+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Shooting

Our Shooting

Cardiff’s strategy is no secret. They will sacrifice possession (37% on Saturday – the lowest in the Premier League), play a low number of passes (175 completed on Saturday – the lowest in the Premier League by 83) and look to play directly (61% passing accuracy on Saturday – the lowest in the Premier League by 8%).

It’s a tactic that might well work against some teams, but it does rely on Cardiff making the most of the chances that do come their way. One shot on target from ten shots is not a good start.
    Is this fair? Is it something that will be improved with a few changes?

Was the problem more that we didn’t create enough good chances and are shooting from poor angles?

Heisenberg

Re: Our Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Was the problem more that we didn’t create enough good chances and are shooting from poor angles?
    In terms of us creating anything, I can only think of the Morrison chance that Begovic somehow managed to keep out and NML missing the far post cross from Ralls (I missed the first 15mins of the second half though). If that was actually the case, then we definitely need to create more, otherwise we would have had to score 100% of our chances to have got a draw on Saturday.

Edit: I guess Reid's skied free-kick could possibly count as a chance too, but that's certainly debatable.

Looking at it factually, 1 shot out of 10 on target is not very good. We did have our fabulous front three up front, who were supposed to cause havoc, so let's hope it was just a blip and things improve dramatically very soon.

That didn't ring true last season, we had the 3rd (I think) most shots. I think it'll come good (to an extent). You're always going to struggle to retain the ball with Bamba and Paterson in the middle, and then you won't create chances as they can't pick a pass.

Seems to be fair. Need to hit the target more often.

I remember Reid and Ralls forcing saves/blocks from shots that were seemingly on target

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    That didn't ring true last season, we had the 3rd (I think) most shots. I think it'll come good (to an extent). You're always going to struggle to retain the ball with Bamba and Paterson in the middle, and then you won't create chances as they can't pick a pass.
    Lack of possession meant very little on Saturday but difficulty in holding on to the ball when we did have it made things a lot more tricky. Players out of position made it more difficult so expect things to improve and get back to moving it into dangerous areas more quickly.

I’d like our players to take more risks and have a shot from distance rather than the first thought to must cross the ball

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I’d like our players to take more risks and have a shot from distance rather than the first thought to must cross the ball
    I tink only Zohore has sufficient power in his shot to beat a Prem keeper from distance. We may get the odd lucky rebound but there is a good reason to get the ball in the box if their keeper is already set for a potential long range shot.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I remember Reid and Ralls forcing saves/blocks from shots that were seemingly on target
    I think shots have to be saved by the keeper to count as on target. Shots blocked by defenders that bounce away from goal, don't count as on target I believe, even if they were heading straight towards goal. The exception to this being is a defender blocks the ball on the goal line with the keeper beaten.

https://twitter.com/XGEEFAX/status/1...727843840?s=19

This suggests we had 5 on target, but many of our shots did seem to be from crap areas