+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: FT: BOURNEMOUTH 2 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Re: BOURNEMOUTH v CARDIFF CITY. Post match thread

It's funny how we all see things, but I thought Bennett was one of our best today.
    And I think Patterson is one of our best chances to score goals.
    He is not that bad in the mid. It didn't happen today for him but he was busy.
    We really wern't that far off today.

First half poor but second half far more encouraging.

Love Sol but not a premier league midfielder. He telegraphs his passes too much. Hopefully the Spanish lad who I know nothing about is the answer to our holding midfield problems.

Arter will give much needed control in midfield and it's much needed. Murphy and Reid are superb additions and looking forward to them getting better as they settle. Think Kenneth will be superb at this level and was missed today.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    Bennett was one of our best players this game
    I thought he put in a confident performance.

Etheridge
    Peltier Bamba/Manga Morrison Bennett
    Arter Ralls Betis-lad
    Hoilett Reid Murphy

I don't think we discovered any new weaknesses and played ok for 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there. Disappointing as slow starters Bournemouth was a potential win but most other results have gone our way thus far.

A fair result in the end.

Paterson doesn't look in great shape and ambled around.

Peltier picking up a booking in the 4th minute for pulling the player back as he coasted past him summed up his whole afternoon really ... completely out of his depth.

NML is a bit of a one trick pony with his attempted step-overs.

Murphy was the bright spot when he came on and had something about him.

Reid will do well with the right service I feel. He was lively but didn't have a play-maker to feed him.

Bamba can't pass.

Hoilett did as best as he could and was just about the only City player in the first half to put his foot on the ball.

I think Cunnigham will eventually replace Bennett. Not that Bennett played poorly, just he doesn't look a Premier player.

Arter, Murphy and Camarasa to start against Newcastle.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    Bennett was one of our best players this game
    I thought he was too. I wonder if people watch the same game. I’ve seen someone give NML a 7 and Reid an 8. What for? And the same person gave Ralls a 6, who i thought had a good game considering he was the only actual midfielder playing. Paterson and Bamba are not midfielders. Also someone said Ward looked good. He hardly touched the ball.

I’m not knocking any of our players, and it’s one game, but let’s be honest about performances. We didn’t get outclassed, but we didn’t create much either.

Ryan Fraser and Callum Wilson were on target as Bournemouth kicked off the season with a 2-0 win over newly-promoted Cardiff at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday writes Sky Sports.

Fraser opened the scoring midway through the first half with a close-range finish, although Bournemouth should have doubled their lead minutes later.

C:WindowsTempphpA3FE.tmp

However, Cardiff goalkeeper Neil Etheridge did brilliantly to keep out Wilson's penalty, only for the striker to make up for that miss with an injury-time strike to seal the points.

As a result, Bournemouth won their opening match of a Premier Season for the first time ever, while after a five-year absence, Cardiff made a losing return to the top flight

After an evenly contested opening quarter on the south coast, the home side took the lead after a well-worked move.

Josh King's incisive through-ball sent Wilson clear in the box and the striker then pulled the ball back for the unmarked Fraser to coolly side-foot home from 10 yards out.

Eddie Howe's side should have been further ahead just past the half-hour mark when referee Kevin Friend decided Bruno Ecuele Manga had tripped Wilson in the box.

However, Etheridge - the first Filipino to play in the Premier League - guessed right and dived full length to his left to keep Wilson's well-struck penalty out.

The visitors were far more of a threat after the break, although the closest Neil Warnock's team came to levelling matters was midway in the second period when Sean Morrison somehow failed to score from virtually on the goal line.

And Bournemouth made the game safe in injury time after substitute Simon Francis got free to the right-hand byline, and his cut back was then rolled into the far corner of the goal by Wilson lurking near the penalty spot.

