+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tom Huddlestone

Re: Tom Huddlestone

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I agree with this. I find it hard be critical of Warnock as he's earned enough grace at this club to still be a legend even if we don't even get a point next season, however (yes the inevitable however) it's like we have Jacob Rees-Mogg running our transfer policy with our absolute refusal to look beyond these shores for any players. The type of midfielders that would improve us are churned out on the continent for fun and we could strengthen our midfield as it is at present with very little expenditure.

lf you had offered me Huddlestone the last time we went up I would have bit your hand off but now I'd say no thanks.

If we are struggling to meet the valuation of players who can fit into our squads with "premier league experience" and we insist on being the Brexit banner club then I wish we would use the funds to pick off young gems like Tom Bayliss at Coventry. We should have done that last time with players like Callum Wilson and Keiran Trippier.

I also would like to see us move for Freeman from QPR.
    By the way I fully agree that we should also be looking for a few decent young lower league players whilst we hav money and Premiership football to offer.

They also wouldn’t take squad places away

I find this an absolutely fascinating and surprising rumour. First, we have two purveyors of "anti football" in Messrs Warnock and Pulis who are supposed to be after Huddlestone who is still one of the finest passers of the ball in the domestic game. I'll admit that the last type of midfield player I'd have thought we'd go for would be a Whitts style quarterback passer, but, perhaps, I shouldn't have been - after all, Ben Turner hits a forty five yard pass which lands at his target's feet and everyone says he hoofed it and got lucky, Huddlestone hits the same pass and it's proof of his outstanding vision.
    The point I'm trying to make there is that a player like Huddlestone coming in doesn't mean we will be changing our approach any time soon, it'll just be that we'll have someone who is better at hitting the sort of long balls to launch counter attacks that we rely on so much.
    A bonus would be that someone like Huddlestone would give us a bit of a sense of order that we've tended to lack when protecting a lead and he'd also help make it slightly easier to implement a Plan B which may necessitate better ball retention.
    There has to be a downside to signing Huddlestone of course and, for me, the biggest one by some distance is a lack of mobility (something it seems to me that people were saying about him a decade ago) which means that, just as it used to be with Whitts, you need to have others who are willing and able to do his running - my guess is that there would be quite a bit more running to do for a 31, soon to be 32, year old Huddlestone than there was for the man who did what he wanted.
    On balance, while I take on board that there are many reasons to feel this move wouldn't work, I think it's a risk worth taking - always assuming there's any truth behind the speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    By the way I fully agree that we should also be looking for a few decent young lower league players whilst we hav money and Premiership football to offer.

They also wouldn’t take squad places away
    Not seen a great deal of Tom Bayliss who Gringo mentions, but from what I have seen, he's someone I'd love us to sign - I'm not saying he'd play much for the first team in the coming season, but, if we were to go down, I could see him becoming a first team regular in 19/20 who we could make a tidy profit on if we wanted to sell him.

With the pace we have up front, maybe the lack of pace that Huddlestone would bring wouldn't be such a bad thing. If he's playing behind Murphy, Reid, Hoilett and Zohore then I wouldn't want him venturing too far forward.

Our record of bringing in bargains off the continent is absolutely shocking. Cornelius, Fred, Guerra, Bergstaller, Cala, Daehli, Berger, the other Swede, the French full back...

Medel was decent but couldn’t wait to jump ship when we went down.

The only minor success I can think of is Zohore and he very nearly failed as well.

Swansea were supposed to be experts in the Spanish market it went well for them for years, but recently it’s been a disaster and they just spent £15m on a centre mid who’d done well out there who was a complete flop.
    Just after a similar amount on a striker who did bugger all

In fact they’ve failed with loads in the last few years/ their successes have come with UK based players like Mawson recently.

It’s not clear cut, there’s good reason why British players cost more and it’s not because managers and chairmen are naive
    I can't think any team in the top 15 besides Burnely that doesn't rely on foreign players.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I can't think any team in the top 15 besides Burnely that doesn't rely on foreign players.
    Spurs ? Without counting, they seem to have a nucleus of British players..

And the players in the top sides aren’t exactly cheap unknowns .

