+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The "Stupid Obsession" with playing out from the back

The "Stupid Obsession" with playing out from the back

Thoughts? While I love watching Man City and Liverpool play I agree there's a weird obsession that football can only be played one way these days. Stoke always got a slagging but I always loved watching them give Arsenal a bloody nose.

It turned out to be perhaps the worst start Unai Emery could have asked for. Some said the new Arsenal boss was facing all-conquering champions Manchester City last weekend at the right time but Pep Guardiola’s men made a mockery of that theory with a performance full of their typical energy and penetration and, worryingly for their rivals, some tactical evolution.

It seemed to be more about revolution for Emery upon taking charge of his first Premier League match, despite fielding only two of his new signings. The rest of his side was rather more recognisable from the previous era, though how Arsene Wenger’s players were instructed to play was more unfamiliar.

Against City, the Premier League kings of the high press, Emery instructed his goalkeeper and defence to take on Guardiola’s men at their own game. Perhaps taking his tactical inspiration from a children’s classic, the new Gunners boss evidently decided: ‘We can’t go over it, we can’t go under it. We’ve got to go through it.’

With the ball at his feet, Petr Cech stumble-tripped his way through much of the afternoon as he stuck willfully to his instructions. “It is a pleasant change for me,” he protested after the game when asked how he felt about playing out from the back, and you cannot blame the veteran keeper for attempting to offer the illusion of comfort when his job is under threat from Emery’s recruit, Bernd Leno. But his performance told a different story.

Others were rather less impressed than Cech with Emery’s insistence on building play from the very back. The performance left Tony Adams “deflated and disappointed”, while Sam Allardyce went in two-footed.

“This is the manager’s fault,” he told talkSPORT. “It’s his fault. Don’t ask somebody to do against Manchester City what you shouldn’t do, and you should not play out like that against Manchester City.

“What do Manchester City do?” he continued. “Press, press, press. So why do you try and play out when they press, press, press? Even the Arsenal crowd cheered when they dropped one in the opposition half.”

Emery bore the brunt of Allardyce’s ire and though the delivery could be queried, the question was entirely valid. The Arsenal boss might offer reasonable mitigation – it was a statement of intent at the start of a project rather than the safest route to victory – but he certainly had a case to answer.

Emery, though, was merely the straw that broke the dinosaur’s back.

“You cannot just force ‘the only way to play is this way’ in this country,” Allardyce continued. “We are getting obsessed with this stupid ‘let’s play out from the back, split the centre halves, either side of the 18-yard box and go and play from there’… it’s utter rubbish to play like that all of the time.”

Allardyce’s frustration has been bubbling for a considerable while. In his mind, he should be preparing his Everton side to face Southampton rather than chewing the fat with Alan Brazil on breakfast radio but the 63-year-old finds himself out of a job despite achieving the objectives he was given when handed the Goodison Park reins. Winning – or rather, not losing – was not enough for Evertonians. Like most supporters, they wanted it done in style, or at least with a semblance of fun involved. And, as Allardyce bemoaned, one particular style is very much in vogue.

You can blame Guardiola for that. He has revolutionised English football – even Allardyce would probably admit that, albeit begrudgingly. The Manchester City boss took an underwhelming season to suss out the Premier League and spent a fortune while doing so, but he has shifted the tactical goalposts. Playing Pep’s way, City have demonstrated the kind of football rarely seen on these shores. It was a privilege to watch his team sweep aside the rest of the division last season.

The revolution gathers pace once the copycats follow the lone genius, which is what we are seeing now. Mauricio Pochettino and Jurgen Klopp will argue that their projects pre-date Guardiola’s arrival but Maurizio Sarri was appointed at Chelsea having followed Pep’s lead at Napoli and Emery appears keen to give Arsenal a similar identity.

‘Attractive, attacking football’. It is what all supporters want to be promised when a new manager is appointed – Everton fans certainly lapped it up when Marco Silva was appointed to bring his brand of pressing and possession in place of Allardyce’s pragmatism. They have seen Klopp play that way across the park and, understandably, want a piece of the action.

Allardyce was fair to describe the fascination as an obsession. Fans have become fixated with ‘attractive football’ now that Guardiola has stepped up with a definition which seems to have been widely adopted. It’s become a black and white issue. If you’re not playing out from the back with a gloved Franz Beckenbauer in the sticks, if you’re not pressing relentlessly with the force of a thousand suns, and your full-backs are not weaving pretty patterns in the half-spaces, then you’re playing anti-football.

In football, as in life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To some, watching Burnley defend under Sean Dyche, with the back five persistently shifting in tandem to deny quality shooting opportunities, is as enthralling as any Gegenpress. To others, Route One can be more thrilling and effective than going from point A to points C, D and E, just to take the scenic route to point B. And that’s fine.

When contrasting styles clash, it often leads to the most fascinating battles. Plus, in any case, not every side can play the City way as well as City. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but having conceded a two-year headstart, it may not be the wisest way to rein in the champions, as the Community Shield and opening weekend suggested.