Opta stats

• Bournemouth registered their first win on the opening day of a Premier League season, having lost their previous three

• Cardiff have lost on the opening day in just two of their last 11 seasons (W5 D4) - but both have been in the Premier League (2013-14 and 2018-19)

• In the Premier League, Bournemouth midfielder Ryan Fraser scored with his final shot of the 2017-18 season against Swansea City and his first shot of 2018-19 against Cardiff

• Neil Warnock has never won on the opening day of a top-flight season (D1 L3), failing with four different teams - Notts County in 1991-92, Sheffield United in 2006-07, QPR in 2011-12 and Cardiff in 2018-19

• Cardiff goalkeeper Neil Etheridge became the first player from the Philippines to appear in the Premier League and was also the first goalkeeper to save a penalty on his Premier League debut since August 2013 (Allan McGregor for Hull City v Chelsea)

• There is a gap in age of 28 years and 363 days between Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe (40y 255d) and Cardiff boss Neil Warnock (69y 253d), the largest gap in age between two opposing managers on the opening day of a Premier League season

• Despite failing to score a penalty in the first half, Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson was involved in more goals in this match (2, one goal, one assist) than in his previous 13 Premier League games combined (1)

Bournemouth: Begovic; Smith (Defoe 93), S. Cook, Ake, Daniels; Brooks (Francis 67), Gosling, Surman, Fraser; Wilson (Mousset 93), King.

Subs not used: Boruc, Mings, Cook, Ibe.

Goal: Fraser 24, Wilson 90

Yellow cards: Daniels 41

Cardiff City: Etheridge; Peltier, Morrison (C), Manga, Bennett; Bamba, Paterson (Ward 63), Ralls; Mendez-Laing (Murphy 63), Hoilett, Reid (Madine 87).

Subs not used: Smithies, Richards, Cunningham, Camarasa.

Yellow cards: Peltier 4

Referee: Kevin Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Ryan Fraser and Callum Wilson were on target as Bournemouth kicked off the season with a 2-0 win over newly-promoted Cardiff at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday writes Sky Sports.

Fraser opened the scoring midway through the first half with a close-range finish, although Bournemouth should have doubled their lead minutes later.

C:WindowsTempphpA3FE.tmp

However, Cardiff goalkeeper Neil Etheridge did brilliantly to keep out Wilson's penalty, only for the striker to make up for that miss with an injury-time strike to seal the points.

As a result, Bournemouth won their opening match of a Premier Season for the first time ever, while after a five-year absence, Cardiff made a losing return to the top flight

After an evenly contested opening quarter on the south coast, the home side took the lead after a well-worked move.

Josh King's incisive through-ball sent Wilson clear in the box and the striker then pulled the ball back for the unmarked Fraser to coolly side-foot home from 10 yards out.

Eddie Howe's side should have been further ahead just past the half-hour mark when referee Kevin Friend decided Bruno Ecuele Manga had tripped Wilson in the box.

However, Etheridge - the first Filipino to play in the Premier League - guessed right and dived full length to his left to keep Wilson's well-struck penalty out.

The visitors were far more of a threat after the break, although the closest Neil Warnock's team came to levelling matters was midway in the second period when Sean Morrison somehow failed to score from virtually on the goal line.

And Bournemouth made the game safe in injury time after substitute Simon Francis got free to the right-hand byline, and his cut back was then rolled into the far corner of the goal by Wilson lurking near the penalty spot.

Opta stats

• Bournemouth registered their first win on the opening day of a Premier League season, having lost their previous three

• Cardiff have lost on the opening day in just two of their last 11 seasons (W5 D4) - but both have been in the Premier League (2013-14 and 2018-19)

• In the Premier League, Bournemouth midfielder Ryan Fraser scored with his final shot of the 2017-18 season against Swansea City and his first shot of 2018-19 against Cardiff

• Neil Warnock has never won on the opening day of a top-flight season (D1 L3), failing with four different teams - Notts County in 1991-92, Sheffield United in 2006-07, QPR in 2011-12 and Cardiff in 2018-19

• Cardiff goalkeeper Neil Etheridge became the first player from the Philippines to appear in the Premier League and was also the first goalkeeper to save a penalty on his Premier League debut since August 2013 (Allan McGregor for Hull City v Chelsea)

• There is a gap in age of 28 years and 363 days between Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe (40y 255d) and Cardiff boss Neil Warnock (69y 253d), the largest gap in age between two opposing managers on the opening day of a Premier League season

• Despite failing to score a penalty in the first half, Bournemouth striker Callum Wilson was involved in more goals in this match (2, one goal, one assist) than in his previous 13 Premier League games combined (1)

Bournemouth: Begovic; Smith (Defoe 93), S. Cook, Ake, Daniels; Brooks (Francis 67), Gosling, Surman, Fraser; Wilson (Mousset 93), King.

Subs not used: Boruc, Mings, Cook, Ibe.