Besides which, we aren’t really top 15

At the moment anything is better than Bamba or Richards filling in. Have we got any youth players who can play there?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    With the pace we have up front, maybe the lack of pace that Huddlestone would bring wouldn't be such a bad thing. If he's playing behind Murphy, Reid, Hoilett and Zohore then I wouldn't want him venturing too far forward.
    Exactly (add NML to the mix), I'm surprised at TOBW's comment, I thought we were after a pass making quarter back to hit the channels & release the pace. Gunnarson is the stopper, Ralls the mobility, Huddlestone or similar the trigger. Paterson, Damour & a n other the inter-change.

Really don’t understand the negativity on this.

He played 46 games for the team that finished in the play offs last season.
    He’d be in a holding role, so ‘legs’ won’t be a big thing. If you want legs then play Patterson.

He’s not old, he’s cheap, he’s got loads of experience, won’t be on massive wages, good attitude, fits the big and strong Warnock mould. He can pass and tackle well.

Totally eclisped Grujic and Gunnar at Pride Park.

I’d have him here definitely.

He’s an improvement on our current defensive midfield options of Gunnar and Bamba !
    to be fair that is the other side of the coin, and I agree with what you are saying

No thanks. Past his best.
    Spedger

I've always been a Huddlestone fan so wouldn't say no but I'd prefer Arter or Gosling from Bournemouth now that they've confirmed Lerma has signed. I'd also like us to hijack the McGinn deal or bid for Woods.

Really don’t understand the negativity on this.

He played 46 games for the team that finished in the play offs last season.
    He’d be in a holding role, so ‘legs’ won’t be a big thing. If you want legs then play Patterson.

He’s not old, he’s cheap, he’s got loads of experience, won’t be on massive wages, good attitude, fits the big and strong Warnock mould. He can pass and tackle well.

Totally eclisped Grujic and Gunnar at Pride Park.

I’d have him here definitely.

He’s an improvement on our current defensive midfield options of Gunnar and Bamba !

I agree completely. He better than anything we have, has PL experience and won't cost too much. We'd have plenty off pace ahead of him and a great engine in Ralls alongside.

After last weekend, I really don't want to see Bamba in midfield again !

He looks very good at derby, not sure he would do a job in the prem, no doubt warnock has a few up his sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by Blue blood View Post
    I agree completely. He better than anything we have, has PL experience and won't cost too much. We'd have plenty off pace ahead of him and a great engine in Ralls alongside.

After last weekend, I really don't want to see Bamba in midfield again !
    I think the important point you make is, he's better that what we've got.
    The only problem I can see with him is a lack of pace and consequently a need to play in a midfield three, as Derby did last season.

I thought you should have signed him the last time you were in the Premier League. I think the only answer he is to a Cardiff midfield question this season is "If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel because you've wasted a whole summer on one player, which player do you sign?"

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    I thought you should have signed him the last time you were in the Premier League. I think the only answer he is to a Cardiff midfield question this season is "If you're scraping the bottom of the barrel because you've wasted a whole summer on one player, which player do you sign?"
    The Grujic situation is your latest pet project then is it ?. How long are you going to make this one last - three years like the last one on Tan ?.

Things must be really bad re: Tomlin. Surely this was the role
    He was bought to perform.
    Personally I would like to see him given a go.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    The Grujic situation is your latest pet project then is it ?. How long are you going to make this one last - three years like the last one on Tan ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Barmy View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Barmy View Post
    Let him have a go by all means, but not with us in the Premier League please.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Surely Tomlin is a very different player. He’s more suited to playing just behind the striker whereas Huddlestone plays deep.

Huddlestone isn’t as talented but is far better defensively ( so am I compared to Tomlin mind)

😂

Surely Tomlin is a very different player. He’s more suited to playing just behind the striker whereas Huddlestone plays deep.

Huddlestone isn’t as talented but is far better defensively ( so am I compared to Tomlin mind)

��
    Of course he is. I just think for all his weaknesses, he'd have that rare skill of being able to unlock defences by threading passes to Murphy, Reid etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnojek View Post
    Of course he is. I just think for all his weaknesses, he'd have that rare skill of being able to unlock defences by threading passes to Murphy, Reid etc.
    Good option for the bench IMHO, but may be moved on to save money

Good option for the bench IMHO, but may be moved on to save money
    You're probably right but saving money with all the riches the PL offers seems strange.