+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the Left Is So Afraid of Jordan Peterson

Why the Left Is So Afraid of Jordan Peterson

The Canadian psychology professor’s stardom is evidence that leftism is on the decline—and deeply vulnerable.

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/567110/

Re: Why the Left Is So Afraid of Jordan Peterson

An interesting article, and before the usual suspects start crying, The Atlantic is a centre-left publication!

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-atlantic/

Very intresting read thanks for both uploads , I now understand the word Jungian.

Peterson appears to be a political self-help analyst, I'm guessing left wing politics will now deem him right wing , however he could deliver the same verdict on right wing politics in years to come and be hated by then .

It's a strange world , in as much I found myself as a Labour party voter all my life feeling uncomfortable with the path the current Labour party is following and disagree with it , however I'm no right winger and never will be , I'm lost in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    An interesting article, and before the usual suspects start crying, The Atlantic is a centre-left publication!

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-atlantic/
    Politics Edit
    Throughout its 159-year history, The Atlantic has been reluctant to recommend candidates in elections. In 1860, three years into publication, The Atlantic's then-editor James Russell Lowell endorsed Abraham Lincoln for his first run for president and also endorsed the abolition of slavery.[40] In 1964, 104 years later, Edward Weeks wrote on behalf of the editorial board in endorsing Lyndon B. Johnson and rebuking Barry Goldwater's candidacy.[41] In 2016, the editorial board endorsed a presidential candidate, for the third time since the magazine's founding: Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, in a rebuke of Donald Trump's candidacy

I'm actually left minded in the Corbyn sense, not so much a fan of the illusionists like Blair and Obama who set out to distract the masses, while amassing great personal wealth. You can probably include the Bushes, Clintons and Cameron, etc., too. Modern politics is a charade, with the main players hiding behind masks of convenience. What Peterson does so well, is to take a peak behind those masks.

I'm actually left minded in the Corbyn sense, not so much a fan of the illusionists like Blair and Obama who set out to distract the masses, while amassing great personal wealth. You can probably include the Bushes, Clintons and Cameron, etc., too. Modern politics is a charade, with the main players hiding behind masks of convenience. What Peterson does so well, is to take a peak behind those masks.
    Yea clever stuff , did you notice the name of the creator of the The Atlantic in 1878 no other than ( Frank Underwood ) ,now where has that name been recently used ?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yea clever stuff , did you notice the name of the creator of the The Atlantic in 1878 no other than ( Frank Underwood ) ,now where has that name been recently used ?
    Well spotted! Henry Longfellow too.

Well, having read that article, I can take a decent guess about the sort of things Jordan Peterson writes, but it did assume everyone reading it was familiar with the doctor's work.

I'm in favour of the basic philosophy of political correctness, but, as someone who has always regarded themselves as a supporter of parties on the left, I accept that shrill individuals getting worked up about nothing in particular who give the "political correctness gone mad" crowd yet another opportunity to repeat their mantra cause great harm to the cause of left wing politics.

The left isn't afraid of Jordan Peterson. You shouldn't mix up exasperation and fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    The left isn't afraid of Jordan Peterson. You shouldn't mix up exasperation and fear.
    I'm not mixing up anything, as I didn't write the article. Would you like to expand on the point you have just made? Your comment is worthless otherwise.

I'm not mixing up anything, as I didn't write the article. Would you like to expand on the point you have just made? Your comment is worthless otherwise.
    Fair enough, the author of the piece shouldn't mix up exasperation and fear (although you have quoted the article in a way that could be mistaken for your own words). I don't think people are afraid of Peterson but dispirited at the numbers that believe his pseudo-intellectual mumbo-jumbo.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/...ual-we-deserve

I would imagine even since his Channel 4 interview most people in the UK wouldn't have a clue who he is.

Fair enough, the author of the piece shouldn't mix up exasperation and fear (although you have quoted the article in a way that could be mistaken for your own words).
    The thread title and introductory text was a copy & paste job from the article, which you would have noticed straight away if you had read it

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I would imagine even since his Channel 4 interview most people in the UK wouldn't have a clue who he is.
    Funnily enough, I was having a chat with an extended family member who has just graduated from a Russel Group university. I'd always had him down as being a paid-up member of the identity politics brigade, due to his age and environment. I couldn't have been more further from the truth. He was fully aware of all the BS that is currently going on around us, and what's more, so does his friends who come from all over the world. He said his social media is full of young people sharing ideas and conversation about their skeptism of current wisdom, particularly the vision pushed by the popular media. I was quite surprised by all of this, so I wouldn't be too quick to pidgeon hole people as niche Channel 4 viewers sitting in their bedsits!

