel if true.

Really don’t understand the negativity on this.

He played 46 games for the team that finished in the play offs last season.
    He’d be in a holding role, so ‘legs’ won’t be a big thing. If you want legs then play Patterson.

He’s not old, he’s cheap, he’s got loads of experience, won’t be on massive wages, good attitude, fits the big and strong Warnock mould. He can pass and tackle well.

Totally eclisped Grujic and Gunnar at Pride Park.

I’d have him here definitely.

He’s an improvement on our current defensive midfield options of Gunnar and Bamba !

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Really don’t understand the negativity on this.

He played 46 games for the team that finished in the play offs last season.
    He’d be in a holding role, so ‘legs’ won’t be a big thing. If you want legs then play Patterson.

He’s not old, he’s cheap, he’s got loads of experience, won’t be on massive wages, good attitude, fits the big and strong Warnock mould. He can pass and tackle well.

Totally eclisped Grujic and Gunnar at Pride Park.

I’d have him here definitely.

He’s an improvement on our current defensive midfield options of Gunnar and Bamba !
    Can't disagree with any of that.

Our record of bringing in bargains off the continent is absolutely shocking. Cornelius, Fred, Guerra, Bergstaller, Cala, Daehli, Berger, the other Swede, the French full back...

Medel was decent but couldn’t wait to jump ship when we went down.

The only minor success I can think of is Zohore and he very nearly failed as well.

Swansea were supposed to be experts in the Spanish market it went well for them for years, but recently it’s been a disaster and they just spent £15m on a centre mid who’d done well out there who was a complete flop.
    Just after a similar amount on a striker who did bugger all

In fact they’ve failed with loads in the last few years/ their successes have come with UK based players like Mawson recently.

It’s not clear cut, there’s good reason why British players cost more and it’s not because managers and chairmen are naive

Some posters have moaned about our lack of ability to pass the ball, well this guy is probably as good as I've seen at championship level at receiving the ball and calmly spray it about for fun. I'm sure it's something he would still be able to do in the PL also.

Think he'd be the perfect link between defence and attack and increase the chance of us actually transitioning from defence to counter attack efficiently.