+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What a load of crap

Re: What a load of crap

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Sterling has shit on both QPR, and then Liverpool in his quest to get to the top of the pay scale. A single minded individual who doesn’t know the meaning of the word loyalty. This is reflected in his private life, where he’s shit on the mother of his children from a great height.

He’s an undesirable regardless of skin colour.
    Goodness me, how many former city players have left us in the same way as R.S ?

I still can’t believe anyone would say he’s undesirable or any worse than any other footballer. He has such a good reputation in the game, does charity work and is supposed to be a very down to earth guy.

The papers lied about him having a load of kids with different women and about him cheating on his mrs.

They have painted him to be something he isn’t when he’s done nothing.

Anyone who thinks he’s a “wrongun” have been brainwashed by the media.

The way the sun and mail have handled this is pathetic.

Im glad kitson has been called out on his bollocks too.

I have completely changed my mind for some time now, it really was racist, only thing I disliked about him was his falling over with the lightest touch, and complaining to the ref, but he seems to have removed that from his game, so long may it continue

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    I have completely changed my mind for some time now, it really was racist, only thing I disliked about him was his falling over with the lightest touch, and complaining to the ref, but he seems to have removed that from his game, so long may it continue
    Fair play. If that makes you hate a player you must hate 90% of them mind

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Fair play. If that makes you hate a player you must hate 90% of them mind
    Yes i do hate the diving sods bloody snowflakes

Sterling has had a lot of crap thrown his way by our shitty press. I have no doubt it has a racist edge to it. Good to see he’s calling the gutter press out for it.

Just flicked back through this thread and there are a number of posts that I’d hope the poster would want to delete (or maybe not if they’re a blind racist)

I was as critical of Sterling as anyone around the times of Euro 2016. However, he does seem to be singled out for an awful lot of stuff which I can't help feeling would go virtually ignored if his skin was a different colour.

I like to think I'm not racist at all when it comes to assessing footballers - for example, if someone asked me how many black players are in this or other recent City teams, it would take me quite some time to come up with any answer because I have only seen them as City players, not black City players. However, I do think we're getting towards a stage where there will be those who see any criticism of a black or overseas player as racism and that cannot be right. If they are just players when it comes to describing them, then they should be as open to constructive criticism as any other player is - there shouldn't be "kneejerk" racism accusations in instances like that.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was as critical of Sterling as anyone around the times of Euro 2016. However, he does seem to be singled out for an awful lot of stuff which I can't help feeling would go virtually ignored if his skin was a different colour.

I like to think I'm not racist at all when it comes to assessing footballers - for example, if someone asked me how many black players are in this or other recent City teams, it would take me quite some time to come up with any answer because I have only seen them as City players, not black City players. However, I do think we're getting towards a stage where there will be those who see any criticism of a black or overseas player as racism and that cannot be right. If they are just players when it comes to describing them, then they should be as open to constructive criticism as any other player is - there shouldn't be "kneejerk" racism accusations in instances like that.
    Where have there been knee jerk reactions though? None of this is about sterling’s ability, it can’t be because he has been one of the most consistent players in the league for the last 2 years.

These stories have been personal attacks on him for just living his life. This has nothing to do with ability and no one is saying you can’t criticise someone due to race.

We hear every week how bad lukaku’s touch is. No one thinks that’s because he’s black.

I happen to think that, for all of his ability, Sterling can go missing in the really important games. Time was that something like that would be put down to the colour of his skin. Although some recent events make me wonder whether we have really come as far as it's been claimed we have when it comes to race and football, I don't believe at all that this applies any more and it's certainly not what I was implying when I said it.

However, although I accept that it is not as serious a matter as any racist abuse directed at black players. I do feel that if, for example, I said on my blog that Sterling went missing in a big game, there would be a reasonable chance that I would be accused of racism by someone, somewhere when I was only making, and only intending to make, a judgement solely based on him as a player.

No you wouldn’t. If you look at the evidence of front and back pages not once is anyone talking about his performance. You’re being paranoid.

Id accuse you of no having a clue though tbh he’s been consistently quality for Man City the last 2 seasons. Pretty sure he has more goals and assists than anyone else in the league over the last year.

All I'm saying is that I don't think Sterling is quite as good as you think he is, nothing more, nothing less and yet I'm being paranoid?

You're not accusing me of being racist (at least I don't think you are), but in other ways what you're saying is symptomatic of what I'm talking about. Credit to Sterling, his response to what happened on the weekend was a mature and intelligent one, but I don't see why I should have to change a view of him as a footballer I had before some Chelsea moron called him a black (although the guy claims he said "manc" apparently) c*nt" - the way Sterling has been treated before this weekend stinks, all I'm saying is that I don't want things to go from one extreme to another with him.

No one’s saying you have to change your view of him of a footballer, this thread is basically nothing to do with him as a footballer. I think bringing up how good he is and saying you’re afraid of criticising him is missing the point completely.

No one is slagging off pundits for saying he isn’t good enough, people are slagging off the papers for saying he’s bad for going to Greggs and the poundshop.

The sports journalists have actually said those stories come from the non sports section, hence why what people think of his ability isn’t an issue.

All I was saying is I disagree with you when you talk about how good he is because you mentioned it.