+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How positive can you stay?

Re: How positive can you stay?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Not necessarily a positive thing that. For his limitations he scores goals and was our top scorer, all that from a new signing playing in a new position.

I'm not sure we have strengthened significantly going forward that we can just drop a player capable of those goals from midfield.
    we have to bear in mind that he was signed as a fullback and not a midfielder and it was warnock who changed his position. i agree it worked in the championship but probably out of his depth in the premiership

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Not necessarily a positive thing that. For his limitations he scores goals and was our top scorer, all that from a new signing playing in a new position.

I'm not sure we have strengthened significantly going forward that we can just drop a player capable of those goals from midfield.
    You could argue that he's taking up Reid's best position at the moment, behind the striker. Reid still offers goals (as shown last season) but also a lot more in open play than Paterson does. Paterson is a bit of an enigma - he scores goals and wins a lot of headers, but doesn't appear to be able to do anything else.

I'll be very disappointed if Reid isn't playing behind Zohore or Ward on Saturday.

Hopefully that midfield on Saturday will never need to be repeated with Arter, Camarasa and Gunnarsson once fit to select from. I’m concerned about Peltier over Richards and Mendez-Lang over Murphy, don’t think those two starters are Premier League players. The fact that with Zohore unfit Madine was not introduced until the 88th minute tells you all you need to know about the faith the management have in Madine, not buying another striker looks a bit reckless to me. I like Reid and Murphy and think we can fashion a decent first 11 out of our squad. We must use home advantage to stay alive until January and then look again where we are, I’m sure we’ll all be roaring the boys on even when things get a bit sticky. Bluebirds!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Ok. It’s only one game. But it was a game that showed straight away, how poor our squad is.
    I’m not wanting us to get into massive debt, to chase the almost impossible dream, and I will always be a bluebird, what ever happens to the club, but I fear we really are in for a torrid time this season.
    The gulf in class between the premier league and the championship is massive, and with the signings we’ve made, I think we could well end up getting the least amount of points since the premier league started.
    Anyone that knows me will tell you I’m a positive and optimistic kinda guy, but also a realist. On paper I feel we have one of the weakest squads to ever appear in the top flight.
    It goes without saying that I’d love to be proved wrong, but I feel it will be a long, hard season that will test the patience of every one of our fans.
    You say that you are a 'positive and optimistic kinda guy' but the evidence of your own post above indicates the exact opposite. How the hell you can write off our chances like that after one game, where most observers stated that we did ok for large periods in the second half of the game. Also where two of our new signings didnt feature at all, one only came on in the second half and two others of our main squad were out injured, is beyond me. Get a grip.

Very positive. Once the changes were made I think we showed that we can trouble a side of Bournemouth's ability which should mean we can trouble the majority.

Bamba isn't a midfielder.
    Reid isn't a lone striker.
    Murphy is a step above NML.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I think that's a good summary for how I am feeling about things too. We've taken a long odds bet on surviving in the Prem whilst ensuring the financial health and facilities of the Club improve. Whilst this focus on off-field improvement vs on-field improvement seems odd I think it is the best way forward for us when I look at the mess Sunderland, Villa and Brum have got themselves into from gambling beyond their means.

Given what I have seen over the years at Cardiff, this approach suits me fine despite my advancing years and the possibility we may never get here again in my lifetime. I'd rather the Club grew gradually and sustainably and my kids and grandkids had a Club to support.

However, where I differ from you is that I think once we've settled into the division after a few games that we will more than ruffle a few feathers as I do think we will have enough going forward with the new players plus our attack that did well last year.

The Championship is a good league and you don't get out of it by being a rubbish team. I don't subscribe to the National media bullshit and propaganda that we don't stand a chance, but the players have to believe that themselves for us to be able to give this a real good go. I think this is where NW's strategy of bringing in leaders wherever he can will pay off.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what these players are capable of doing as right now anything is possible still...
    Ditto your last line.

I was happy to get promotion. I want us to stay up. However, I just don't see how it can be done. We just don't have enough talent. In my opinion we needed at least a 50m investment and 2 or 3 more new faces.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You say that you are a 'positive and optimistic kinda guy' but the evidence of your own post above indicates the exact opposite. How the hell you can write off our chances like that after one game, where most observers stated that we did ok for large periods in the second half of the game. Also where two of our new signings didnt feature at all, one only came on in the second half and two others of our main squad were out injured, is beyond me. Get a grip.
    You do know that it’s possible to be positive and optimistic, but not on every occasion do you?