Allardyce has a vested interest in registering his concern with the ‘obsession’. He would never get another job if the craze continues to spread at its present rate of growth. But Big Sam is right – not everyone can play Pep-ball, and nor should we want everyone to.
    https://www.football365.com/news/f36...upid-obsession

Re: The "Stupid Obsession" with playing out from the back

Each to their own. I’d rather watch teams play pass and move than watch the likes of Burnley stifle and strangle teams.
    It’s not only the best teams who can do it either. Watch Brentford’s goal against Stoke last Saturday for your answer. If Brazil or Liverpool had scored that goal they’d be repeating it for years.

I saw it and it was class, I agree I love watching teams play like that but if everyone played like that would it be as interesting? I always enjoyed the way Man United played at the height of their success and that was hardly passing out from the back. Dave Jones played probably the most entertaining football City have played and every single goal kick went long.

Of course there are different styles you can enjoy. Madrid have always got it forward quicker than Barcelona, Liverpool get it forward quicker than Citeh but they are still what you call “footballing” sides.
    Atletico Madrid are probably the best in the business at stifling the opposition but I can’t watch them. Their antics and manager don’t help mind.
    That’s probably what a lot of non Cardiff fans think of us really.

I love watching Athletico, I think I enjoy the underdog bloodying a few noses as much as I like the aesthetic aspects of football. Leicester didn't play "the best" football when they won the league but their matches were more enjoyable to watch about anyone elses just because of the story that went with it.

I think with football the entertainment is dictated as much by the narrative as it is by the actual football on show. Hence why relegation battles and play off matches are always entertaining in spite of who's playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I saw it and it was class, I agree I love watching teams play like that but if everyone played like that would it be as interesting? I always enjoyed the way Man United played at the height of their success and that was hardly passing out from the back. Dave Jones played probably the most entertaining football City have played and every single goal kick went long.
    One thing for sure is that the game would be a lot more boring if every side played like us or a Sam Allardyce team. That said, I couldn't believe what I was seeing at times from Arsenal on Sunday and I agree with Allardyce there, but there are times when playing out from the back will drag a side that is sitting back, playing a counter attacking game out of position and that may lead to spaces in areas where there wouldn't be any of the ball was just being knocked forward bypassing the midfield.
    The thing that worries me above all else for this season is that, unless Arter and Camarasa bring about an improvement in our passing, we are going to be forced into playing our counter attacking game against teams that will not be too interested in leaving space in behind them because they will have a lead to defend. If and when that happens, I'm not sure we'll have the technical ability to try something different if our Plan A isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One thing for sure is that the game would be a lot more boring if every side played like us or a Sam Allardyce team. That said, I couldn't believe what I was seeing at times from Arsenal on Sunday and I agree with Allardyce there, but there are times when playing out from the back will drag a side that is sitting back, playing a counter attacking game out of position and that may lead to spaces in areas where there wouldn't be any of the ball was just being knocked forward bypassing the midfield.
    The thing that worries me above all else for this season is that, unless Arter and Camarasa bring about an improvement in our passing, we are going to be forced into playing our counter attacking game against teams that will not be too interested in leaving space in behind them because they will have a lead to defend. If and when that happens, I'm not sure we'll have the technical ability to try something different if our Plan A isn't working.
    I think we just aren't good enough tbh, Warnock worked wonders getting us up when we had no right to but I wonder if it came "too soon" and if we have the money and systems in place to improve enough.

I agree if every team played long hoof ball it'd be shit.

My favourite game stopping this was us at Jacks away when we put three players on them to prevent it.
    It worked. It’s a stupid idea tippy tippy forward, wastes time and is mega boring.

Totally agree with the OP. Great watching tippy tap football but playing out from the back at all costs is not clever. Just look at the number of horrendous mistakes week in week out by either the keeper or defenders trying to be clever. Silly needless goals being gifted to the opposition.

It looked awkward at times.

I think the reason the best teams pass the ball is because it allowes them to move as a unit. It creates balance, not because it looks pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolff View Post
    I think the reason the best teams pass the ball is because it allowes them to move as a unit. It creates balance, not because it looks pretty.
    It's f ucking boring though

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It's f ucking boring though
    It can be. But so can getting a sore neck watching hoof balls coming right back at you, and without that balance. I don’t think it’s necessarily style that makes a game fun to watch. There are lots of different aspects. For me it’s skill, tempo and versatile tactics, but that won’t tick the boxes for others.

It can be. But so can getting a sore neck watching hoof balls coming right back at you, and without that balance. I don’t think it’s necessarily style that makes a game fun to watch. There are lots of different aspects. For me it’s skill, tempo and versatile tactics, but that won’t tick the boxes for others.
    But if your team is 1-0 down, in the 89 minute, where do you want the ball ?

Tippy tappying in your own half, or in the oppositions box. ?

If the answer is "the oppositions box", then why the christ not do it EARLIER.

Get into 'UM, f uck 'UM up

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    But if your team is 1-0 down, in the 89 minute, where do you want the ball ?

Tippy tappying in your own half, or in the oppositions box. ?

If the answer is "the oppositions box", then why the christ not do it EARLIER.

Get into 'UM, f uck 'UM up
    I think more often than not that’s when you go down by two. But you have to risk it at that point. There’s that balance again. But a game can be entertained by many aspects like i said, and each to their own 👍 But i really hate it when it becomes a tennis match 😉

I think more often than not that’s when you go down by two. But you have to risk it at that point. There’s that balance again. But a game can be entertained by many aspects like i said, and each to their own �� But i really hate it when it becomes a tennis match ��
    I know, it's a racket