Goal: Fraser 24, Wilson 90

Yellow cards: Daniels 41

Cardiff City: Etheridge; Peltier, Morrison (C), Manga, Bennett; Bamba, Paterson (Ward 63), Ralls; Mendez-Laing (Murphy 63), Hoilett, Reid (Madine 87).

Subs not used: Smithies, Richards, Cunningham, Camarasa.

Yellow cards: Peltier 4

Referee: Kevin Friend

Are you AA in disguise? Please don’t stoop to copy & paste, we don’t need that.

Why not I read it? Would rather that than have to click another link. People on here always have such weird complaints

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Are you AA in disguise? Please don’t stoop to copy & paste, we don’t need that.
    I thought the opta stats part of it was interesting if not the rest of it. And I credited where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    I thought he was too. I wonder if people watch the same game. I’ve seen someone give NML a 7 and Reid an 8. What for? And the same person gave Ralls a 6, who i thought had a good game considering he was the only actual midfielder playing. Paterson and Bamba are not midfielders. Also someone said Ward looked good. He hardly touched the ball.

I’m not knocking any of our players, and it’s one game, but let’s be honest about performances. We didn’t get outclassed, but we didn’t create much either.
    All about different opinions I guess. I wouldn't have given Reid an 8, but what for? Well for how well he shifted the ball in the final third, one two touch, looked class and sharp. Tried to make things happen with pretty much zero support from midfield.

No one deserved an 8. Think Mail's ratings of 5 and 6's was about right but we will improve from this performance - just hope it's more than other teams improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Pete View Post
    All about different opinions I guess. I wouldn't have given Reid an 8, but what for? Well for how well he shifted the ball in the final third, one two touch, looked class and sharp. Tried to make things happen with pretty much zero support from midfield.
    It is about opinions. I agree with everything you said about Reid, but it wasn’t often enough to warrant an 8. Which is why I said what for? He showed glimpses, I think he’s going to score goals, and I’m keen to see him play off ken.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    Just posted this in match thread, but it belongs here

I thought we were the better team from about 55mins onwards. Just switched off at the end. Even Bamba played better second half. Few points:

Murphy has to start
    I think Reid will prove to be a good signing
    We missed Ken, He links things so well, he’s not just about goals.
    Ralls looked at home. I thought it was a strong performance
    I think I’d rather a pairing of Bamba and Morrison
    Bennett didn’t look out of depth, but Pelts did imo
    Shame we didn’t see Camarasa
    I think Arter will make us stronger
    Camarasa and Arter need to play.
    Manga is out of his depth in the Premiership and is far too slow in general.
    I agree with another poster who said Murphy should play.

Arter and the Spanish fella to shore up midfield, Bamba back in defence where he belongs. Murphy to start, he's better than both of today's wingers. Hopefully Zahore back upfront.
    Reid didn't impress me today, no way can he be employed as a loan striker.
    No service at all though.
    Who'd have thought after all our transfer spending/dealings we'd end up at the end of our first Premier league game with Danny Ward as our main striker?!

Cardiff did not embarrass themselves yesterday, that's for sure. However alarm bells were ringing for me when the team was announced and the starting 11 highlighted how the players we have recruited this summer have left the team lacking in certain areas.

Reid starting as the lone striker was always going to work against him. I think we can all agree he's a number 10 not a 9. The moment he dropped back into a central attacking midfield role, he looked the part. Was lively picked his head up and had some joy linking up with Murphy and Hoilett. Personally yesteday, despite being relatively poor for Cardiff since joining in January, Madine should have started up top with Reid replacing Paterson in midfield. That way at least Cardiff would of had that physical presence up top. People can gripe but our options for who to play up top are limited since Cardiff did not sign an out and out striker.

Bamba starting as a defensive midfielder was another nod to Cardiff not getting their ducks in a row before the season's opener. City have Arter and Camarasa now, but the former could not play and the latter had 1 training session with the team. Of course Cardiff have Gunarsson still, but he was not available. Bamba is not a defensive midfielder, he gives it a good go but overall with Bamba forming part of our central midfield, Cardiff did not pose too much of a challenge and Bournemouth were able to quickly feed the ball to King and Wilson who would then ask questions of our defence. And for the opening goal Bamba was one of the main players who was at fault. Fraser ghosted passed him, Bamba acknowledged and tracked for about 5 yards before breaking into a walk into the box. And before you know it the ball is cutback into the edge of the 6 yard box, and there's Fraser unmarked followed by a clearly frustrated Bamba when the balls hits the back of the net.