Funnily enough, I was having a chat with an extended family member who has just graduated from a Russel Group university. I'd always had him down as being a paid-up member of the identity politics brigade, due to his age and environment. I couldn't have been more further from the truth. He was fully aware of all the BS that is currently going on around us, and what's more, so does his friends who come from all over the world. He said his social media is full of young people sharing ideas and conversation about their skeptism of current wisdom, particularly the vision pushed by the popular media. I was quite surprised by all of this, so I wouldn't be too quick to pidgeon hole people as niche Channel 4 viewers sitting in their bedsits!
    So is he a public schoolboy anti-leftist Corbynite like you?

So is he a public schoolboy anti-leftist Corbynite like you?
    Not quite, but he is leaving the UK. Too many clever tw@ts here maybe?

PS what is an anti-leftist Corbynite?

Not quite, but he is leaving the UK. Too many clever tw@ts here maybe?

PS what is an anti-leftist Corbynite?
    Not sure really but it is where you have placed yourself given recent postings.

You should tell him how great it is going to be after we leave the EU, that might convince him to stay.

Not sure really but it is where you have placed yourself given recent postings.

You should tell him how great it is going to be after we leave the EU, that might convince him to stay.
    Is anti-Blairite the same as anti-leftist? Surely you have realised there are two groups on the left?

Is anti-Blairite the same as anti-leftist? Surely you have realised there are two groups on the left?
    So the left in America/Canada which Peterson holds a heavy dislike for is similar to the blue bit of labour in your opinion?

So the left in America/Canada which Peterson holds a heavy dislike for is similar to the blue bit of labour in your opinion?
    Both the left and the right play the identity politics game, besides can you tell me what's the differences between the Clintons, Bushes, Blair, Obama, Cameron and May?

BTW if you read the article it says Peterson is not aligned to any political party. That's the second time you have slipped up!

Both the left and the right play the identity politics game, besides can you tell me what's the differences between the Clintons, Bushes, Blair, Obama, Cameron and May?

BTW if you read the article it says Peterson is not aligned to any political party. That's the second time you have slipped up!
    Where did I say he is aligned to a political party?

Where did I say he is aligned to a political party?
    You are having a bad day at the office today, you just said "So the left in America/Canada which Peterson holds a heavy dislike for is similar to the blue bit of labour in your opinion?"

He's a psychologist, which you would have known if you had bothered to read the article The article clearly states the left or the right can't attack him because his observations applies equally to both sides.

You are having a bad day at the office today, you just said "So the left in America/Canada which Peterson holds a heavy dislike for is similar to the blue bit of labour in your opinion?"

He's a psychologist, which you would have known if you had bothered to read the article The article clearly states the left or the right can't attack him because his observations applies equally to both sides.
    So just for clarification which political party did I say he was aligned to?

So just for clarification which political party did I say he was aligned to?
    You said "the left in America/Canada which Peterson holds a heavy dislike for", so by a process of elimination, that means you think he supports the right and the person you hate the most! I think you may have already messed up any chance you had of understanding what he has to say, due to your confirmation bias.

BTW have you been out for a long beer lunch?

Fair enough, the author of the piece shouldn't mix up exasperation and fear (although you have quoted the article in a way that could be mistaken for your own words). I don't think people are afraid of Peterson but dispirited at the numbers that believe his pseudo-intellectual mumbo-jumbo.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/...ual-we-deserve
    I have a masters in psychology as well as two other degrees and I can say for a fact that what Jordan Peterson says and writes is not “pseudo intellectual mumbo jumbo”. Try watching his discussion with Camille Paglia regarding their interpretation of intersectionalist feminism through the lens of Jung’s animus/anima theories. Peterson is adamant that western societies need both left and right wing personality types to work together if our culture is to endure and our economy to flourish.