I think looking over other Premier League starting lineups yesterday Cardiff were the only team to feature players playing out of position. There's a desperate need to get Zohore match fit, and to bolster our starting central midfield with Arter or Camarasa. Peltier looked out of his depth and the only other RB option is Jazz Richards, unleas Paterson were to drop back into his old position but I do not envisage that happening.

Tactically however I think Cardiff have to play a little higher up the pitch. In the second half the moment Cardiff pushed up 5 to 10 yards, Bournemouth's attacks were being thwarted more regularly and Cardiff had their best spell in the game. Ultimately City didn't really trouble Begovic and failed to muster any real guilt edge chances, but I'm fairly optimistic that Cardiff can give a good showing this season.

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post
    Cardiff did not embarrass themselves yesterday, that's for sure. However alarm bells were ringing for me when the team was announced and the starting 11 highlighted how the players we have recruited this summer have left the team lacking in certain areas.

Reid starting as the lone striker was always going to work against him. I think we can all agree he's a number 10 not a 9. The moment he dropped back into a central attacking midfield role, he looked the part. Was lively picked his head up and had some joy linking up with Murphy and Hoilett. Personally yesteday, despite being relatively poor for Cardiff since joining in January, Madine should have started up top with Reid replacing Paterson in midfield. That way at least Cardiff would of had that physical presence up top. People can gripe but our options for who to play up top are limited since Cardiff did not sign an out and out striker.

Bamba starting as a defensive midfielder was another nod to Cardiff not getting their ducks in a row before the season's opener. City have Arter and Camarasa now, but the former could not play and the latter had 1 training session with the team. Of course Cardiff have Gunarsson still, but he was not available. Bamba is not a defensive midfielder, he gives it a good go but overall with Bamba forming part of our central midfield, Cardiff did not pose too much of a challenge and Bournemouth were able to quickly feed the ball to King and Wilson who would then ask questions of our defence. And for the opening goal Bamba was one of the main players who was at fault. Fraser ghosted passed him, Bamba acknowledged and tracked for about 5 yards before breaking into a walk into the box. And before you know it the ball is cutback into the edge of the 6 yard box, and there's Fraser unmarked followed by a clearly frustrated Bamba when the balls hits the back of the net.

I think looking over other Premier League starting lineups yesterday Cardiff were the only team to feature players playing out of position. There's a desperate need to get Zohore match fit, and to bolster our starting central midfield with Arter or Camarasa. Peltier looked out of his depth and the only other RB option is Jazz Richards, unleas Paterson were to drop back into his old position but I do not envisage that happening.

Tactically however I think Cardiff have to play a little higher up the pitch. In the second half the moment Cardiff pushed up 5 to 10 yards, Bournemouth's attacks were being thwarted more regularly and Cardiff had their best spell in the game. Ultimately City didn't really trouble Begovic and failed to muster any real guilt edge chances, but I'm fairly optimistic that Cardiff can give a good showing this season.
    Good read just about spot on

Quote Originally Posted by SuisseBluebird View Post

Good post. Felt sorry for Reid. He could play as a 9, if we keep the ball on the deck. We did that for a 20 minute period in the 2nd but we continually fired balls in the air as per last season when he was up top. It is obvious his better position would be a number 10 supporting either Zahore or Madine.

I thought Murphy looked good when he came, he’s got a bit of swagger or arrogance, like he feels he belongs in the PL.

Also agree about the point about being higher up the pitch. If we do that, we have to knock the ball long all the time and 9 times out of 10 just give the ball back to the opposition.

I just think in the 1st half there was almost a rabbit in the headlight mentality, like there was a realisation they were now playing in the PL. 2nd half they seemed to settle down but there’s no doubt that Bournemouth had that bit of extra quality and know how and were clinical.

I think the players will learn from this experience and will be better for it next week and onwards.

Re: FT: BOURNEMOUTH 2 - 0 CARDIFF CITY. Match thread

Murphy looked sharp when he came on and changed things for the better. Seemed to take a knock or a awkward slip which slowed him right down. He didn't signal the bench about it which surprised me. Did anybody else notice it.
    Spedger